Re: GRANDSTAND: Exiles v Coventry

We were poor first half but at least put the effort in. Second half we controlled the game and but for one worldy save from Covs keeper and a goal line clearance, we'd have got the 3pts.
Willmott (although i thought he was out of order telling fans on the Hazell to f**k off after some moaned at him for a poor cross a couple of minutes before he was subbed) was excellent, Butler motm.
White's worst game in a County shirt by a country mile, but all in all a very good performance against a very good Coventry team
Last edited by Exile 1976 on March 31st, 2018, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Percy plunkett wrote:White was poor today,should have been booked early on,mistake for their goal and another which resulted in OB having to take the guy out.OB got away with one earlier so could have been early bath for him.

Does it go down as an assist from Nouble for their goal ????....Best header he has won all season,,,if only it had gone in the right direction.. :wink: :lol:
I believe for the lads sake White could do with a game or two out of the firing line to refresh his batteries as he hasn't lived up to his usual high standards recently..I would like to see him given a rest on Monday and play Tozer at the back and bring in Bennett

Just watched the highlights back. The camera angle of the Coventry keeper save probably doesn't do it justice, it was incredible. Nouble's poor header in the wrong direction put Ben White under pressure for their goal, a slip but just one of those things. I feel we probably would've seen the game out without that happening. Agree it was Ben White's worst game in a County shirt but he's saved us countless times this season, he's allowed an off day.

RE: Willmott - I really don't see why everyone slates him. We certainly have worse players that get away with little criticism, if at all. He was probably the second best player for me after Butler. Amond played well also and was incredibly unlucky not to score.

Overall we've got a good squad here. Next season could be interesting with a few decent signings over the summer...

Against a form side going for automatic promotion and with the tightest defence County shaded the game to win. Much improved performance and showed us fans they are not on the beach. If they played like that last week I feel we would have regained 3pts.
Defence were watertight thought like others that Pipe and Butler were immense these two players Butler in particularly has raised his game this season to a different level. I thought Demetriou was outstanding, O.Brien did the dirty things well .White does not always like doing the basics and can showboat a bit this is the innocence of youth will learn from his mistakes and become a better player from it. Although costly mistake.
Our midfield did everything their ability allowed. Dolan and Tozer worked their socks off but get exposed by pace which Coventry had in abundance their ginger left wing back Haynes looked a class act. Willmot had a good all round game good to see him getting stuck in and playing a better defensive role.
Amond what can you say would be a good advert for "Duracell" kept going all game crying out for a target man to play alongside him.
IT was a 7 out of 10 team performance against a very organised Coventry team who imho will either win the play offs or go up automatically.

neilcork68 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:White was poor today,should have been booked early on,mistake for their goal and another which resulted in OB having to take the guy out.OB got away with one earlier so could have been early bath for him.

Does it go down as an assist from Nouble for their goal ????....Best header he has won all season,,,if only it had gone in the right direction.. :wink: :lol:
I believe for the lads sake White could do with a game or two out of the firing line to refresh his batteries as he hasn't lived up to his usual high standards recently..I would like to see him given a rest on Monday and play Tozer at the back and bring in Bennett
Please Neil, put Tozer on the bench. Apart from his long throw which is very predictable, he was very poor. Too slow and can only pass to someone in a different colour shirt to him. Like you I'm not a big fan of Robbie but he did have a decent game yesterday.

Just registered, first post.

I'm a reasonably new County supporter, watched half a dozen home games this season, same last year. I coach one of the NCAFC junior teams. I'm also a qualified local league referee so often watch the officials' performance as much as the players. My 'main team' play in Lge 1 and generally I prefer Div 1/2/non league to any Premiershi* teams because of the fanbase, rapport and all-round honesty. So, that's me.

Went Friday and was impressed by a good performance. Pre-match entertainment and that 'made to feel welcome' ethos was good. Great to see loads of kids about, they're the future on and off the pitch.

So, my feedback on the team's performance can be taken or left, you guys have been following the County longer than I so probably know better.

Keeper Joe - didn't have an awful lot to do but stayed alert to preventing his defence scoring an OG.

Butler and Pipe - both immense and 110% committed. Pipe would have got my MOTM award if only his crossing was better - seemed to knock it in the box without looking but he was colossal and a real leader. I've watched him at FGR and Eastleigh and he has always worn his heart on his sleeve. Micky also deserves a mention, should be playing at a higher level.

Midfield - this is where I feel MF can improve for next season. Wilmott did really well, covered a lot of ground, put the tackles in and tried to get forward against strong Coventry full backs. But as a unit the midfield were overrun which shouldn't happen if you're playing a 532. Can't knock any of them individually but Coventry were better and bypassed the midfield too often. I don't get the Love him/hate him issue with Wilmott - he's a Lge 2 utility man who played 2 levels lower last season. Some fans on here (one in particular) need to be mindful of that I feel.It's all about opinions I suppose - I referee local parks games as I'm not good enough to officiate at a higher level, in my 'day job' I do OK but won't be company director as I'm not good enough. Think sometimes we need to be realistic - can County really attract/afford a better midfield and, if so, who?

Up front, Hayes did well holding up play first half and I felt he had a goal in him. Nouble wirked hard when he came on - retained rhe ball too long and can't cross but I think he's a good/experienced CF.

Amond I like, always followed his progress. Worked his socks off for the team but is never going to be a 15+ goals a season man without getting a partnership going up front with 1 other.

Effort and commitment 100% yesterday. Good to see the forwards deliberately standing beyond the last man when the opposition take a GK. Long throws from Tozer - can be a useful tool if chasing the game a goal down but I think County need to mix it up with a few quicker, sharper throw-ins as they were a bit laboured and achieved little TBH.

Will see you Saturday - wave at me as I parade the County kids round the pitch before the game.

Best wishes all

Dee

Welcome Dee to The Board agree with your views and great to have another referee to give their opinions about referee performances and key decisions made.
Spot on about our midfield been a weak link for numerous seasons never can get the mix of player right who compliment each other at the moment lack pace and power.
Tozer's long throws are backfiring we have no great offensive aerial headers of the ball and so many times lose the ball in an aerial battle and counter attacking sides are being fed by his throw ins must be more varied.
This can apply to Day's distribution when hoofed up field the ball is feeding the oppositions centre backs who apply more pressure to our midfield. He must throw the ball out wide to our wing backs which will provide more attacking opportunities.