Re: Grandstand: Exiles @ Chesterfield

somerton moss wrote:When you lose to a side who have nothing to play for except pride and who have only won 1 match in two months sums up our season inconsistent and need to change this mind set against beatable sides.
On the other hand we were chasing our highest points tally and position defies logic and shows Flynny needs to sign players who are consistently good and perform against every side they play.
Next Carlisle who we cannot finish above and with Curle's last game in charge you can only see one winner they will have us by our short and curlies if tonight's performance is to go by. :oops:
He’s got too drop Willmott for once and play Jahraldo Martin to try him out for 90 mins

JamieDf wrote:
somerton moss wrote:When you lose to a side who have nothing to play for except pride and who have only won 1 match in two months sums up our season inconsistent and need to change this mind set against beatable sides.
On the other hand we were chasing our highest points tally and position defies logic and shows Flynny needs to sign players who are consistently good and perform against every side they play.
Next Carlisle who we cannot finish above and with Curle's last game in charge you can only see one winner they will have us by our short and curlies if tonight's performance is to go by. :oops:
He’s got too drop Willmott for once and play Jahraldo Martin to try him out for 90 mins
I think MF mind is made up on Iahraldo and he won't be here next season

Exile 1976 wrote:Typical end of season, nothing to play for game.
Whenever we beat Accrington and Cambridge you really enjoyed the games and said post Stanley "not bad for a team on the beach." When we lose it's typical end of season. Not sure you can have it both ways.

My own view is that our season was over in February. Whilst I don't much care about losing to Chesterfield, and to me it is irrelevant whether we finish 9th or 13th, although I wouldn't want Pembs to miss out on his dinner, I do feel that perhaps Michael Flynn has missed a trick. Looking forward to next season I would have thanked the players that won't be here in August and tried out some of the younger squad players who will. Last night was a competitive friendly and a chance for the younger players and the coaching staff to learn.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Typical end of season, nothing to play for game.
Whenever we beat Accrington and Cambridge you really enjoyed the games and said post Stanley "not bad for a team on the beach." When we lose it's typical end of season. Not sure you can have it both ways.

My own view is that our season was over in February. Whilst I don't much care about losing to Chesterfield, and to me it is irrelevant whether we finish 9th or 13th, although I wouldn't want Pembs to miss out on his dinner, I do feel that perhaps Michael Flynn has missed a trick. Looking forward to next season I would have thanked the players that won't be here in August and tried out some of the younger squad players who will. Last night was a competitive friendly and a chance for the younger players and the coaching staff to learn.

Of course I can have it both ways! I enjoyed the games against Stanley & Cambridge, wasn't expecting to but I did, even though we had nothing to play for the performances were very good. Last night it wasn't a good performance from either side in a nothing game, Simple as that Brendan.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: My own view is that our season was over in February. Whilst I don't much care about losing to Chesterfield, and to me it is irrelevant whether we finish 9th or 13th, although I wouldn't want Pembs to miss out on his dinner, I do feel that perhaps Michael Flynn has missed a trick. Looking forward to next season I would have thanked the players that won't be here in August and tried out some of the younger squad players who will. Last night was a competitive friendly and a chance for the younger players and the coaching staff to learn.
Agree with this. I know people say that we should want to win every game, and indeed I've said that we should seek to finish the season on a high, in order to prevent a hangover into next season. But we'd have all been 100% behind Flynn if he'd come out a month ago and said "We know that X, Y and Z won't be here next season, so I thank them for their efforts and they are now effectively released from their contracts. Instead, we'll be giving a chance to younger and fringe players who can play themselves into my plans for next season and show me what I've got to work with."

Next game should be a team of players all here next season;

Day
Foulston o’brien demetriou
Pipe willmott Bennett Dolan butler
Amond touray

And fill the bench with all academy boys. Let’s give some youth an experience of a professional match day. Will benefit Newport county more than playing players not here next season.

Yep, glad to be proved wrong on that one - thoroughly deserves player of the season, he's improved massively from the season before. (Although I'd have been quite happy for Demetriou to have won it as well).

As you've clearly never made a mistake before, please enlighten us all with your thoughts about Dolan.

Bush wrote:Next game should be a team of players all here next season;

Day
Foulston o’brien demetriou
Pipe willmott Bennett Dolan butler
Amond touray

And fill the bench with all academy boys. Let’s give some youth an experience of a professional match day. Will benefit Newport county more than playing players not here next season.
Managers think different to fans.MF wants 66 points,if he gets them then he will be quick to tell us.I have got us the most points since our formation.Self profile comes first.

Dolan has been very poor recently. Last night he was a major contributor to Chesterfield's defensive efforts, continually turning his back and laying the ball sideways or back to a defender. As the game went on, Nouble and Amond were coming back to halfway just to get the ball at their feet. The combination of Dolan, Collins and Willmott was so easily snuffed out,and Sheehan faded too. Without Labadie and, last night, Tozer, to graft alongside him, and have the mindset to take the ball towards the opponents' goal, I'm beginning to wonder just what Dolan is actually able to bring to the team.

[quote="somerton moss"]When you lose to a side who have nothing to play for except pride and who have only won 1 match in two months sums up our season inconsistent and need to change this mind set against beatable sides.
It's worth noting that Chesterfield have beaten Luton, Swindon & Notts County at home since the turn of the year. They only lost by the odd goal at home to most other top half teams aswell.