Re: Argus: Flynn: Club will do right thing by Labadie ...

We'll pay him til 1 July as legally required, then I expect we'll have him do his recovery with us over the summer, and maybe if he's mobile enough pay him a month for training/recovery with us to the end of the summer transfer window (which is now the first week of August in line with the start of the season).

We'll need to confirm before the summer window closes what we're planning to do in case we're releasing him as in that case he'd want to try and get a deal elsewhere whilst the window is open and his International Transfer Certificate can still be processed.

It is possible he recovers quickly and then we may have to compete for his signature in early August but that seems unlikely.

Re: Labadie

From the Argus again -

NEWPORT County AFC manager Michael Flynn says any new deal for injured captain Joss Labadie would have to be a long-term contract rather than a month-to-month agreement.

The skipper will have surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) on Monday and is likely to be out of action for at least six months.

Labadie, who is out of contract this summer, has been discussing a new deal with the club since late last year but has yet to put pen to paper.

And, despite the injury, Flynn is still keen to secure the 27-year-old’s signature.

“It won’t affect things as far as I know,” said the Exiles boss.

“The board will have to sit down – all 12 of them – and as far as I’m concerned the club will do the right thing by Joss.

“We’re paying him for the next five months anyway so it’s only going to be a two or three-month period where we’re going to have to look after him.”

He added: “I don’t think a month-by-month contract would be of any benefit to the club because – and I’m not saying he would do this – if Joss gets fit, starts playing really well and somebody comes in for him we’re not covered as a football club.

“It’s got to be right for all parties and we’ll speak to Joss and his representative.

“We have been talking about a deal but nothing was ever really turned down, it was just ‘let’s leave it until the end of the season’ so it’s never been about money.

“Every player wants to get as much as they can but it’s more about him enjoying his football here, playing under myself, Wayne [Hatswell] and Lennie [Lawrence], playing alongside the boys we’ve got here and trying to kick on.

“That’s worth more sometimes than an extra £200 or £300 a week, believe me because I’ve done it in my career.”

Flynn insists he has no worries about Labadie’s recovery and he’s hopeful that the former Dagenham & Redbridge man will extend his stay at Rodney Parade.

“I’ve got no worries about Joss at all,” he said. “He’s a very good professional, he works hard, there’s no fat on him, he’s in good condition and I think he’ll come back stronger.”

Will see him in a County shirt again?

“I hope so. It’s a little bit out of my hands at the minute but I’m sure that something will get sorted and I hope it does.”

Shows from yesterday's performance why we need him inspirational character and always up for a fight. Would have made our midfield more resolute and resilient.
Why some think we should not sign him on a 2 year deal baffles me because to buy in a player with his attributes would be more costly.
ALL THE BEST JOSH WITH THE OP TOMORROW.

2 year deal how do you know he will make a full recovery?? As a league 2 side we can't afford to pay someone that might not even play after 12 months , and that deal was there for him to sign but choose not to . One minute we harp on about how we are run on one of the smallest budgets in the league and some want to give 2 year deals out to someone that out for 9 to 12 months and that's if there's no setbacks really .

owlsabout wrote:2 year deal how do you know he will make a full recovery?? As a league 2 side we can't afford to pay someone that might not even play after 12 months , and that deal was there for him to sign but choose not to . One minute we harp on about how we are run on one of the smallest budgets in the league and some want to give 2 year deals out to someone that out for 9 to 12 months and that's if there's no setbacks really .

Also what happens if we offer him a deal on the wages he is on....probably one of the higher earners we have at the club...He doesn't play for a full season and we get relegated to the National League.....We get left with a player on a wage we probably can't afford and one who will want out anyway , as he after D&R got relegated....??

neilcork68 wrote:
owlsabout wrote:2 year deal how do you know he will make a full recovery?? As a league 2 side we can't afford to pay someone that might not even play after 12 months , and that deal was there for him to sign but choose not to . One minute we harp on about how we are run on one of the smallest budgets in the league and some want to give 2 year deals out to someone that out for 9 to 12 months and that's if there's no setbacks really .

Also what happens if we offer him a deal on the wages he is on....probably one of the higher earners we have at the club...He doesn't play for a full season and we get relegated to the National League.....We get left with a player on a wage we probably can't afford and one who will want out anyway , as he after D&R got relegated....??
All this wild speculation is ridiculous.

Why not wait and see the outcome before passing judgement.

neilcork68 wrote:

Put in a clause that ends the contract/reduces the wage if we are relegated.