Memories of Cardiff v Newport 1982/3

I was there, and I remember it being a beautiful, crisp, sunny day, and we began the game playing very attacking football, which left us exposed at the back, and I think we opened the scoring, before of course losing 3-2, but what I am struggling to remember are the details of our disallowed goal.

A County player broke down the Cardiff left, reached the byline and pulled the ball back across goal for another player to fire home, only for Clive Thomas to rule it out for offside (linesman hadn't flagged).

Can anyone with a better memory than me fill in the gaps? Who were the county players involved in the move?

Re: Memories of Cardiff v Newport 1982/3

Boxing Day 1982 with trains and buses running, had a lift down in the morning and came back on a train around 10:30 PM.

I can't remember the players involved in the disallowed goal but I was sat in the stand level with play and it was never offside. It would have put us 1-0 up.

As it was we went 2-0 down before Nigel Vaughan scored 2 crackers from 25 yards or so for 2-2 late in the 2nd half. Then they scored the winner. :cry:

I think Hemmerman got a couple for them.

Melling's equaliser wrote:Boxing Day 1982 with trains and buses running, had a lift down in the morning and came back on a train around 10:30 PM.

I can't remember the players involved in the disallowed goal but I was sat in the stand level with play and it was never offside. It would have put us 1-0 up.

As it was we went 2-0 down before Nigel Vaughan scored 2 crackers from 25 yards or so for 2-2 late in the 2nd half. Then they scored the winner. :cry:

He's a Physio in Town theses days Jeff

Melling's equaliser wrote:Boxing Day 1982 with trains and buses running, had a lift down in the morning and came back on a train around 10:30 PM.

Cheers. Yes, I had forgotten that. Maybe I was thinking of Reading away around the same time.

Versus Cardiff, you are right. We looked down and out, fought back to equalise with 2 minutes left but Hemmerman scored straight after (a spawny sort of lob over Kendall)

Bob Hatton got one of the City goals.

Barnabas wrote:Much prefer to remember the return fixture on Easter Monday, when Clive Thomas wasn't the referee, and we won 1-0 with the lot from down the road having two goals disallowed :lol:
Me too. I was there, we went top that day with 6 games left. Terry Boyle, ex City scored the winner. What a team, probably our best ever. Happy days.

pembsexile wrote:
Barnabas wrote:Much prefer to remember the return fixture on Easter Monday, when Clive Thomas wasn't the referee, and we won 1-0 with the lot from down the road having two goals disallowed :lol:
Me too. I was there, we went top that day with 6 games left. Terry Boyle, ex City scored the winner. What a team, probably our best ever. Happy days.
Boyle played for us first mate he didn't join us till 83

UPTHEPORT wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Boyle played for us first mate he didn't join us till 83
I stand corrected Jim. Age and time play havoc with my memories. I had him down as one of the City players surplus to their requirements along with Brian Harris and Graham Coldrick (slightly different years). Cracking player Terry.

Edit. Sh**. I mentioned Brian Harris. Stan will be along in a minute :wink:

pembsexile wrote:
I think it was John Aldridge, wasn't it?

My memory is not what it used to be but sure it was Neil Bailey who scored one and Vaughn the other.