Re: Michael Flynn

Well this is only my opinion but with the enforced absence of Labadie, it only took a quick perusal of the ream sheet ( no Pipe or Hayes alongside Amond ) to realise that we were getting nothing out of that game. If I ( and most people I spoke to ) could see it, why couldn’t the management.

lowandhard wrote:Well this is only my opinion but with the enforced absence of Labadie, it only took a quick perusal of the ream sheet ( no Pipe or Hayes alongside Amond ) to realise that we were getting nothing out of that game. If I ( and most people I spoke to ) could see it, why couldn’t the management.
I don't think there are many who are saying it shouldn't be questioned, it's the dramatic exclamation that he should "hang his head in shame" that people take issue with.

I too find it bizarre that Amond and Hayes aren't starting together if both fit. The first half against FGR is the best we've looked going forward for a very long time, and it was because of these two playing in tandem.

To begin, let me be clear that I like Mike Flynn and believe the football club would be in a far worse state without him.

Three things frustrate me however:
1. Why play a back four when we have much more success with 3 CB's and 2 wing backs?
2. Why play people out of position? Ben White is a quality CB. Don't play him RB when we have Pipe on the bench.
3. His favouritism over Robbie really frustrates me.

However these are minor irritations. He has performed miracles for us since taking over and the £750K cup run money is an absolute godsend! I think we need to realise, not many clubs have a successful cup run AND a promotion winning season. It's usually one of the other. I'm sure many on here would have bit your hand off at a mid table finish and a £750K cup run at the start of the season?
Maybe next season with the cup money spent wisely this summer, we will get knocked out of the cup in round one and get promotion.....

My take for what its worth we have had a better season than most expected great Cup run and mid table

I think people forget we are a league two club not world beaters

Yes we have gone a bit stale of late

Corky I like most of your stuff you post but the Hang your head comment is out of order

Just my opinion

We've moaned about Nouble being out wide on the left wing all season. We drop him and what happens ? Collins plays out wide left and Amond is left with no support again. You can't keep on making the same mistakes and expect the result to be any different.

Football mercenary! Flynny started his football league career at Wigan and was part of the squad that got to the Championship, rather than be part of a big squad he moved to Gillingham in league 2 for regular football, was made their captain and helped them to promotion to league ,1 on the back of this he earned a move to Blackpool in the Championship which includeda loan spell at Huddersfield under his former Gillingham manager Stan Ternent-always a good sign when a manager re-signs you, one more move to Bradford where he stayed for a good few years and then back home to us for the 5-6 years. Last season he was business development manager or something similar, coach to Westley-that deserves a medal in itself and first team manager. He's made mistake but that's part and parcel of management and will be all through people's careers. Wycombe are in 3rd if they go up it's a promotion that's been built over 3-4 years, same with Exeter and Burton. We're now a good league 2 team who still have an outside chance of the playoffs who wouldn't have taken that 12 months ago with 8 games to go. Personally I think if we hadn't had the cup run we would be 3-4 points outside the playoffs but not much cash- a recipe for disaster. Gradual improvement now, we've got a solid foundation to build from. Never mind hang his head in shame, Flynny can hold is head up for what he and the players have achieved so far.

supporter wrote:Football mercenary! Flynny started his football league career at Wigan and was part of the squad that got to the Championship, rather than be part of a big squad he moved to Gillingham in league 2 for regular football, was made their captain and helped them to promotion to league ,1 on the back of this he earned a move to Blackpool in the Championship which includeda loan spell at Huddersfield under his former Gillingham manager Stan Ternent-always a good sign when a manager re-signs you, one more move to Bradford where he stayed for a good few years and then back home to us for the 5-6 years. Last season he was business development manager or something similar, coach to Westley-that deserves a medal in itself and first team manager. He's made mistake but that's part and parcel of management and will be all through people's careers. Wycombe are in 3rd if they go up it's a promotion that's been built over 3-4 years, same with Exeter and Burton. We're now a good league 2 team who still have an outside chance of the playoffs who wouldn't have taken that 12 months ago with 8 games to go. Personally I think if we hadn't had the cup run we would be 3-4 points outside the playoffs but not much cash- a recipe for disaster. Gradual improvement now, we've got a solid foundation to build from. Never mind hang his head in shame, Flynny can hold is head up for what he and the players have achieved so far.
Absolutely spot on !!!

Newportonian wrote:
supporter wrote:Football mercenary! Flynny started his football league career at Wigan and was part of the squad that got to the Championship, rather than be part of a big squad he moved to Gillingham in league 2 for regular football, was made their captain and helped them to promotion to league ,1 on the back of this he earned a move to Blackpool in the Championship which includeda loan spell at Huddersfield under his former Gillingham manager Stan Ternent-always a good sign when a manager re-signs you, one more move to Bradford where he stayed for a good few years and then back home to us for the 5-6 years. Last season he was business development manager or something similar, coach to Westley-that deserves a medal in itself and first team manager. He's made mistake but that's part and parcel of management and will be all through people's careers. Wycombe are in 3rd if they go up it's a promotion that's been built over 3-4 years, same with Exeter and Burton. We're now a good league 2 team who still have an outside chance of the playoffs who wouldn't have taken that 12 months ago with 8 games to go. Personally I think if we hadn't had the cup run we would be 3-4 points outside the playoffs but not much cash- a recipe for disaster. Gradual improvement now, we've got a solid foundation to build from. Never mind hang his head in shame, Flynny can hold is head up for what he and the players have achieved so far.

Absolutely spot on !!!
The problem is with expectation. If we finish this season on 64 pts, that's 16 pts more than last season. If next season we finish 8 points higher on 72 pts, that's steady progression. Keep going like that and eventually we'll go up automatically. If we start going backwards, THEN is the time to worry, but people want it all now.......... I've said it before, and I truly believe it'll take 15 years to fully re-establish this football club as a League team, so far it's 5 down, 10 to go!
Flynny will have his place in history as having played his part.....and a pretty bloody good part too!

Mike did what every other player does,earn as much as you can in a short career,so the mercenary statement is miles off,so is the hang your head in shame statement,don't particularly know mike but we do have differences of opinion on some matters,as a bloke I know he's a good lad I know his mates he knows mine,we have spoken and hopefully we can have a chat and pint in future,I've no cross to bear with him but I don't rate gavin,just an opinion and meeting needed asap to ask gavin relevant questions.

I can't believe how many 'our midfield are shite', 'he picked the wrong team' , 'as soon as I saw the teamsheet i knew we'd lose' type posts I'm seeing. He picked the same team that outplayed top of the table Luton just one week earlier... Bad day at the office no doubt but come on...

Ado wrote:One win in the league at home since early January. That run of form somewhat contradicts a "bad days at the office".

One home defeat since 2017 somewhat suggests it was a bad day at the office.
You do understand that we are a mid table League 2 side that in the two seasons previous to this one, have finished one place above the relegation zone?? It's progress muc.