Re: Rochdale tonight

JonD wrote:Agreed on that. Though I doubt I’ve seen a penalty in the last ten years that, applying the letter of the law, wouldn’t need to be retaken for some transgression or other.

Which is why VAR is such a stinking pile.
I agree. Also the more variants you take out of the game the more predictable the game becomes.

JonD wrote:Agreed on that. Though I doubt I’ve seen a penalty in the last ten years that, applying the letter of the law, wouldn’t need to be retaken for some transgression or other.

The penalty decision wasn't down to VAR, that was the refs call

George Street-Bridge wrote:He stopped near enough to the ball to be able to kick it, but I'd argue it's mid-runup at any point before he does kick it.
It's one thing to "feint" in the run up to a penalty kick . That's gone on for years and our very own John Aldridge was one of the first to use it in an FA Cup Final for Liverpool .

However , Son came to a complete STOP in his run up which has always been against the rules as far as I know .

Ref was completely right to disallow it , but I was expecting him to have to re-take it ??!

excessbee wrote:Jason Bowen was another to employ that technique. It was a change he adopted after having a kick saved (superbly) against Fisher at Dulwich Hamlet. His new style became very reliable.
I was at that game a 3-3 all draw. My recollection is that he used the technique and messed it up.

G Guest wrote:VAR is the emperor's new clothes. People are afraid to say it's rubbish, which it is. It's ruined rugby and it will do the same to football.
VAR is being used in the Bundesliga and MLS without any issues, so I would suggest that the people operating it are to blame not the system.

daftasfxxx wrote:

The penalty decision wasn't down to VAR, that was the refs call
But it was a refereeing error. VAR should have intervened.

Though my point was VAR would theoretically have had to intervene in pretty much every penalty that’s ever taken.

Edit: I see there’s some support on here for the ref’s decision so maybe I’ve jumped the gun.

Edit2: VAR was consulted re the penalty. Hmm.

Edit3: yes, I now agree that Son stopped. Is that different to a feint? I admit I’m struggling with the rules here.
Last edited by JonD on March 1st, 2018, 1:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

penycwm county wrote:
G Guest wrote:VAR is the emperor's new clothes. People are afraid to say it's rubbish, which it is. It's ruined rugby and it will do the same to football.
VAR is being used in the Bundesliga and MLS without any issues, so I would suggest that the people operating it are to blame not the system.
That’s interesting. I’ve heard the exact opposite re Bundesliga. No idea how true that is.

penycwm county wrote:

VAR has had numerous problems in the Bundesliga. Here's just one report ...

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/v ... bundesliga