Re: AGM and open Supporters Club Meeting

Lucky Mascot 2 wrote:Trying to keep at the back if I am honest so just a few simple questions. Read the Trust website and is it a Newport County AFC agm or a Trust agm followed by an open meeting. Do you need proof of trust membership for the agm and the open meeting. Will there be representatation from the trust board, club group, community board and operations group. Are you able to ask questions about the trust finances and club finances. Oh and is that real share holders or communuty share holders that can attend and do you need to show anything?
I don’t know what could be considered proof of trust membership ( no card ) so I’m just bringing personal ID and hope that suffices. I can’t find my share certificate and in any case that wouldn’t prove membership of the Trust.

Harps62 wrote:The trust directors are the legal owners of the club
How do the trust donate funds to the club
Donate seems a strange word here.

The members of the trust own the majority of the shares in the club but other people also own shares in the club.
Because the Trust own the majority of the shares in the club, they can decide who sits on the board of the club as nobody can out vote them. They have decided that all directors of the Trust will also be directors of the club and sit on the board it seems.
The Trust collects money as it has always done, through annual subscriptions, rewards and benefits etc. This is totally separate to the financial running of the football club. The Trust has its own accounts and that money goes into the Trust bank account until the Trust either spends it on running the Trust or donates it to the club.
The Trust donates money (actually it loans money to the club and the loan is repaid in shares thus increasing the majority of shares held by the Trust) to the club from the Trust's funds. This is what happened with the Community Shares money.
To complicate things further, the club could pay a dividend, the majority of which would go to the Trust if they did but the rest would go to all of the other shareholders in the club.

Lucky Mascot 2 wrote:I dont have a trust card either, although I have a pin badge. I was thinking about taking my passport. I am a community share holder but if it is a club agm I wont be able to vote on anything because I dont have real shares although I can sit in on the club agm because I am trust member. If I cant prove trust membership I might be able to collect my community shares certificate which may entitle me to entry if it is trust agm but I wont be able to vote.
It's just all so fecking mental!

Thank you for reminding me about my badge though! Must dig that out.

Like Exile says
Same as the recent vote when all they asked me was my name and I showed them my drivers license.
Didn't even ask for my number.
Sorry to complicate things but still not 100% sure if its just community shares or the £10 annual fee type member who can vote.
Nobody on here is 100% possibly the BOD do not know either and finally Alex states its nothing to do with him or the county.
In his words.
After asking in my mail about openness
"Direct any issues towards the Newport County AFC Supporters Trust Directors"
Like I said before none the wiser
Think Amber has pretty well sussed it if nobody else has.

Amberexile wrote:
Harps62 wrote:The trust directors are the legal owners of the club
How do the trust donate funds to the club
Donate seems a strange word here.

The members of the trust own the majority of the shares in the club but other people also own shares in the club.
Because the Trust own the majority of the shares in the club, they can decide who sits on the board of the club as nobody can out vote them. They have decided that all directors of the Trust will also be directors of the club and sit on the board it seems.
The Trust collects money as it has always done, through annual subscriptions, rewards and benefits etc. This is totally separate to the financial running of the football club. The Trust has its own accounts and that money goes into the Trust bank account until the Trust either spends it on running the Trust or donates it to the club.
The Trust donates money (actually it loans money to the club and the loan is repaid in shares thus increasing the majority of shares held by the Trust) to the club from the Trust's funds. This is what happened with the Community Shares money.
To complicate things further, the club could pay a dividend, the majority of which would go to the Trust if they did but the rest would go to all of the other shareholders in the club.

The emboldened area above, if true, (and I don't doubt it), needs a complete overhaul, so that monies raised via it are used for the ongoing sustainability of the football club... phone bills, printing, transport, hotel stays etc....... currently it sounds as though, if it needs anything, The Football Club has to ask for funds from the Trust, which are then given in exchange for shares. That's NOT what I thought I was donating to.

G Guest wrote:I have not received a reply to my enquiry about whether this AGM is a company AGM but the news item on the website has been amended again. This time to remove the reference to shareholders. I think that it is quite clear now that this is the supporters trust AGM only.
A does not know what B is doing.
What chance have us humble supporters got.
Seriously those in charge are struggling with this complicated set up.
Even the CEO tells me its nothing to do with him.

Harps62 wrote:
G Guest wrote:I have not received a reply to my enquiry about whether this AGM is a company AGM but the news item on the website has been amended again. This time to remove the reference to shareholders. I think that it is quite clear now that this is the supporters trust AGM only.
I suppose it may be possible to liquidate the company and replace it with an association of members which could be identical to the supporters trust. The last football league club to be run on that basis was Nottingham Forest IIRC. Forest had no board of directors and was run by a committee as recently as 1972. But it would take a lot of work contacting shareholders (impossible in the case of those who have died since shares were issued in 1989) to get their agreement. Also it may mean giving up limited liability for the club's debts, I'm not sure about that. Not worth the hassle I would suggest.

G Guest wrote:
Harps62 wrote:
I suppose it may be possible to liquidate the company and replace it with an association of members which could be identical to the supporters trust. The last football league club to be run on that basis was Nottingham Forest IIRC. Forest had no board of directors and was run by a committee as recently as 1972. But it would take a lot of work contacting shareholders (impossible in the case of those who have died since shares were issued in 1989) to get their agreement. Also it may mean giving up limited liability for the club's debts, I'm not sure about that. Not worth the hassle I would suggest.
Not to mention that one of the reasons Forest fell from grace in the early days of the Premier League was because their ownership structure was so complex they weren't able to be converted into a company that could trade on the stock exchange back when everyone else was doing that to generate funds.

Harps62 wrote:Sent Alex an e mail 7.30 this morning.

Blimey that's a quick response, asked him why no news and what had happened to the January supporters meeting?

Pretty shocked though that they think our AGM will only take 30 minutes.
The AGM is the technical part of a meeting, approval of previous AGM minutes, presentation of Accts. and appointment of Auditors. The "convesrations" and Q&A's happen at following supporters meeting.