Argus: Flynn: Club will do right thing by Labadie ...

Flynny has stated (see Argus article below) the club will stand by Labadie for next six months and offer him a new contract , even though he may then refuse it and go elsewhere.
Very laudable but I hope Labadie is equally as honourable and fair when the contract offer is on the table, but being an old cynic I can't see it. I can see both sides of the argument and even think it's kinda the right thing to do, but in honesty, I don't think we should do it, we aren't a rich club, and my offer would of been sign first. But in Flynn we trust eh!

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/ ... s_Labadie/

Re: Argus: Flynn: Club will do right thing by Labadie ...

The NCFC Hippy wrote:Flynny has stated (see Argus article below) the club will stand by Labadie for next six months and offer him a new contract , even though he may then refuse it and go elsewhere.
Very laudable but I hope Labadie is equally as honourable and fair when the contract offer is on the table, but being an old cynic I can't see it. I can see both sides of the argument and even think it's kinda the right thing to do, but in honesty, I don't think we should do it, we aren't a rich club, and my offer would of been sign first. But in Flynn we trust eh!

They have to pay him until July. In effect they have told Labadie, we will pay you up until September (2/3 months wages) and assess the situation then. My view it is the right decision.

As for loyalty forget it. Everything in life is a risk. Joss Labadie could have agreed a contract in January with County. He chose not to. He wanted a better deal, and would take the best one offered. Nine times in ten he wins and gets more money one time in ten he get a bad injury and loses.

Leaving aside the press hyperbole, County are not standing by Joss Labadie. They have calculated that if he doesn't recover it will cost the club two months wages. If he does recover the club will offer him a contract, I doubt there will be too much competition as other clubs won't want to risk their limited resources on a player who may be 'crocked'.

To use the old cliche, big boys games, big boys rules.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:[quote="
They have to pay him until July. In effect they have told Labadie, we will pay you up until September (2/3 months wages) and assess the situation then. My view it is the right decision.

As for loyalty forget it. Everything in life is a risk. Joss Labadie could have agreed a contract in January with County. He chose not to. He wanted a better deal, and would take the best one offered. Nine times in ten he wins and gets more money one time in ten he get a bad injury and loses.

Leaving aside the press hyperbole, County are not standing by Joss Labadie. They have calculated that if he doesn't recover it will cost the club two months wages. If he does recover the club will offer him a contract, I doubt there will be too much competition as other clubs won't want to risk their limited resources on a player who may be 'crocked'.

To use the old cliche, big boys games, big boys rules.[/quote]

Think you've hit the nail on the head there Stan.

County#9 wrote:Just a question but doesnt the pfa pay so much when a player is injured like joss is . Or have I got that wrong ?
I don't know the answer to your specific question. The PFA is the players union and I suspect they at least offer advice.

Speaking as a barrister, in many ways I was in the same position as a professional footballer. I was well paid, not as well paid as some of you think, but on a reasonable wage. A heart attack or badly injured in a road accident and not able to work, is something that many professional people know would cause a massive drop in standard of living.

I suspect the PFA have a scheme. I am aware other schemes are available. You can spend some of your income and take out insurance or if you're feeling lucky take a chance.

I have no idea what Labadie did, he is over 21, it was his choice.

I know I will probably be in a minority of one, but I am not mad on him as a player anyways...
Too often injured, too often missing due to cards, not a good passer, not enough goals, but a good big strong type, which I think are the easiest type of player to replcate, I hope we go more along the sheehan type players going forward, goals goals is what we need. I could be proved wrong but I bet we do very well without him to end of the season.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:I know I will probably be in a minority of one, but I am not mad on him as a player anyways...
Too often injured, too often missing due to cards, not a good passer, not enough goals, but a good big strong type, which I think are the easiest type of player to replcate, I hope we go more along the sheehan type players going forward, goals goals is what we need. I could be proved wrong but I bet we do very well without him to end of the season.
That's interesting. I haven't seen enough of him to make a proper judgement but from I have seen I'd say the following.

I agree with you but for two things both of which in my view are vital for any team. Firstly he scares the sh!t out of opposition players who can be intimidated, and consequently disrupts their play. Secondly he scares the sh!t out of his teammates ensuring that they get stuck in.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:Flynny has stated (see Argus article below) the club will stand by Labadie for next six months and offer him a new contract , even though he may then refuse it and go elsewhere.

Maybe me being dim but I don't see where it says for the next six months. All I see is that he will undergo his rehabilitation with the club and the offer of a new deal is still on the table.

I'll have a look at the interview later when it is uploaded to see what was said.

[quote="The NCFC Hippy"]Flynny has stated (see Argus article below) the club will stand by Labadie for next six months and offer him a new contract , even though he may then refuse it and go elsewhere.

I see your point and agree with it if looked at in isolation, however.....

There is a bigger picture here. All the players will be looking to see how Newport County treats its players, as it could have been them in the same position as Labadie. If the club simply drops them off a cliff it will have a negative impact on the squads belief in Newport County as a club and place to work. Labadie is also an influential and liked member of the squad (making assumption here), he works hard for the whole team on matchdays, so if their colleague is dropped off a cliff then it will have a negative impact on the players relationship with the club. Think about someone getting dropped from where you work because they got injured, but in x months time may be able to return to work.

I guess I trust Flynn in terms of his experience as a player and member of a squad in these situations, his relationship with Labadie and the squad. I also trust that he is only too well aware of his player budget and has weighed the impact of any decision re: Labadie.

The above is only my opinion, it is OK to disagree or have a different opinion.

Dt1892 . Yes your quite right but I'm of the view that there's something within the pfa that helps aswell . Every player should have insurance along with the club itself. Thought I read somewhere that the pfa have some sort of setup for lower league players . Might just be my imagination though .

Anyway all the best joss for the operation and hope your rehab goes well . Utc

DT1892 wrote:
County#9 wrote:Just a question but doesnt the pfa pay so much when a player is injured like joss is . Or have I got that wrong ?
Don't clubs take out insurance to help with wages for injuries such as this?
Seemingly we didn't even take out insurance for one of our few assets at Spytty, on that basis players have no chance. I don't think that Risk Management is high on the agenda.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
DT1892 wrote:
Don't clubs take out insurance to help with wages for injuries such as this?
Seemingly we didn't even take out insurance for one of our few assets at Spytty, on that basis players have no chance. I don't think that Risk Management is high on the agenda.
I'm fairly certain it's a requirement for clubs affiliated with the FA/FAW, or at a certain level on the pyramid at least.