Re: Memories of Cardiff v Newport 1982/3

I think we're around the same age G&W as I've seen you post that your first game was Southampton FA Cup 3rd Round, January 1968. I was at that game too but my first was the first game of the 1967/68 season against Rochdale.

I've always believed that Nigel got both but I may be wrong as we were under bombardment from a volley of coins from the enclosure beneath the Grandstand when the second was scored. This increased in intensity when the equaliser went in!

With regard to the return match, I have a print of the famous painting from the Railway End that depicts that day and the caption credits John Aldridge with the winner.

Melling's equaliser wrote:I think we're around the same age G&W as I've seen you post that your
first game was Southampton FA Cup 3rd Round, January 1968. I was at that game too but my first was the first game of the 1967/68 season against Rochdale.

I've always believed that Nigel got both but I may be wrong as we were under bombardment from a volley of coins from the enclosure beneath the Grandstand when the second was scored. This increased in intensity when the equaliser went in!

With regard to the return match, I have a print of the famous painting from the Railway End that depicts that day and the caption credits John Aldridge with the winner.
Ha yes made quite a bit in small change from that game against Cardiff as for my age next season will be my last season ticket at full price unless they put the age limit back up to 65.

I was too young for the match at Ninian (9 at the time), but the only thing I can remember about the Easter match is my aunty banging on the back of the grandstand complaining about a goal being allowed, then disallowed - I'd always thought it was a goal we had given, but I guess it might have been them having one disallowed...

Goddard & woods wrote:
Melling's equaliser wrote:I think we're around the same age G&W as I've seen you post that your
first game was Southampton FA Cup 3rd Round, January 1968. I was at that game too but my first was the first game of the 1967/68 season against Rochdale.

Ha yes made quite a bit in small change from that game against Cardiff as for my age next season will be my last season ticket at full price unless they put the age limit back up to 65.
We're the same age then, I'm 60 next February. Your memory is better than mine though, Neil Bailey did indeed get our first goal.

And John Aldridge did score the only goal in the return match.