Re: Supporters' Meeting - 23 May

excessbee wrote:So, Jolly, you're open to the views of one poster because he's an ex player but not another because you suspect he's employed by the club. Shouldn't it be the content of the message not who the poster is, that is more important?
^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

Get rid of childish antics, whilst posting under different login names?

George Street-Bridge wrote:If Owlsabout is the ex-player people say he is, he is one of the first names on my team sheet for a best ever XI in the Newport AFC era. Maybe even the first.

But the idea that this adds value to his views about running a League 2 club as a business with a turnover in the millions a quarter of a century later is ludicrously inward- and backward-looking.
^^^^^^^AND THIS^^^^^^^^

George Street-Bridge wrote:If Owlsabout is the ex-player people say he is, he is one of the first names on my team sheet for a best ever XI in the Newport AFC era. Maybe even the first.

But the idea that this adds value to his views about running a League 2 club as a business with a turnover in the millions a quarter of a century later is ludicrously inward- and backward-looking.

I agree. Used to absolutely love watching Pricey play, but most of his posts just read like a bitter ex employee. I'm not saying that he is, and it may be that i just read them that way, and it's solely to do with his love for the club.

His views are at least as valuable as anyone else's. Further he has an insight that you and I can never have. To use a phrase like 'inward and backward looking' speaks volumes.

I am not adverse to his suggestion of investors, I would just like him to highlight who and why. In fact, you could argue our current situation (league position aside) is not dissimilar to that of 2003 when Chairman (Wallace Brown) and the board were heavily criticised for club finances despite having seemingly lucrative cup runs. Admittedly the support or social media was not quite as intense as it is today, but they were still criticised.

I may be wrong on this but from what I recall a strategic management team compromising of local investors and businessmen took charge of the club to manage the debt and were heralded as the solution. However, just four years on from this the Supporters trust was relaunched to ironically help them out as they were struggling to progress the club as they envisaged. The initial success of the trust revival meant that numbers and donations grew quickly enabling the then board to implement changes off the field, whilst having the safety net of the trust donations. This model of ownership seems the one that many want, a strong trust complimenting a strong board of investors. However, there is no guarantee this would work, my recollection is that within a matter a months of our promotion we soon reverted back to the petty squabbles and resignations that are symptomatic of our club. This left us in the relegation zone and threatened with a swift return to the conference south.

The Scadding era yielded yet more resignations and meant both businessmen and the trust understandably took their eye off the ball but the the Trust were once again revived after Les Scadding cut the purse strings. So here we again, a cup run seemingly not yielding the profit some expected and a minority calling for investors as the solution, despite the evidence proving otherwise.

My view is that In the last twenty years we have had over 25 directors all experiencing the same challenges, all bemoaning lack of funds and unless we all work together and cease the cyclical abuse, squabbling and incessant petty criticism we will head back to the conference no matter what the ownership model is.
Last edited by Alan G Bryant on May 14th, 2018, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My original point was that his views should not be any more valid than another's merely because he is an ex player. The club from that era has evolved into something very different. That's my interpretation of the comment above, which quite rightly is full of praise for the player in question.

Edit: My reference is of course not to the post above, but to the previous one (as quoted in the reply above).
Last edited by excessbee on May 14th, 2018, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

excessbee wrote:My original point was that his views should not be any more valid than another's merely because he is an ex player. The club from that era has evolved into something very different. That's my interpretation of the comment above, which quite rightly is full of praise for the player in question.
I agree inasmuch as of course one can disagree with any poster. Although I do think that anyone who has played with the club or indeed professional footballer will have an insight that I don't have.

Seeing the level of abuse fired at Mark I take the view that those who do so are very misguided. It is often levelled at some of us that we are negative. However do those who take a different view not pause to ask a very simple question.

If with all the windfalls we are merely plugging gaps, does that not suggest that those who have been pessimistic have perhaps also been right?

Jimmy I must admit your very misguided,do you sleep in your junior school shorts?mark price has forgotten more than you know about ncfc,Alan g brycun# aka gavin is holding on by his finger tips,great that he will be stepping aside once our new backers come on board.I'm sure gavin will be fine as a board member but chairmanship is not his fortay.
Evan morgan (tredegar house)

theale wrote:Jimmy I must admit your very misguided,do you sleep in your junior school shorts?mark price has forgotten more than you know about ncfc,Alan g brycun# aka gavin is holding on by his finger tips,great that he will be stepping aside once our new backers come on board.I'm sure gavin will be fine as a board member but chairmanship is not his fortay.
If there are plans in place that fundamentally change what we have now then I hope there will be a well layed out plan to present to the Trust membership with financial guarantees AND the opportunity to vote accept/reject. I did not give the existing Boatd carte blanche to do as they please- if I did give them that right then I very much regret doing so. (All I can do I guess is vote with my feet if I don't like it - different if we have a vote, as I will go with the decision).

theale wrote:Jimmy I must admit your very misguided,do you sleep in your junior school shorts?mark price has forgotten more than you know about ncfc,Alan g brycun# aka gavin is holding on by his finger tips,great that he will be stepping aside once our new backers come on board.I'm sure gavin will be fine as a board member but chairmanship is not his fortay.

Can't wait for these new investors of yours to pitch up - although I would have thought that someone as forthright as you would actually share some names?

Jimmy Exile wrote:Also stan seems to think we should hold the views of players in higher regard because of their insight.

does this extend to Robbie Wilmott calling Corky out in Twatter? trust you were happy with that stan? with Robbie being a player and all that?

I dont give a seconds thoughts to him '' calling me out '' , just because he cant handle a bit of criticism about his form. Why would I want to watch him train , he is bad enough to watch on match days :lol: and unlike him I have a job that I have to work 40 hours a week .What I do take offence too is that it seems as though MF has done nothing about him telling fans , ( who paid their hard earned to watch the team play) to 'F OFF' during the same game that I questioned his ability....Not once but twice he is reported to have done it.
Are the club happy with a player doing that to fans ? IMO , by doing nothing ( or nothing has been reported about him apologising ) , its seems the manager is ok with it...