Phase 1 complete

We now can't finish lower than 13th and could finish as high as 9th, now by anyone's standard's that's an unbelievable turnaround from last season. Chuck the fa cup run on top and what Flynny, his management/backroom staff and this team have achieved is immense. The icing on the cake would be the points record, win Tuesday and we're going to Carlisle to play for 9th spot. While we're on the subject of records as Flynnys been compared to Edinburgh for the points total, its worth pointing out he's the record holder for the fa cup since we got back in the league. 3 wins in the last 4 which shows the only thing Flynny has got in common with Feeney (not so long ago he was being compared directly to him) is that their surnames both begin with F. Great platform to build from well done Flynny. Andrew Perry.

Re: Phase 1 complete

His record is all the more impressive when you think that the planning would've probably started 48 hours after Notts County. If we'd started like Crawley then everyone would be happy because they've improved over the second half of the season, so we'd all be looking forward to next season because we'd be saying the players have bought into the managers thinking. I recently spoke to an old pro boxer from the 60's who knows Flynny well about the Spurs games. He said mentally it would've had a massive impact, he was talking as a professional sportsman. If memory serves me right didn't we go top boxing day under JE by beating Wycombe 2-0 and then went on to get 3 more points than this team with no fa cup games. It's been said we're only up for the big games which is great news because when next season starts every game is a big game if you're aiming to be near the top.

Think the last few games has clouded what has gone on lately the poor form over many weeks. Things have turned around as players have decided to play for new contracts let's hope the manager remembers which players disappeared over the two months

Does that mean you really want nouble next season funny he scores in the last two home games as I say the results have clouded people's judgement. We have hardly done well since Morcambe defeat don't forget the points accrude since then and wha ts doubly annoying is 3 more points and we beat our total for the league. Like the season the old county chucked away promotion with the defeat to Portsmouth we chucked away the playoffs

jonpaske wrote:Does that mean you really want nouble next season funny he scores in the last two home games as I say the results have clouded people's judgement. We have hardly done well since Morcambe defeat don't forget the points accrude since then and wha ts doubly annoying is 3 more points and we beat our total for the league. Like the season the old county chucked away promotion with the defeat to Portsmouth we chucked away the playoffs
We've only lost 3 games in the last 12. We've collected a fraction over 50% of the available points since Flynn took over. If we beat Chesterfield, it'll be 3 wins on the bounce for the second time this season.
We didn't throw away the Play-Offs, any notion of us reaching the Play-Offs was not based on enough matches to properly form that opinion, but enough people saw us "in a Play-Off place" and got over excited, not realising a season is 46 matches long. It's where you are at the end that matters. In actuality, we were NEVER real Play-Off contenders.
Expectation at this club is WAY TOO HIGH, then when it fails to come to fruition people get narked...... realism, steady progress & stability is what this club needs.
We need to finish 4 points higher next season. Do that every year and eventually we'll go up as champions.
The time to get excited about play-offs is in April, not October.

newgroundrodney wrote:
jonpaske wrote:Does that mean you really want nouble next season funny he scores in the last two home games as I say the results have clouded people's judgement. We have hardly done well since Morcambe defeat don't forget the points accrude since then and wha ts doubly annoying is 3 more points and we beat our total for the league. Like the season the old county chucked away promotion with the defeat to Portsmouth we chucked away the playoffs
We've only lost 3 games in the last 12. We've collected a fraction over 50% of the available points since Flynn took over. If we beat Chesterfield, it'll be 3 wins on the bounce for the second time this season.
We didn't throw away the Play-Offs, any notion of us reaching the Play-Offs was not based on enough matches to properly form that opinion, but enough people saw us "in a Play-Off place" and got over excited, not realising a season is 46 matches long. It's where you are at the end that matters. In actuality, we were NEVER real Play-Off contenders.
Expectation at this club is WAY TOO HIGH, then when it fails to come to fruition people get narked...... realism, steady progress & stability is what this club needs.
We need to finish 4 points higher next season. Do that every year and eventually we'll go up as champions.
The time to get excited about play-offs is in April, not October.

Good post

Well said Mr Perry, and also well done for keeping the faith when many others were losing their heads.
As you state, from the starting point of the end of last season, to potentially beat our record points hall since getting back in the league AND to of gone so far in the cup is a great season when looked at from afar.
If i'm honest I do worry Flynny is weary of 'flair' players but I am happy to be proved wrong in the summer.
A very good season when all is taken into account. hopefully to be improved in the next one.

I would say that "phase 1" would be keeping a Manager for a couple of years to provide the club with some stability, in which case "phase 1" has yet to be fulfilled.

But I would agree it has been a good season however you wish to measure it. I still think County could have reached the play-offs if there hadn't been a fall-off in results post-New Year. Hopefully MF will have learned something from the experience and will be a better Manager for it.