Re: Westley sacked Allen appointed.

I was wondering if our visit to Barnet might be the game when their relegation is confirmed. They are certainly clinging tightly to 24th place. But unlike us last year, there has been no upturn in results since they made their managerial change. One thing Westley won't be able to claim is that he didn't have the time to turn things around. Martin Allen would have some justifation in saying that in May. They have only eight games to play. Grimsby may be the team to catch, but Chesterfield have played two fewer than both of them.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Few things in the managerial merry-go-round surprise me, but the last few weeks have been surreal. Presumably Barnet will dump Allen on relegation, as the next task will be different and not his speciality! They won't be needing that big away stand.

Local press speculation on Stevenage here. Grant McCann looks a good bet. http://www.thecomet.net/sport/football/ ... -1-5439890
I would say Martin Allen has been appointed with promotion back to the Football League in mind. He's already done it with Barnet on at least one occasion.

On the managerial theme, Kevin Nolan made a right dick of himself in post-match outburst. I would be asking my player why he stuck his arm out to stop the ball.
Managers seem to have lived such a surreal life, don't they get that not everything can go your way in life for most people, however spoilt a life you've lived?

excessbee wrote:I was wondering if our visit to Barnet might be the game when their relegation is confirmed. They are certainly clinging tightly to 24th place. But unlike us last year, there has been no upturn in results since they made their managerial change. One thing Westley won't be able to claim is that he didn't have the time to turn things around. Martin Allen would have some justifation in saying that in May. They have only eight games to play. Grimsby may be the team to catch, but Chesterfield have played two fewer than both of them.
Funny old thing but in fairness thought the time he had to turn things around was ridiculously short and they have lost by the odd goal and picked up a few draws.
Before anybody has a pop I think the fella is a complete t****r but a stupid timescale given to him.

Harps62 wrote:
excessbee wrote:I was wondering if our visit to Barnet might be the game when their relegation is confirmed. They are certainly clinging tightly to 24th place. But unlike us last year, there has been no upturn in results since they made their managerial change. One thing Westley won't be able to claim is that he didn't have the time to turn things around. Martin Allen would have some justifation in saying that in May. They have only eight games to play. Grimsby may be the team to catch, but Chesterfield have played two fewer than both of them.
Funny old thing but in fairness thought the time he had to turn things around was ridiculously short and they have lost by the odd goal and picked up a few draws.
Before anybody has a pop I think the fella is a complete t****r but a stupid timescale given to him.

He must have pissed off the players and/or the Board somehow i assume for only being given that short amount of time, but he was brought in to make a change, had the transfer window to do so but has taken them from 4 pts from safety to 7pts from safety.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on March 19th, 2018, 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

If you watch his pre match interview before the WW game he says that he was not scared of teams and in the post match interview he said he was genuinely scared of facing Luton - a man of complete contrasts, or he simply knew the game was up at that point and that was clearly transmitted to the players. His demeanour in that interview was reminiscent of his final interviews here.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Harps62 wrote:

He must have pissed off the players and/or the Board somehow i assume for only being given that short amount of time, but he was brought in to make a change, had the transfer window to do so but has taken them from 4 pts from safety to 7pts from safety.
It was a short time frame but he was only picking up (on average) a point a game when they needed more - they have now reached the stage where they need 2 points a game and it's almost too late ...
Sounds familiar ...

rgds Dave

PS Good luck to them - be great if they survive on such paltry support .

Harps62 wrote:Short timescale but I bet you are spot on.
Just annoyed what players were there.
Not really a short timescale. He has been there for eleven matches and they have eight to play. That's 40% of the season, 57 points to play for. He's been unable to increase their points per game ratio, with only two wins. His January recruitment obviously didn't pick up the players that would kick start their season, in that respect his mission has ended in failure.

excessbee wrote:
Harps62 wrote:Short timescale but I bet you are spot on.
Just annoyed what players were there.
Not really a short timescale. He has been there for eleven matches and they have eight to play. That's 40% of the season, 57 points to play for. He's been unable to increase their points per game ratio, with only two wins. His January recruitment obviously didn't pick up the players that would kick start their season, in that respect his mission has ended in failure.
Don't be silly. He has done the groundwork to allow Allen to come in and make a success of it. Not his fault of course if Allen proves incapable of doing so :grin: