Re: Transfer targets

owlsabout wrote:Imo think we need central defender / right /wing back / 2 midfielders / 2 strikers perhaps awide man
So, seven players needed then? That'll be interesting. In all my years watching County, we've never recruited anywhere near that number.

Edit: Other than the reformation of Newport AFC.

excessbee wrote:
owlsabout wrote:Imo think we need central defender / right /wing back / 2 midfielders / 2 strikers perhaps awide man
So, seven players needed then? That'll be interesting. In all my years watching County, we've never recruited anywhere near that number.

Really? 2015/16 Butcher brought in a minimum 11 players. As did Feeney the following season.

Exile 1976 wrote:
excessbee wrote:

Really? 2015/16 Butcher brought in a minimum 11 players. As did Feeney the following season.
In very recent past seasons, at this stage, we had only about 8 players on the books. We're much more prepared now, even if it means another mid -table finish.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
excessbee wrote:

In very recent past seasons, at this stage, we had only about 8 players on the books. We're much more prepared now, even if it means another mid -table finish.

I'm aware of that, but he said in all his years of watching us "we've never recruited anywhere near that number" but we had, twice in the last 4 years.

I'm wrong on that one. However, Butcher was a different scenario as so many of the previous squad had departed. We certainly won't be bringing in seven who would get a starting place. Previous experience says that two or three 'first teamers' and a chance on a couple of inexperienced loanees would be par for the course. TOE and Reynolds would also come into consideration.

Edit: Butcher plugged the gaps (numerically) by putting four(?) academy lads into the starting eleven, Collins, Owen-Evans, Parcelle and Poole.
Last edited by excessbee on May 25th, 2018, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Owlsabout don't forget another keeper and it could quite possibly be 2 keepers if Day gets sold .

Depending on the main man Frank resigning I think we need another centre half . Right back, 2 centre mid . Like to see a wide left man if wilmott plays wide right where I think he gives us more going forward . Then 2 strikers. Tall ask I know . So 8 in my opinion .

Permanent signings we need at least 4 with others being loans As I see a couple of ours being loaned out to gain experience .

Utc .

County ranger wrote:
somerton moss wrote:
somerton moss wrote:Bruno Andrade of Boreham Wood a midfielder with skill and has scored 18 goals this season only 24 a Portuguese talent must bring in this type of quality.
Midfield / Striker not many out there.
Luke Coulson of Ebbsfleet is a winger who can score and assist has provided many goals for prolific Danny Kedwell a potential striker ? Do not judge a striker by his age ask Akinfenwa and Ellison !
Andrade scores again tonight and our own Turley for Boreham Wood against Fylde AFC in play offs.
We need to aim higher Christian Jolly skilful goal scoring talent in National League scoring a top class goal to earn promotion for his team - utter crap at L2 level.

Lincoln seem to think Conference players are a good investment and quality just signed Bruno Andrade their managers know how to succeed using gems from the League below. Ryan Broom has been swept off his feet by Cheltenham.

I don't think Christian Jolly became a crap player in L2. I think what happened was that he had a complete crisis of confidence for some reason. You don't lose talent or skills but once the confidence has gone, sometimes it is very difficult to get it back. I would have loved to see him continue with us. Sadly it wasn't to be.

excessbee wrote:I'm wrong on that one. However, Butcher was a different scenario as so many of the previous squad had departed. We certainly won't be bringing in seven who would get a starting place. Previous experience says that two or three 'first teamers' and a chance on a couple of inexperienced loanees would be par for the course. TOE and Reynolds would also come into consideration.

Edit: Butcher plugged the gaps (numerically) by putting four(?) academy lads into the starting eleven, Collins, Owen-Evans, Parcelle and Poole.
When you put it like that we probably have a fair bit to thank Butcher for; 2 of them sold for big fees and 1 on the cusp of the first team. No manager in the last 10 years before or since has really given youth any sort of chance - makes you wonder where our priorities should be.

We played some really attractive football in some of those games with Butcher in charge. However, there was only ever going to be one outcome, as you can't succeed in League Two with young prospects getting turned over week after week. It was too much for them to cope with. Collins and Poole were introduced into the side before Butcher arrived. What was needed then was experience alongside them, not another two young lads in the starting eleven.

Any loans we bring in are going to have to be considered for starting 11 or at least regular match squad members,gap fillers who are going to prevent the academy boys deemed good enough from gaining experience are no good to us going forward.we have had a few good ones last cpl of seasons, white, healey,mcburnie and mclousky but we’ve had a few who never got on the pitch.hopefully clubs higher up the pyramid will look at us now as a good place to allow their youngsters to gain experience and develop for a season.brighton and spurs will certainly view us in a different way after this season

pembsexile wrote:I don't think Christian Jolly became a crap player in L2. I think what happened was that he had a complete crisis of confidence for some reason. You don't lose talent or skills but once the confidence has gone, sometimes it is very difficult to get it back. I would have loved to see him continue with us. Sadly it wasn't to be.
I disagree Jolly was not good enough at L2 level both us and Wimbledon found that. I accept he may have lost confidence at County but he has done nothing since his NL days for us were the peak is his ability / career.