Re: Mickey Demetriou

George Street-Bridge wrote:
neilcork68 wrote: he was staggering around and didn't know where he was for a few minutes..
He had a couple of bad knocks but this description is hysterical nonsense.
I was in line with his final knockdown. When he stood up he staggered sideways and clearly wasn't right. I watched him for several minutes, rather than following the game, because I was concerned about him. He spent a lot of that time holding his head, shaking it to try to clear it and looking down to the ground. Couldn't believe that a trainer wasn't called on, at the very least by his teammates. Definitely not hysterical nonsense. He's a brave player - maybe needs protection from himself!

George Street-Bridge wrote:
neilcork68 wrote: he was staggering around and didn't know where he was for a few minutes..
He had a couple of bad knocks but this description is hysterical nonsense.

Not hysterical nonsense at all. Anyone with half a brain and eyes could see he was staggering around not knowing where he was for a few minutes shaking his head to try and clear it...
I find you reply nonsense...
It should have been the manager or the refs call to bring him to the side of the pitch to get him checked out by a Doctor after THREE bangs to the head in the game ....
Remember George North.....he wanted to play on after his head knock a few years ago....he was then forced to miss almost a quarter of the season because it was found he had 'Concussion' that was only discovered after scans. Players will always think they will be ok in the heat of battle

George Street-Bridge wrote:Disagree, your description doesn't match Neil's. "Didn't know where he was for a few minutes" is hysterical nonsense.
let me punch or elbow you in the head three times in an hour and lets see if you know where you are if you are as I believe suffering from a slight concussion that Demetriou looked as though he was.
I know there a long list of people before me but I can wait :wink: :lol:

neilcork68 wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Disagree, your description doesn't match Neil's. "Didn't know where he was for a few minutes" is hysterical nonsense.
let me punch or elbow you in the head three times in an hour and lets see if you know where you are if you are as I believe suffering from a slight concussion that Demetriou looked as though he was.
I know there a long list of people before me but I can wait :wink: :lol:
Ernie Shaaf fought Max Baer in 1932 and was knocked senseless. Shaaf was a tough guy and six months later fought Primo Carnera. In the 13th round Shaaf fell down. The crowd yelled fix as he didn't seem to have been punched. People with ringside seats screamed 'get up you bum'. At that time professional boxing was controlled by the mob and it was clear that Shaaf had taken a dive.

Ernie Shaaf didn't get up because he was dying. Taken in a coma to hospital he died four days later. Many professional sportsmen are too brave for their own good, anyone who uses a term like 'hysterical nonsense'when it comes to head injuries really doesn't have a clue.

Thank the lord I didn't have to take the wife to Dr George Street Bridge or Dr Daftasfxxx after she had a heart attack recently....They would have sent her home with a packet of 'Rennie' ( other brands are available) and said it was heartburn as they are medical experts :roll: :roll:
IMO Demetriou was staggering around after his third blow to the head and should have been taken to the side by the ref or the manager ( although its not Flynn's fault because he can do no wrong according to some on here) and checked out by a medical professional as it looked like he had a problem that IMO was a concussion. The decision should have been taken out of the players hands. Yes IMO he was staggering around for a good two minutes looking like he didn't know where he was whilst Cambridge made a substitution and the Cambridge player was getting ready to take the corner for them...
The third head blow happened was before MF had made his final substitution as well to inform the poster who asked if we had made all our substitutions.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Any L2 strikers worth their salt would run rings round a defender who genuinely didn't know where he was for a stretch of several minutes.
You really don't know what you are talking about. Any player who is even suspected of the mildest concussion should be taken off immediately. Try listening to Geoff Astle's widow if you won't listen to me.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Any L2 strikers worth their salt would run rings round a defender who genuinely didn't know where he was for a stretch of several minutes.

Did you watch the game? MD was definitely groggy for a minute or two. He stumbled and he was also holding his head. Either the ref or Flynny should have got him looked at, simple as that.

Let's get real on this one. Most of the disagreements on this board don't really matter. Whether Joe Day is a good or average keeper, whether Flynn lacks tactical ability, whether we develop a stadium, doesn't really matter. Nobody dies.

Head injuries cause premature death. They cause dementia. They cause stokes. I don't care if it would have had a detrimental effect on the County result if Micky had been taken off. And you know what, I wouldn't care if taking him off had cost us promotion or our League status. Football is a pastime, a hobby, an interest. Football is not important enough to risk the health of young men. And anybody who doesn't get that really needs to look at their priorities.

George Street-Bridge wrote:So, if Demetriou did play on to the detriment of his longer-term health because he is too brave for his own good, who are you accusing of professional negligence in not subbing him?
Firstly it is the responsibility of the referee. He is aided by two assistant referees, and a fourth official. It is difficult to believe that all four failed to pick up that there was a serious head injury. Clearly a single individual can miss this, as you did, but it beggars belief all four did. If Michael Flynn saw that there was an injury to Demetriou's head then he would be in part responsible, as indeed would any member of the coaching squad who were aware.

Now you are better educated, who do you accuse of professional negligence?

daftasfxxx wrote:Soon see whether Doctor Corks diagnosis of "obvious mild concussion" is right if he fails to play this week

You are missing the point.

THe FA protocol for head injuries is that a player suffering from concussion should be removed from the field of play and should not play for six days. However as Micky was not removed he is not seen by the club as suffering from concussion. Just wondering why when Corkie and others make a serious comment you seem to just try being sarcastic?

Those of us who remember the 60's and 70's remember the damage done to long term health by cortisone injections. Head injuries are of even greater concern.