Re: Cov

Be my first time in Wales for years :bounce:
First time we played at yours for nearly 60 years...[/quote]
Blimey, you've even finished in the top 6 since then. ;)[/quote]
Didn't we play a pre-season friendly in the late 90's?
I can remember seeing Dion Dublin in central defence.[/quote]

I think you may be right, though I didn't go and it would have been at Spytty, two other friendlies there in recent years too, 2014 at RP and 2016 at Spytty. First League game since 1961 though - we've ceased to exist, reformed, been promoted six* times and moved grounds five times since then. :D

*Division 4, Hellenic, Southern Lge Midland, Southern League reorganisation into Conference South, Conference South, Conference in case anyone wonders which I'm counting[/quote]

Both our recent pre season fixtures have been at SP. A midweek victory and a weekend defeat, both 2nillers I think?

I remember Marlon Jackson scoring an absolute worldy in the second fixture, only for it to be ruled out .... thinking “wow” this geezer looks decent!! .... how wrong was I ??

If I was an away fan visiting in a relatively small group by train, my pub crawl would probably be as follows;

1) Queens Hotel for breakfast (1 minute walk from the train station, down the road to the right of the Admiral building)
2) The Lamb (30 second walk from the Queens)
3) The Murenger (1 minute walk from the Lamb)
4) Tiny Rebel (20 second walk from the Murenger)
5) The Potters (2/3 minute walk from the Murenger)
6) Drago Lounge (2 minute walk from the Potters)
7) Away end (3-5 minute walk from the Drago, depending on what colour the traffic lights are when you get there)

To be honest, Newport is a pub every 100 yards.

The only way NOT to go is down Commercial Street in the direction of Pillgwenlly. It's fine when you get there, but there's only one dodgy pub on the way (The Talisman) and it's going a long way from the ground. Basically if you come across Barclays Bank, Clinton Cards or The Talisman, turn back in the other direction.

The Mcdonalds restaurant is a good centre point for all of the decent pubs - if you're by there you're not far away from something decent.

rncfc wrote:If I was an away fan visiting in a relatively small group by train, my pub crawl would probably be as follows;

1) Queens Hotel for breakfast (1 minute walk from the train station, down the road to the right of the Admiral building)
7) Away end (3-5 minute walk from the Drago, depending on what colour the traffic lights are when you get there)

The only way NOT to go is down Commercial Street in the direction of Pillgwenlly. It's fine when you get there, but there's only one dodgy pub on the way (The Talisman) and it's going a long way from the ground. Basically if you come across Barclays Bank, Clinton Cards or The Talisman, turn back in the other direction.

The Mcdonalds restaurant is a good centre point for all of the decent pubs - if you're by there you're not far away from something decent.
Thanks for that, you guys have been great. Plenty of options for us.

What’s the policing like down there? Are they low key or in your face?

Cov1 wrote:

Only my opinion. Most of the police in Newport just get on with the job. There are a few pompous ones, a few who really understand football fans and work towards creating a good atmosphere, and a few who basically are yobs in uniform. Pretty much like police everywhere else, :grin:

Cov1 wrote:
rncfc wrote:If I was an away fan visiting in a relatively small group by train, my pub crawl would probably be as follows;

I think they have a good reputation amongst away fans.

Christ !!!! It's a 3pm kick off ain't it ???
That's a hell of a pre-match shift !!! :cheers: :drunken:

Cov1 wrote:

,"In your face". Blimey Cov....what other part of your anatomy would you expect Mr Plod to be in ? :mrgreen:

Harps62 wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:Shame the Brains pub has closed at St Brides. It was the Church House I think.
That's not the Lighthouse though is it.
Not that long ago went for walk with Mrs Harps along the promenade.
Tide was out unfortunately but we got £4 for the 6 Aluminium shopping trollies we found.
Thought the Church House was a restaurant
No the Church House was on the right just after the turn to the sea wall and the Lighthouse. Back in the 70s half the Statistics Office went there Friday lunchtime for a few pints of SA or Dark. Served decent food as well. Has plenty of character.

Cov1 wrote:
geoffc wrote:As a student in the late 1970s at Warwick University I spent a year living just five minutes walk from Highfield Road. Sky Blues chairman Jimmy Hill introduced a cheap tickets scheme for students and the unemployed - 50p to watch a game (but you had to buy tickets for two matches at a time). This scheme enabled me to watch dozens of games at Highfield Road in term time watching the likes of Coop, Sealey, Holton, Wallace, Ferguson, Nardiello, and Gary Thompson. There were decent-sized crowds and plenty of atmosphere; more I think than in the Ricoh based on my visit earlier this season.
After the games we used to walk down to Pool Meadow for pints of Ansells woosh (bitter) in the Elastic Inn. Fun Days Cov1.
I hope you have an enjoyable visit to The Port (except of course for the result).
Elastic Inn - I’m not even sure that is there anymore as I actually live in Leicestershire. Some good players there although I don’t remember as I was only a kid in the 70’s. Crowds in the 70’s were good and the club has averaged anything from 10,000 to 30,000 in the last forty years, our current figure of 9k is Obvs at our lowest point with the anti Sisu sentiment very active still. Away support is very healthy and we have sold out every away Saturday this season bar a few tickets here and there so expect to see a fullish end next week.
I lived in Leicestershire in the 70s and 80s. A place called Earl Shilton.

Blackandamber wrote:
Cov1 wrote:
geoffc wrote:As a student in the late 1970s at Warwick University I spent a year living just five minutes walk from Highfield Road. Sky Blues chairman Jimmy Hill introduced a cheap tickets scheme for students and the unemployed - 50p to watch a game (but you had to buy tickets for two matches at a time). This scheme enabled me to watch dozens of games at Highfield Road in term time watching the likes of Coop, Sealey, Holton, Wallace, Ferguson, Nardiello, and Gary Thompson. There were decent-sized crowds and plenty of atmosphere; more I think than in the Ricoh based on my visit earlier this season.
After the games we used to walk down to Pool Meadow for pints of Ansells woosh (bitter) in the Elastic Inn. Fun Days Cov1.
I hope you have an enjoyable visit to The Port (except of course for the result).
Elastic Inn - I’m not even sure that is there anymore as I actually live in Leicestershire. Some good players there although I don’t remember as I was only a kid in the 70’s. Crowds in the 70’s were good and the club has averaged anything from 10,000 to 30,000 in the last forty years, our current figure of 9k is Obvs at our lowest point with the anti Sisu sentiment very active still. Away support is very healthy and we have sold out every away Saturday this season bar a few tickets here and there so expect to see a fullish end next week.
I lived in Leicestershire in the 70s and 80s. A place called Earl Shilton.
Not far from Stilton mate, live near Lutterworth