Re: Striker shortage

SULLY34 wrote:Well it won't be Touray according to Flynny, not fit enough. Though he does prefer to play 2 up front, well he needs to let Frank know:)
My understanding is that Touray and Foulston were taken out of Byron's academy side and became young pro lads training with the first team.If this correct,then how is he still not fit enough to play? If he had been training with the academy then I could understand his lack of fitness.

Percy plunkett wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:Well it won't be Touray according to Flynny, not fit enough. Though he does prefer to play 2 up front, well he needs to let Frank know:)
My understanding is that Touray and Foulston were taken out of Byron's academy side and became young pro lads training with the first team.If this correct,then how is he still not fit enough to play? If he had been training with the academy then I could understand his lack of fitness.
It's what Flynny has said in the Argus today.

Fit and Lge2 match fit are two different things, rightly or wrongly Flynny will be watching him in every training session, the side is desperate for goals, so if we had a hidden gem & he was ready, I’m sure he’d throw him in.

At the risk of repeating myself, I spoke to a group of Merthyr fans who said he wasn’t ready (too lightweight) for their level, so experienced Lge2 defenders would, imo cope easily with him.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:Fit and Lge2 match fit are two different things, rightly or wrongly Flynny will be watching him in every training session, the side is desperate for goals, so if we had a hidden gem & he was ready, I’m sure he’d throw him in.

At the risk of repeating myself, I spoke to a group of Merthyr fans who said he wasn’t ready (too lightweight) for their level, so experienced Lge2 defenders would, imo cope easily with him.
Talking of lightweight I'm shocked at how lightweight Sheehan is and how easy he is knocked off the ball. Can't remember that from his first spell.

SULLY34 wrote:
Justanordinaryfan wrote:Fit and Lge2 match fit are two different things, rightly or wrongly Flynny will be watching him in every training session, the side is desperate for goals, so if we had a hidden gem & he was ready, I’m sure he’d throw him in.

Talking of lightweight I'm shocked at how lightweight Sheehan is and how easy he is knocked off the ball. Can't remember that from his first spell.
As someone who's had a knee ligament injury (and two knee surgeries related to it), one of the problems you have is that unless you rebuild the muscle around the injury very well, you don't have the ligament/tendon strength that gives you the ability to make minor adjustments in your balance that you used to - so whilst it looks like he's being easily shoved off the ball, what's probably happening is that he's not able to adjust his balance as well as he could and resist the force from the opponent as effectively. It's incredible the number of tiny adjustments your body makes when you're fully fit that you don't appreciate until you can't do them.

I found that certain angles and turning motions became much less stable after injury and it would definitely play into how well you can push back or stay up in the physical battle that is League Two midfield. Still, he's got access to the resources to rebuild his muscles to reduce the impact of the ligament injury. Getting older and less flexible is similarly restricting...

Seems very peculiar to me that Flynn was in the Argus on Friday slagging off Toure's fitness and saying he's not ready for a start, and then the very next day we announce he's been given a pro contract!

If he's good enough for a pro contract, he's got to be good enough to be given a start when we're out of the playoff hunt and safe from relegation. If we won't start him in these most benign of circumstances, when would we give him a run-out? Bizarre man-management.

His current fitness levels dictate he’s not ready for a start now. He’s obviously a talent, Wales youth etc etc. We’ve prob given him a deal to protect ourselves short term, after all he’s been on trials with other clubs?

Hopefully a sensible summer, a good pre season, further traing with pros will make a msssive difference??

I think Flynny is looking after the clubs best interests, whilst trying to gee the kid up.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:His current fitness levels dictate he’s not ready for a start now. He’s obviously a talent, Wales youth etc etc. We’ve prob given him a deal to protect ourselves short term, after all he’s been on trials with other clubs?

Hopefully a sensible summer, a good pre season, further traing with pros will make a msssive difference??

I think Flynny is looking after the clubs best interests, whilst trying to gee the kid up.
Oh, I get the rationale for keeping him on - but not the rationale for effectively saying he won't get a look-in this season. We play Barnet on Saturday, the worst side in the whole ruddy league. We're going to finish mid-table whatever happens. Why not give him a start and a taste of men's football? What's the worst that can happen? Better to give him a chance to prove himself now than to wait until next season when we might be under greater pressure.

Flynn has been talking about the need for more goals from his strikers. If we've got a talented youngster on our books, we should evaluate him properly whilst we've got the chance. Who knows, it might then have a bearing on the sort of striker(s) we set out to sign in the summer.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Seems very peculiar to me that Flynn was in the Argus on Friday slagging off Toure's fitness and saying he's not ready for a start, and then the very next day we announce he's been given a pro contract!

If he's good enough for a pro contract, he's got to be good enough to be given a start when we're out of the playoff hunt and safe from relegation. If we won't start him in these most benign of circumstances, when would we give him a run-out? Bizarre man-management.

I think it would be more bizarre man management to give up on the play offs whilst still having a mathematical chance of getting there.

Play the kid every game left of the season. Don't buy this protect them nonsense. The kids are only gonna improve by playing with the first team. not having ten minutes here and there with back ups in the cups. Imagine he scored a few goals. could end up with us having an extra few 100k's in the summer. Id play Foulston ahead of White as well. need to know whether he could potentially be our replacement for white next season. White's job has been done and he is my player of the season but we are only helping out brighton now by continuing to play him ahead of possible future Newport county CB's. Tourey alongside Amond and Foulston alongside Mickey D for the rest of the season could be a huge boost for the club next season. I also think fans get a lift watching actually academy players in the first team for the club.

Percy plunkett wrote:I wouldn't start with Touray,but there is no reason why he can't have 10 minutes just to give him experience.If he was a 15 year old schoolboy then yes protect him but he is 18 going on 19 so hardly a kid.You only learn by doing it.
nothing to lose and everything to gain by playing him. He will learn more from making mistakes in league two football than he ever will from the astro turf over spytty on a Saturday morning.

Bush wrote:Id play Foulston ahead of White as well. need to know whether he could potentially be our replacement for white next season. White's job has been done and he is my player of the season but we are only helping out brighton now by continuing to play him ahead of possible future Newport county CB's.
My thoughts exactly. No-one's expecting these two lads to play themselves into contention for Flynn's starting XI for next season - but we do need to know whether they'd be capable of starting as cover in case of injury / suspension. Far better to know the answer to that now than to have the issue forced upon us by circumstance mid-season.