Re: Match off

Watched weather news, checked phone etc before left home.
Arrived 12.41 at Chesterfield platform 1.Having read match off just as leaving Derby.
Walked to platform 2. Got 13.01 back to London St. Pancras then on back to Ramsgate.
Happy days !!!

ngschester wrote:Watched weather news, checked phone etc before left home.
Arrived 12.41 at Chesterfield platform 1.Having read match off just as leaving Derby.
Walked to platform 2. Got 13.01 back to London St. Pancras then on back to Ramsgate.
Happy days !!!
Got to St Pancras around 10am on a travel-card as didn't want to commit to paying the full fare just in case. Early Chesterfield twitter indicated snow so hung around St P for further news. Bought tickets on the basis of 'game will go ahead unless weather conditions significantly worsened' Chesterfield tweet. 20 mins after boarding the train at 11:58 am the Chesterfield tweet came up with pitch inspection/game off tweet which somewhat contradicted the 'game on' tweet one hour earlier ..
Anyway - diverted to Burton game which was OK. C'est la vie ..

rgds Dave

newgroundrodney wrote:Just this second logged on to send my best wishes from Loftus Road ( we got Norwich ) and I find County's game is off...
Hope people haven't been inconvenienced too much....
What time was it called off?
Officially, on Chesterfield's twitter, it was 1207. I know this because I arrived in Chesterfield at 1203. To say I am a tad narked to discover (today) that people knew 40 minutes before that, all of half an hour after Chesterfield said it would be on, is an understatement.

Not that we could have done anything about it anyway, being on the train. After the concert we were supposed to go to got postponed as well, I ended up having to buy additional tickets, write some off, then buy more to get home earlier because there wasn't 3 hours at a football ground in the middle.

Got to be honest, I have no idea why it wasn't on. Surprised how much snow there was in the town itself but it was rapidly disappearing even by noon, the snow on the pitch wasn't that bad from the photos I've seen either. If the grass in the rest of Chesterfield was anything to go by the pitch would be soft but not dangerous, and it was drizzling all day which got rid of most of the snow by 4pm when we left anyway.