Re: Agents Fees

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Amberexile wrote:It's a maybe.

We paid £19k to agents.

In that period the only transfer recorded including an agent was Amond, but it is possible that money was due to be paid to an agent during that period for transfers that happened in earlier periods. An example of this would be if we received money from a sell on clause and a portion of it was due to be paid to the agent.
That is interesting because Lee Evans was sold to Sheffield United from Wolverhampton Wanderers in January 2018 for approximately £750k. It was reported at the time that Newport County would receive 15% of that fee as a sell on clause. Oddly enough, a quick google search will show that Lee Evans is represented by Paul Nicholls at the Elite Management Agency, as is Conor Washington. It is therefore quite plausible that we negotiated staggered payments for both Washington and Evans , but I do not know if true. The irony is if, and I stress the word if, a large percentage of that £19,058 was paid to Paul Nicholls for the Washington & Evans deals, the current board are now being lambasted for the shrewdness of the previous directors who negotiated significant sell on clauses with EMA.
So the agent gets paid by us when we sold evans then paid by Sheffield United and us again when we got paid the sell on fee? Do we pay him when we get money for him appearing for Wales? when does it stop?

If all the 19k wasn't due to the Armond deal there are plenty of other ways we used this agency. Flynny's contract extension for a start, The Collins loan and god knows how much we paid them for Lamar Reynolds. Lets not forget the club and agency were making out this was a massive signing and we had beaten plenty of clubs for his signature.

Bush wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
Amberexile wrote:It's a maybe.

We paid £19k to agents.

In that period the only transfer recorded including an agent was Amond, but it is possible that money was due to be paid to an agent during that period for transfers that happened in earlier periods. An example of this would be if we received money from a sell on clause and a portion of it was due to be paid to the agent.
That is interesting because Lee Evans was sold to Sheffield United from Wolverhampton Wanderers in January 2018 for approximately £750k. It was reported at the time that Newport County would receive 15% of that fee as a sell on clause. Oddly enough, a quick google search will show that Lee Evans is represented by Paul Nicholls at the Elite Management Agency, as is Conor Washington. It is therefore quite plausible that we negotiated staggered payments for both Washington and Evans , but I do not know if true. The irony is if, and I stress the word if, a large percentage of that £19,058 was paid to Paul Nicholls for the Washington & Evans deals, the current board are now being lambasted for the shrewdness of the previous directors who negotiated significant sell on clauses with EMA.
So the agent gets paid by us when we sold evans then paid by Sheffield United and us again when we got paid the sell on fee? Do we pay him when we get money for him appearing for Wales? when does it stop?

If all the 19k wasn't due to the Armond deal there are plenty of other ways we used this agency. Flynny's contract extension for a start, The Collins loan and god knows how much we paid them for Lamar Reynolds. Lets not forget the club and agency were making out this was a massive signing and we had beaten plenty of clubs for his signature.
In answer to your question, I have no idea of the complexities of the deal, it was Amberexile that highlighted the point, not me. All I have done is point out that both Lee Evans & Conor Washington had a sell on clause and both are affiliated to EMA. The club making manageable staggered payments to an agent for previous transfers is no more absurd than someone thinking we paid an agent nearly £20k for just one League 2 player.

If you research the same intermediary list for January 31st 2017 you will see that we were equally prudent with our agents fees, again in 6th place with a total outlay of just £10,684. According to the list, It seems we used agents to sign Jaimie Turley, Tom Meechan, Sean RIgg, Dan Butler, Mark Randall, Jazzi Barnham. Bobb, Jon Parkin, Joss Labadie, Scott Bennet and Ben Tozer. Of those 10 players, surprisingly only ONE player, Jaime Turley utilised the services of Paul Nicholls at EMA. Incidentally, the team with the lowest amount paid to agents was Hartlepool United with £0, whilst Chesterfield, Barnet, Forest Green & Grimsby have spent over £220k between them this season. It seems there are no guarantees when it comes to the world of football agents.

My personal view is that us primarily using an agent who has helped us generate nearly £1m in transfer revenue does not concern me. When I factor in that we are 13th in the league table and still 6th in the agents fees table in terms of prudence, it concerns me even less. However, you have as much right to worry about what you seemingly perceive as a conflict of interest and scrutinise decisions the directors and/or Mike Flynn make as I have to put up a rational more balanced view not driven by such cynicism. If it is such a burning issue for you to know why we are predominantly using EMA, just write to the club, or ask at next months open meeting.

Why don’t you think we paid 19k to the agent for armond when it’s theres in evidence? As Hartlepool have said we have paid 40k for him then the agent fee will be high. If it’s not all for this transfer then why are we hiding this? If the club didn’t pay 19k to the agent for armond then they would have come out publically. They haven’t therefore what’s the issue?

Bush wrote:Why don’t you think we paid 19k to the agent for armond when it’s theres in evidence? As Hartlepool have said we have paid 40k for him then the agent fee will be high. If it’s not all for this transfer then why are we hiding this? If the club didn’t pay 19k to the agent for armond then they would have come out publically. They haven’t therefore what’s the issue?
Like I say, I do not know the complexities I am only pointing out the players that had sell on clauses to Amberexile, This is what the FA website says on the transaction period.

PLEASE NOTE: Payments included in these figures may have been made in respect of transactions entered into prior to 1 February 2017. The total payment figure per club will, therefore, not necessarily relate directly to those transactions listed involving a Registered Intermediary which were entered into between 1 February 2017 to 31 January 2018.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Bush wrote:Why don’t you think we paid 19k to the agent for armond when it’s theres in evidence? As Hartlepool have said we have paid 40k for him then the agent fee will be high. If it’s not all for this transfer then why are we hiding this? If the club didn’t pay 19k to the agent for armond then they would have come out publically. They haven’t therefore what’s the issue?
Like I say, I do not know the complexities I am only pointing out the players that had sell on clauses to Amberexile, This is what the FA website says on the transaction period.

PLEASE NOTE: Payments included in these figures may have been made in respect of transactions entered into prior to 1 February 2017. The total payment figure per club will, therefore, not necessarily relate directly to those transactions listed involving a Registered Intermediary which were entered into between 1 February 2017 to 31 January 2018.
But why would we pay an agent double? That doesn’t make sense.

Bush wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:

But why would we pay an agent double? That doesn’t make sense.
Are we paying him double though?
Owls-about has stated that Foulston, Tom Owen Evans , Reynolds, Reid and Nouble are on EMA's books, perhaps the payments are linked to their deals? Nouble is listed with VIP sports management though.

Personally I would like to have seen Reid, Owen Evans and Lamar given a few games without any pressure as our team looks tired. I am sure if Flynn could call them back he would.

Considering how many players we've turned over in the past couple of seasons I'd say only £19k in agent fees was a triumph.

Re: additional payments to agents for Lee Evans, it's not an issue at all. The agent fee will almost certainly coincide with and be triggered by additional payments due to the club, so there's not even a cashflow problem, the agent fee comes from the additional windfall. As for "where does it end?", if it's only happening due to us getting more money, I hope it goes on for a long time!

SJG99 wrote:Considering how many players we've turned over in the past couple of seasons I'd say only £19k in agent fees was a triumph.

Re: additional payments to agents for Lee Evans, it's not an issue at all. The agent fee will almost certainly coincide with and be triggered by additional payments due to the club, so there's not even a cashflow problem, the agent fee comes from the additional windfall. As for "where does it end?", if it's only happening due to us getting more money, I hope it goes on for a long time!
In no place does it mention anywhere officially that the money was for anything other than the Amond transfer. I don't get why people are so defensive about that. We wanted a top striker and we invested.

Bush wrote:
SJG99 wrote:Considering how many players we've turned over in the past couple of seasons I'd say only £19k in agent fees was a triumph.

In no place does it mention anywhere officially that the money was for anything other than the Amond transfer. I don't get why people are so defensive about that. We wanted a top striker and we invested.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. When there is a shroud of secrecy everything has to be defended. The truth is that 90% of what happens at our club is uncontroversial and even the remainder most reasonable people would agree that there are always tough decisions and none of us ever agree entirely with everything.

My problem is with the secrecy, not necessarily with the decisions. Those who have a knee-jerk reaction to defend the club often do so without thinking what is actually being said. This thread being a case in point.

Bush wrote:

What it does say is this.

Amond was indeed our only transfer but I read that as the £19k probably includes continued payment for Washington & Evans, plus payment for representing Tom Owen Evans and Foulston. Either way, I do not see anything that stinks or is sinister.