12 months ago

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

supporter

Posts

230

12 months ago

Postby supporter » March 11th, 2018, 3:28 pm

So 12 months on from the first game of the great escape who would've thought we' be talking about chasing down a playoff place. Refreshing to see Flynny talking about not giving up- its not in this managements/players goups DNA thats been evident all season. One of the reasons I find it refreshing and also reassuring is I sometimes look back and although Yeovil started last season well after a good end to the previous season they were woeful from January onwards, I remember going to Plymouth last Easter Monday losing 6-1 and the team still being applauded off, the Good Friday before we beat Yeovil 1-0 and trust me they were worse over the whole 90 minutes than we were at Plymouth and their fans slaughtered them and I think they brought a losing mentality into this season. Lot of football to be played yet and also let's not forget 2 of our rivals Mansfield and Swindon have had unexpected changes of management. We might make it we might not but you know we'll give it a right go.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Posts

5980

Location

Cardiff, UK

Re: 12 months ago

Postby newgroundrodney » March 11th, 2018, 3:37 pm

supporter wrote:So 12 months on from the first game of the great escape who would've thought we' be talking about chasing down a playoff place. Refreshing to see Flynny talking about not giving up- its not in this managements/players goups DNA thats been evident all season. One of the reasons I find it refreshing and also reassuring is I sometimes look back and although Yeovil started last season well after a good end to the previous season they were woeful from January onwards, I remember going to Plymouth last Easter Monday losing 6-1 and the team still being applauded off, the Good Friday before we beat Yeovil 1-0 and trust me they were worse over the whole 90 minutes than we were at Plymouth and their fans slaughtered them and I think they brought a losing mentality into this season. Lot of football to be played yet and also let's not forget 2 of our rivals Mansfield and Swindon have had unexpected changes of management. We might make it we might not but you know we'll give it a right go.


If we try for the highest finishing place we can attain, if then, we faile somewhat along the way, we'll have still finished as high as just about any fan dared to dream of this time last year.
After one year, Flynny has got us almost as close in points to automatic promotion as we were from safety when he took the helm!...... we need to remember that. The transformation under Flynn has been just about as complete as it could be in one year.....
Where will we be one year from NOW?
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9730

Re: 12 months ago

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 11th, 2018, 3:53 pm

supporter wrote:So 12 months on from the first game of the great escape who would've thought we' be talking about chasing down a playoff place. Refreshing to see Flynny talking about not giving up- its not in this managements/players goups DNA thats been evident all season. One of the reasons I find it refreshing and also reassuring is I sometimes look back and although Yeovil started last season well after a good end to the previous season they were woeful from January onwards, I remember going to Plymouth last Easter Monday losing 6-1 and the team still being applauded off, the Good Friday before we beat Yeovil 1-0 and trust me they were worse over the whole 90 minutes than we were at Plymouth and their fans slaughtered them and I think they brought a losing mentality into this season. Lot of football to be played yet and also let's not forget 2 of our rivals Mansfield and Swindon have had unexpected changes of management. We might make it we might not but you know we'll give it a right go.


I hope so. One word of caution. Yesterday was a very good result. But it was just one result. Let's just see where we are with five games to go. Last year after the Yeovil game I remember posting that once you're in March only results mattered, if you won it didn't matter how.

Also we now have three home games. In my view we need to average two points a game to have a chance of making the play-offs. Luton and Coventry are difficult, Crewe no disrespect a little less so. We could play well in all three games draw with Luton and Coventry and stuff Crewe. We would have five points, not quite good enough. We know Luton when they click can destroy teams. We could get slaughtered by Luton 6-0. Play poorly against Crewe and win 1-0, play okay against Coventry and fluke a late 1-0. Six points and we're on course.

I think we should give it as you put it 'a right go'. In fairness I think notwithstanding his tactical weaknesses the situation as it stands probably suits Flynn's style. Not a criticism of Flynn, this is inevitable. I don't think Flynn has the experience to manage a team to pick up two points a game over a season. I do think it is just possible he has the enthusiasm to motivate a team to pick up twenty points in the final ten games.

From my own experience, not in football but a win/lose situation some of my best performances came when I had nothing to lose in a hopeless case. County are safe, Flynn's job is safe. Both have nothing to lose.
no avatar
User

supporter

Posts

230

Re: 12 months ago

Postby supporter » March 11th, 2018, 5:21 pm

I think it's one game at a time Stan but yep 6 from 9 at this stage is what we'd want to give us a good chance 9 and we're flying going to Chesterfield which will be difficult if as expected they'll be fighting for their life's. Tactically I would say that Flynny and his coaching staff have developed a style that plays to our strengths which has given us this platform to as I say give it a right go and would argue that without the distraction of the cup run we would have 6 more points and therefore be in a playoff spot. I agree yesterday was only one result but it's been coming we got a good draw against Notts County, should've beaten Port Vale and by all accounts should've been out of sight against FGR-if that had happened we'd only be 3 points off a playoff spot so I'd say the momentum has been building. I don't think we at the nothing to lose stage yet because using your analogy we have got a chance to win the "case"- which in this instance is a playoff spot. So what evidence do you have to back this up supporter I hear you say to which I reply- my client has been in this situation before and attained a positive result and I would therefore respectfully request that the case is reviewed in 4-5 games when evidence of nothing to lose will be more conclusive, you honour. Thank you case adjourned.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9730

Re: 12 months ago

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 11th, 2018, 5:43 pm

supporter wrote:I think it's one game at a time Stan but yep 6 from 9 at this stage is what we'd want to give us a good chance 9 and we're flying going to Chesterfield which will be difficult if as expected they'll be fighting for their life's. Tactically I would say that Flynny and his coaching staff have developed a style that plays to our strengths which has given us this platform to as I say give it a right go and would argue that without the distraction of the cup run we would have 6 more points and therefore be in a playoff spot. I agree yesterday was only one result but it's been coming we got a good draw against Notts County, should've beaten Port Vale and by all accounts should've been out of sight against FGR-if that had happened we'd only be 3 points off a playoff spot so I'd say the momentum has been building. I don't think we at the nothing to lose stage yet because using your analogy we have got a chance to win the "case"- which in this instance is a playoff spot. So what evidence do you have to back this up supporter I hear you say to which I reply- my client has been in this situation before and attained a positive result and I would therefore respectfully request that the case is reviewed in 4-5 games when evidence of nothing to lose will be more conclusive, you honour. Thank you case adjourned.


The reason I say we have nothing to lose is that we have to make up six points on Swindon. That is possible. We have to make up six points on Lincoln, which is possible. We have to make six points on Coventry, which is possible. We have to make up four points on Carlisle, again which is possible. But we could make up six points on three of those four but if Carlisle go on the same run as us, we still don't make it. In terms we have to go on a good run and hope that the four clubs above us go on a bad run. It's very unlikely. But it could happen if we approach our final 10 games without fear. If we finish on seventy one points and don't make the play-offs we will all be happy. Coventry, Swindon and to a lesser extent Lincoln won't be happy to miss out on the play-offs.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Posts

5980

Location

Cardiff, UK

Re: 12 months ago

Postby newgroundrodney » March 11th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
supporter wrote:I think it's one game at a time Stan but yep 6 from 9 at this stage is what we'd want to give us a good chance 9 and we're flying going to Chesterfield which will be difficult if as expected they'll be fighting for their life's. Tactically I would say that Flynny and his coaching staff have developed a style that plays to our strengths which has given us this platform to as I say give it a right go and would argue that without the distraction of the cup run we would have 6 more points and therefore be in a playoff spot. I agree yesterday was only one result but it's been coming we got a good draw against Notts County, should've beaten Port Vale and by all accounts should've been out of sight against FGR-if that had happened we'd only be 3 points off a playoff spot so I'd say the momentum has been building. I don't think we at the nothing to lose stage yet because using your analogy we have got a chance to win the "case"- which in this instance is a playoff spot. So what evidence do you have to back this up supporter I hear you say to which I reply- my client has been in this situation before and attained a positive result and I would therefore respectfully request that the case is reviewed in 4-5 games when evidence of nothing to lose will be more conclusive, you honour. Thank you case adjourned.


The reason I say we have nothing to lose is that we have to make up six points on Swindon. That is possible. We have to make up six points on Lincoln, which is possible. We have to make six points on Coventry, which is possible. We have to make up four points on Carlisle, again which is possible. But we could make up six points on three of those four but if Carlisle go on the same run as us, we still don't make it. In terms we have to go on a good run and hope that the four clubs above us go on a bad run. It's very unlikely. But it could happen if we approach our final 10 games without fear. If we finish on seventy one points and don't make the play-offs we will all be happy. Coventry, Swindon and to a lesser extent Lincoln won't be happy to miss out on the play-offs.



..... or we could just improve ourselves by 77% and hope the others continue for the rest of the season the way they have so far... then we'd make the play offs but only just.
no avatar
User

supporter

Posts

230

Re: 12 months ago

Postby supporter » March 11th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Stan your comments have been entered into record but I must inform you that the original adjournment decision on nothing to lose still stands and can only be reviewed in 4-5 games. I would also like to inform you that a guilty plea of recent momentum improvement from Newport County has been accepted.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9730

Re: 12 months ago

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 11th, 2018, 6:10 pm

supporter wrote:Stan your comments have been entered into record but I must inform you that the original adjournment decision on nothing to lose still stands and can only be reviewed in 4-5 games. I would also like to inform you that a guilty plea of recent momentum improvement from Newport County has been accepted.


What have we got to lose?
no avatar
User

supporter

Posts

230

Re: 12 months ago

Postby supporter » March 11th, 2018, 6:32 pm

A proper run to the playoffs, increased revenue from increasing attendance's bloody hell if we win the next two Coventry could be close to a sellout. If we then make the playoffs massive revenue in the home leg of the semi final and if we make the final ching ching, so at present I'd say quite a bit being so close to 7th spot, so many games to play and last season's end of season run. Also the deflation of the fans, poor momentum (please refer to previous Yeovil evidence.), general impact on the squad a winning run will have a positive effect and losing run/nothing to play for end of season will have a negative effect. Pressure will increase on the manager/management team which will probably result in general negativity against the management setup.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9730

Re: 12 months ago

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 11th, 2018, 8:38 pm

supporter wrote:A proper run to the playoffs, increased revenue from increasing attendance's bloody hell if we win the next two Coventry could be close to a sellout. If we then make the playoffs massive revenue in the home leg of the semi final and if we make the final ching ching, so at present I'd say quite a bit being so close to 7th spot, so many games to play and last season's end of season run. Also the deflation of the fans, poor momentum (please refer to previous Yeovil evidence.), general impact on the squad a winning run will have a positive effect and losing run/nothing to play for end of season will have a negative effect. Pressure will increase on the manager/management team which will probably result in general negativity against the management setup.


That is what we have to win. My question is what have we got to lose?

EDIT I'm agreeing with you. If we play without fear, we have nothing to lose and perhaps a lot to gain. When I looked at the League table last night I concluded that my belief that promotion was gone had been premature. I now think it unlikely but not impossible.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on March 11th, 2018, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Harps62

Posts

4326

Re: 12 months ago

Postby Harps62 » March 11th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Well said Supporter.
Hope you are on the mend mate.
3-0 Saturday would be nice even without McBurnie.
no avatar
User

supporter

Posts

230

Re: 12 months ago

Postby supporter » March 11th, 2018, 9:10 pm

I'll tell you what we got to lose Stan. Flynny's a winner, the player's are winners and as a group they have a winning mentality. You lose that and trust me the rest goes complacency sets in and before you know it we're gone. That's what we got to lose Stan.
no avatar
User

supporter

Posts

230

Re: 12 months ago

Postby supporter » March 11th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Yep shoulders on the mend now Harps thanks mate. How good would a Mcburnie 20 minutes be though I'd take win at all costs. Got a good record against them at our place so fingers crossed and I just don't like them as a club ever since they best us at their place with a disputed penalty deep in injury time and that prick Mc glakken or something similar slagged us right off.
no avatar
User

Harps62

Posts

4326

Re: 12 months ago

Postby Harps62 » March 11th, 2018, 9:38 pm

Looking forward to it.
Been a shit couple of weeks for me.
Yesterdays result cheered me up no end.
A hat trick off anybody would be great but a win just as good.
See you there.
no avatar
User

southernfan

Re: 12 months ago

Postby southernfan » March 11th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Have I popped in on "Lawyer's Hour"?
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Corpaboy, daftasfxxx, Exile 1976, rdh2210 and 32 guests

Powered by phpBB ®