Re: Sir Alex Ferguson

I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread is, other than to offer sympathy to someone none of us have ever met and know nothing about other than his public persona.

Am I sorry to hear that a 76 year old man has suffered a brain injury? Well there are thousands of people that suffer this type of insult every day and their outcomes depend on severity of the insult and how quickly it is discovered and treated. The good news for Sir Alex is that as someone with money he'll have been able to access the facilities needed for a quick diagnosis and be treated by the best Neurosurgeon that his money can buy. He's likely to have a better outcome than a 76 year old who finally presents at the local A+E having already spent time awaiting a call-back from the on-call doctor service or for an emergency ambulance to become available.

The treatment that Sir Alex receives shouldn't just be available to anyone with money. The NHS should be able to offer a similar service to all who like Sir Alex have a brain haemorrhage - a fast-track service to those where minutes can be vital. Perhaps rather than sympathy it would be more constructive to write to your MP asking why a moneyed person will receive quicker service than the general public or to offer a donation to a charity pressing for such change or supporting those who have had a brain haemorrhage and survived but require help in their recovery.

wattsville_boy wrote:I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread is, other than to offer sympathy to someone none of us have ever met and know nothing about other than his public persona.

Am I sorry to hear that a 76 year old man has suffered a brain injury? Well there are thousands of people that suffer this type of insult every day and their outcomes depend on severity of the insult and how quickly it is discovered and treated. The good news for Sir Alex is that as someone with money he'll have been able to access the facilities needed for a quick diagnosis and be treated by the best Neurosurgeon that his money can buy. He's likely to have a better outcome than a 76 year old who finally presents at the local A+E having already spent time awaiting a call-back from the on-call doctor service or for an emergency ambulance to become available.

The treatment that Sir Alex receives shouldn't just be available to anyone with money. The NHS should be able to offer a similar service to all who like Sir Alex have a brain haemorrhage - a fast-track service to those where minutes can be vital. Perhaps rather than sympathy it would be more constructive to write to your MP asking why a moneyed person will receive quicker service than the general public or to offer a donation to a charity pressing for such change or supporting those who have had a brain haemorrhage and survived but require help in their recovery.
I agree.

I would not have written your post knowing that others would have used mock outrage at my lack of sensitivity. However whilst I wish him the best that is no more than I would wish anyone else in his situation. Also agree entirely that the treatment he receives is that which everyone is entitled to in a civilized society.

wattsville_boy wrote:I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread is, other than to offer sympathy to someone none of us have ever met and know nothing about other than his public persona.

I agree 100 hundred per cent.