3 centre halfs or a sweeper?

Maybe it's just me but O'Brien seems to be playing as a sweeper. He only ever marks a man at set plays and under the sweeper role looks to drop off to cover any mistakes etc, then hoof the ball as far as possible. This is why we always seem to get overrun in midfield and always look a man down as he doesn't mark anyone. Thoughts ??

Re: 3 centre halfs or a sweeper?

SULLY34 wrote:Maybe it's just me but O'Brien seems to be playing as a sweeper. He only ever marks a man at set plays and under the sweeper role looks to drop off to cover any mistakes etc, then hoof the ball as far as possible. This is why we always seem to get overrun in midfield and always look a man down as he doesn't mark anyone. Thoughts ??
Seems to be playing the central CB role between White and Dem as usual to me. Got nothing to do with OB that we get caught out in midfield. That's Labadie's role and we have no one to replace him unfortunately. Having said that Bennett deserves a game or two sitting deep in midfield instead of Tozer.
Don't have a problem with OB's distribution and clearances into the stand - he's in the team to stop the oppo scoring. Much rather to put the ball safe into touch and then regroup. OB was lucky to stay on the field yesterday but he does like to get stuck in and I for one want that in a CB.
Success in L2 football is often about cutting out your mistakes as Cov's goal yesterday proved.

faerun exile wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:Maybe it's just me but O'Brien seems to be playing as a sweeper. He only ever marks a man at set plays and under the sweeper role looks to drop off to cover any mistakes etc, then hoof the ball as far as possible. This is why we always seem to get overrun in midfield and always look a man down as he doesn't mark anyone. Thoughts ??
Seems to be playing the central CB role between White and Dem as usual to me. Got nothing to do with OB that we get caught out in midfield. That's Labadie's role and we have no one to replace him unfortunately. Having said that Bennett deserves a game or two sitting deep in midfield instead of Tozer.
Don't have a problem with OB's distribution and clearances into the stand - he's in the team to stop the oppo scoring. Much rather to put the ball safe into touch and then regroup. OB was lucky to stay on the field yesterday but he does like to get stuck in and I for one want that in a CB.
Success in L2 football is often about cutting out your mistakes as Cov's goal yesterday proved.
I'm sure the role of the central CB would be to mark someone, he definitely wasn't. So many occasions White could have moved into space on the right flank to receive the ball from Day etc, but he had to stay central to mark a striker so O'Brien could stay free. Not saying it's OBs fault but the system definitely leaves us overrun in midfield.

First of all hi there, this is my 1st post on here so please be gentle with your replies to me ok.
I think with OB playing as deep as he has been recently we do invite more pressure on our selfs, but a good CH knows when to drop deep and when to push up with his fullbacks,
still think OB is a good lg 2 player.

Sommidda wrote:First of all hi there, this is my 1st post on here so please be gentle with your replies to me ok.
I think with OB playing as deep as he has been recently we do invite more pressure on our selfs, but a good CH knows when to drop deep and when to push up with his fullbacks,
still think OB is a good lg 2 player.
Firstly.....welcome :) OB is definitely a good LG2 player and like you say, playing deep invited pressure.