Re: The 18/19 squad...so far

Bush wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Why are there question marks against another keeper? You can put it against Lamar who will probably be sold or loaned out.Come the end of August,Foulston and Touray will be loaned out to leave room for two more loan signings.
Really hope foulston and touray kept. Would rather see them part of the squad than the manager wasting money on squad fillers to replace them. Mickey D, o’brien, franks and Bennett seems to me to be perfect players for foulston to be around and learning.
I agree,but I still think they will be loaned out National South level.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:who would posters suggest would cover for Butler if injured
Will probably end up being a player who spends pre season with us and is cheap but won’t see any action because he isn’t good enough. Personally with butler only signing a one year deal I would be keeping my eye out for someone better than him. If one doesn’t become available by the start of the season I would wait till January. Don’t waste money on a back up we need to sign butlers replacement ASAP.

I've deleted Josh Labadie from my squad list now, unless informed otherwise I assume he's gone. He'd need to be physically present somewhere with the intention of signing by now I'd imagine.
Can I ask a question: did he at any time actually tell us "I WONT BE SIGNING"?...... pretty poor show if he didn't. Just leave it expire and say nothing is a bit much if that's what's happened?... I say IF.

From the Argus yesterday -

"Exiles boss Michael Flynn was hoping to agree a new deal with injured skipper Joss Labadie by the end of this week but talks are still ongoing between the pair.

Labadie’s contract expires tomorrow. He is currently recovering from an anterior cruciate ligament injury that is expected to keep him out until at least October and possibly until the end of the year."

Amberexile wrote:From the Argus yesterday -

"Exiles boss Michael Flynn was hoping to agree a new deal with injured skipper Joss Labadie by the end of this week but talks are still ongoing between the pair.

Labadie’s contract expires tomorrow. He is currently recovering from an anterior cruciate ligament injury that is expected to keep him out until at least October and possibly until the end of the year."
If he stays I'll be happy, but for now, I'm assuming he's gone.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Amberexile wrote:From the Argus yesterday -

If he stays I'll be happy, but for now, I'm assuming he's gone.

I agree, they've been talking since Feb ffs. If they haven't agreed a deal by now I can't see why we'll suddenly get it done unless Labs or the Board suddenly decide to give some ground

Joe DAY (GK)
David PIPE
Dan BUTLER
Mark O'BRIEN
Andrew CROFTS
Mickey DEMETRIOU
Robbie WILLMOTT
Matt DOLAN
Padraig AMOND
Josh SHEEHAN
Scott BENNETT
Lamar REYNOLDS
Fraser FRANKS
Jamille MATT
Keanu MARSH-BROWN
Tyler FORBES
*** vacancy ***
*** 2nd Choice Goalkeeper *** ?
Mamadou TOURAY
Jay FOULSTON
Charlie COOPER (season long)
Loan No.2 – as required
Loan No.3 – as required
Loan No.4 – as required
Loan No.5 – as required

newgroundrodney wrote:Joe DAY (GK)
David PIPE
Dan BUTLER
Mark O'BRIEN
Andrew CROFTS
Mickey DEMETRIOU
Robbie WILLMOTT
Matt DOLAN
Padraig AMOND
Josh SHEEHAN
Scott BENNETT
Lamar REYNOLDS
Fraser FRANKS
Jamille MATT
Keanu MARSH-BROWN
Tyler FORBES
*** vacancy ***
Mamadou TOURAY
Jay FOULSTON
Loan No.2 – as required
Loan No.3 – as required
Loan No.4 – as required
Loan No.5 – as required
So that's 19 definite+ (Labadie?) + assured another 'keeper to come+ trailist + speculation on further loans. Isn't this a big enough squad and how does this compare to other EFL teams? I appreciate that the 80s was a different era,.but as those of us who remember it and beforehand squads were a lot smaller then and even included part-timers! Afterall we are told we have a limited budget

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Joe DAY (GK)
David PIPE
Dan BUTLER
Mark O'BRIEN
Andrew CROFTS
Mickey DEMETRIOU
Robbie WILLMOTT
Matt DOLAN
Padraig AMOND
Josh SHEEHAN
Scott BENNETT
Lamar REYNOLDS
Fraser FRANKS
Jamille MATT
Keanu MARSH-BROWN
Tyler FORBES
*** vacancy ***
Mamadou TOURAY
Jay FOULSTON
Loan No.2 – as required
Loan No.3 – as required
Loan No.4 – as required
Loan No.5 – as required
So that's 19 definite+ (Labadie?) + assured another 'keeper to come+ trailist + speculation on further loans. Isn't this a big enough squad and how does this compare to other EFL teams? I appreciate that the 80s was a different era,.but as those of us who remember it and beforehand squads were a lot smaller then and even included part-timers! Afterall we are told we have a limited budget

Everyone, down to, and including the 2nd choice GK is required to make up a matchday starting line up.... so to my way of thinking we have TWO full signing vacancies, one of which, should be a GK...... make use of loans as necessary.
At the moment we're just short of a full starting line-up.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:You are probably right. Just didn't want us to be signing players who wouldn't be getting game and therefore wasting money unnessacerily. Of course with seven on the bench and the possibility of the two ex academy boys being loaned out for game time I can see the preference for 21+
Last season, at least 37 players were involved to a greater or lesser extent.