David Pipe

From argus:-
NEWPORT County AFC manager Michael Flynn has revealed that defender David Pipe has triggered a clause in his contract to stay at the club for next season.

Pipe, who will turn 35 in November, made his 35th appearance of the campaign in last Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Notts County at Rodney Parade.

And the Exiles yesterday released Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, leaving Pipe and young Swansea City loanee Tyler Reid as the main options for the right-back or right wing-back roles.

“If you’d said to me at the start of the season that David Pipe would play as many games as he has I wouldn’t have thought he would have done that,” said Flynn.
That’s a credit to David. He pushes himself. He has bad games, as we all do, but he’s been very consistent this season.

“And he’s doing a lot of work now with Tyler as well to try to get him in good shape.

“That’s the kind of team spirit we need and it’s good for David too because he wants to go into personal training and physical development of players.

“It’s a good opportunity to showcase what he can do and impress in that way as well because it gives him a little head start on others.
“He can still play and do another role,” he added.

“He’s got another season – he’s already triggered a new contract so all the myths going around about the amount of games in contracts and people not playing is a load of rubbish, if I’m totally honest.

“If you deserve it, you get it. If you don’t, you don’t – it’s as simple as that. And David’s deserved it this season so he’s got another year.

“He’ll definitely be here unless he wants to leave. If he gets an offer somewhere that he can’t refuse then I’ll never stand in his way but I’m sure he won’t be leaving Newport.”

Midfielder Matty Dolan is also full of praise for veteran defender Pipe, who won a single cap for Wales back in 2003.

“He’s brilliant,” said Dolan. “He’s been a credit all season, he’s been fantastic.

“He’s triggered that clause in his contract and it will be brilliant to have him here next year.

“He seems to be getting fitter – he’s getting an extra ab every time I look at him!

“Congratulations to Pipey, he’s Mr Newport and he deserves it.”

Last edited by County Exile on February 22nd, 2018, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: David Pipe

somertonteen wrote:Plenty of fight but no pace.
But you have to remember that many of the wingers he's marking are equally one-paced. It's horses for courses, and in at least half our games, he's the right selection as he can outmuscle most of the players he'd be marking. On the days when the opposition have a quick left-winger, you pick someone who can deal with that.

I'm delighted we've got him for another season. He'll surely play enough games to deserve a wage - but on top of that, you've got someone who'll help bring through and guide the younger players, someone who'll organise the defence, and someone who'll demand high standards from his fellow professionals. I'm sure Flynny will be thinking whether/how Pipe can take on additional duties with coaching etc to formalise some of those skills into a coaching role eventually.

neilcork68 wrote:Seeing how he keeps himself fit and is looking into the area of fitness training as a future , why not make him player/fitness coach ?
My thinking exactly. I think we have at least one sports scientist possibly two who are students from a local university. But a dedicated fitness coach would be nice and a player/coach contract would save money in the budget. No brainier for me

Pipe has performed much better than I expected when we re-signed him, but as has been said above, we are going to be in trouble if he plays regularly next season.

Many posters comment on the shortcomings of a variety of players and our lack of alternatives in some positions, but for me right-back is possibly our greatest area of inadequacy. Of our options this season, Jazzi I rated as much as Flynn did. Reid doesn't seem the answer (yet, at least). White is a fabulous central defender, but not much of a right-back (and an awful left-back). Willmott could just about do a job as a right-wing-back at a push. Pipe therefore the best bet. Trouble is, Pipe no longer gets forward as much as you'd expect a right-back in a back four to do, and nowhere near enough for a wing-back. Flynn was spot on when he said that playing three centre-backs might make us more solid, but it stifles our creativity. Playing five at the back, we offer nothing attacking-wise down our right with Pipe in the side.
It's not even as if Pipe's shortcomings are compensated for by being top-notch defensively. He shows real drive, determination and leadership, but as a performer he's decent, nothing more. He'll be a valuable squad member, nothing more.

UPTHEPORT wrote:I think people forget we are a league two side our players are not going to be premierchump standard
Can we not expect to try and find someone of the standard of Ryan Jackson though? that's the levels we once had at right back. We aint asking for Dani Alves.

Percy plunkett wrote:Surprised we still offer appearance related contracts.The problems it has caused with Jazzi and Rigg,then Pipey and Flynny in the past.I hope there are no more within our squad.
Maybe its what Agents are demanding now. Seems ridiculous that we would keep putting ourselves in this position.

Percy plunkett wrote:Surprised we still offer appearance related contracts.The problems it has caused with Jazzi and Rigg,then Pipey and Flynny in the past.I hope there are no more within our squad.
To be honest, if a player plays 35 games for you in a season, I think they have every right to expect that you might want them next year too. It's different if the number is 15/20, but it's hard to make a case that Pipe wouldn't at least be a useful squad player next year.