Re: Rochdale tonight

Ugo. wrote:
PerthDave wrote:VAR haters out in force tonight :grin: :grin:

rgds Dave
Yes, it's not a problem with VAR as such, it's a problem with the referees. The ref on the field is scared to make his own decision when the VAR is there, the award of the penalty and disallowed penalty were clearly correct and I don't know why the linesman didn't pick up that the offence carried on into the penalty area and the ref and made the right call on Son's ridiculous run up, why did he need the VAR.

As for disallowing the first goal, that was a ridiculous decision by the ref watching the video.
Yes, but that is the problem. That it makes referees behave differently and not take responsibility for reffing the game. I know the camera works. It's the effects on the humans that is the problem.

Corpaboy wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:getting a bit of a stuffing now :( 5-1 with 3 minutes to go
Tottenham 6 - 1 Rochdale
Tottenham 2 - 0 Newport County ........

Shows how well we did really doesn't it ?

Plus the first goal that was disallowed by VAR . Still cant see that was deemed enough of a foul to have the goal chalked off. The penalty , yes that was against the laws of the game and deserved to be ruled as ' no goal '
If that had gone in it could have been more of a rout

mad norm wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:getting a bit of a stuffing now :( 5-1 with 3 minutes to go
Tottenham 6 - 1 Rochdale
Tottenham 2 - 0 Newport County ........

Shows how well we did really doesn't it ?
No :mrgreen:
I'm not even going to bite on that one , Norm !
You been pickling again ??

The whole penalty debacle was a dog’s dinner. By the time the ball was kicked the penalty area resembled a country dance there were that many people in it.

And the rule against pausing in the spot-kick run-up refers specifically to the end of the run-up. Son paused mid-run-up. There’s no rule against that.

I’m opposed to VAR so endless tv shots of a gormless ref with a finger in his ear had me purring with joy. What a fiasco.

EDIT: quote from the FA website detailing the offence of pausing prior to taking a pen:

feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted)

George Street-Bridge wrote:I'd argue he stopped mid-runup, i.e. he ended it. Better if the law said no feinting at all.

Wonder if one thing with VAR is refs don't like it so they play up. Why make a marginal call if you aren't trusted?
Ha, that’s thought-provoking. So you’re saying he stopped rather than feinted? Then he restarted?

That’d be a can of worms. We’d need Craig Revel-Horwood in the VAR box making those sorts of calls.