Re: David Pipe

I was dismayed when Pipe returned from FGR. But I was wrong. He came back a better player and has made an invaluable contribution since.

One of the funniest moments I have had watching County was when the wag in the crowd shouted "Don't tell him Pipe" as the referee was taking his name.

For once may I congratulate the club on doing unquestionably the right thing?

It is possible to argue that it is a mistake per se to offer these triggering clauses. It is possible to argue that it was wrong to offer such an agreement to David Pipe at his age. And it is possible to argue that the outcome is a good one.

However the reason that in my view the club should be congratulated is simply this. It was a decision within the remit of the board of directors. However the supporter owners have the right to know what decision was made and to take that into account when the next election takes place.

The sun still rose, the seas did not engulf the land and the world today is pretty much as it was yesterday. Newport County have not placed themselves at some disadvantage to the rest of league two by putting this in the public domain.

That is how it should be.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Surprised we still offer appearance related contracts.The problems it has caused with Jazzi and Rigg,then Pipey and Flynny in the past.I hope there are no more within our squad.
To be honest, if a player plays 35 games for you in a season, I think they have every right to expect that you might want them next year too. It's different if the number is 15/20, but it's hard to make a case that Pipe wouldn't at least be a useful squad player next year.
I'm not questioning the decision to keep Pipe, but the trigger process.How many others are on these contracts and will some players be sidelined because they are close to triggering a new contract Rigg probably was.

Percy plunkett wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Surprised we still offer appearance related contracts.The problems it has caused with Jazzi and Rigg,then Pipey and Flynny in the past.I hope there are no more within our squad.
To be honest, if a player plays 35 games for you in a season, I think they have every right to expect that you might want them next year too. It's different if the number is 15/20, but it's hard to make a case that Pipe wouldn't at least be a useful squad player next year.
I'm not questioning the decision to keep Pipe, but the trigger process.How many others are on these contracts and will some players be sidelined because they are close to triggering a new contract Rigg probably was.
Percy,

This is my point. Your view is perfectly arguable. The converse view likewise can be argued. However the club have made a decision and informed the supporters/owners what that decision was. And that is all I have ever asked for.

Best wishes.

Stan/Bren

BASSALEG EXILE wrote:You can't seriously expect the club to tell all trust members whether or not a player has an extension clause in his contract?!?!

The club have done just that. This morning. :roll:

The club could have remained silent. Come the summer announcing Pipe was to be retained. The club chose instead to be open. I commend that.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:For once may I congratulate the club on doing unquestionably the right thing?

It is possible to argue that it is a mistake per se to offer these triggering clauses. It is possible to argue that it was wrong to offer such an agreement to David Pipe at his age. And it is possible to argue that the outcome is a good one.

However the reason that in my view the club should be congratulated is simply this. It was a decision within the remit of the board of directors. However the supporter owners have the right to know what decision was made and to take that into account when the next election takes place.

The sun still rose, the seas did not engulf the land and the world today is pretty much as it was yesterday. Newport County have not placed themselves at some disadvantage to the rest of league two by putting this in the public domain.

That is how it should be.
It's effectively an announcement of a player signing for next season, when have clubs ever not announced those?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
BASSALEG EXILE wrote:You can't seriously expect the club to tell all trust members whether or not a player has an extension clause in his contract?!?!

The club could have remained silent. Come the summer announcing Pipe was to be retained. The club chose instead to be open. I commend that.
They have and they haven't. I wouldn't expect them to share anything in a player's personal contract, any more than I would have wanted my employer to share my contract with anyone else. What they have done, is share that information with us, now that it has happened. That's not breaching any confidentiality, just stating a fact - although I don't think that i was strictly necessary to share. Maybe DP didn't mind.

Bush wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:I think people forget we are a league two side our players are not going to be premierchump standard
Can we not expect to try and find someone of the standard of Ryan Jackson though? that's the levels we once had at right back. We aint asking for Dani Alves.
Jackson back at our level so why not.
Also rated Tutonda at Barnet now

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I may have misinterpreted your original post. But do you want the club to tell trust members when a player is signed if there is an appearance trigger clause in their contract? Because I believe that would be unwise. Apologies if I have misunderstood