Re: Bangor City

G Guest wrote:I've not seen any suggestion that Bangor want to play in England.They want to be reinstated in the WPL so far as I am aware.
Last year clubs got six figures for European qualification. There's more money in the WPL than the Southern League. They'd be mad to switch.

excessbee wrote:But if they rely on European qualification money to finance their season, next year will be tricky if they have budgeted for money that will not be forthcoming.
Still up to them to budget properly, they don't have to rely on the UEFA money if they've got themselves in financial order. It's just an added incentive that non-league football doesn't offer.

DT1892 wrote:
excessbee wrote:But if they rely on European qualification money to finance their season, next year will be tricky if they have budgeted for money that will not be forthcoming.
Still up to them to budget properly, they don't have to rely on the UEFA money if they've got themselves in financial order. It's just an added incentive that non-league football doesn't offer.
In non-league though, if you can make it to the league, you get close on a £M in various payments, just for BEING there.....surely that's gotta be the better long term goal, along with higher gates, more merch sales etc...
What sort of gate they'd get in the League, for a home Bank Holiday clash with Tranmere or Wrexham is anyone's guess.

If they wanted to, Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Town could switch to the Welsh pyramid. After a season or two in the lower leagues they could be promoted to the WPL and have a go at the European riches. But they don't. It seems some value English football more highly than a July jaunt to Malta even if they have no chance of making it to the football league.

G Guest wrote:If they wanted to, Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Town could switch to the Welsh pyramid. After a season or two in the lower leagues they could be promoted to the WPL and have a go at the European riches. But they don't. It seems some value English football more highly than a July jaunt to Malta even if they have no chance of making it to the football league.
I'd go even lower than that. If say, Caldicot Town were in the English Pyramid, a fixture of Caldicot Town v Devizes, or Keynsham, would be infinitely more attractive to me than a game against the likes of Penrhiwceiber, or Hirwaun Welfare

newgroundrodney wrote:
G Guest wrote:If they wanted to, Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Town could switch to the Welsh pyramid. After a season or two in the lower leagues they could be promoted to the WPL and have a go at the European riches. But they don't. It seems some value English football more highly than a July jaunt to Malta even if they have no chance of making it to the football league.
I'd go even lower than that. If say, Caldicot Town were in the English Pyramid, a fixture of Caldicot Town v Devizes, or Keynsham, would be infinitely more attractive to me than a game against the likes of Penrhiwceiber, or Hirwaun Welfare

What's wrong with Hirwaun Welfare? :lol:

Fair point about Merthyr/Colwyn Bay. Although, whenever there are rumours of financial difficulties - the conversation of Welsh football comes up again. Admittedly, I'm biased. Whenever County are away I'm usually at some Welsh League fixture. I'd rather we kept our clubs in Wales rather than England (the historical clubs aside). Bangor made their choice.
newgroundrodney wrote:
That's you though. I've no desire to see Caldicot play Devizes. But I have seen them play Barry and Port Talbot and thoroughly enjoyed the game.