Re: The 18/19 squad...so far

newgroundrodney wrote:HERE ARE HOW MANY I THINK WE NEED:
(the squad numbers need re-assigning, but it's just a guide as to quantity of playing staff)

1......Joe DAY (GK)
2......David PIPE
3......Dan BUTLER
4......Joss LABADIE
5......Mark O'BRIEN
6......Mickey DEMETRIOU
7......Robbie WILLMOTT
8......Matt DOLAN
9......Padraig AMOND
10....Frank NOUBLE
11....Josh SHEEHAN
12........ ***Vacancy *** .... Was Ben Tozer
13....Lamar REYNOLDS
14....Tom OWEN-EVANS
15....Scott BENNETT
16....Mamadou TOURAY
17....Jay FOULSTON
18.... ***Vacancy *** ....
19.... ***Vacancy *** ....
20 *** 2nd Choice Goalkeeper ***
21....Loan No.1 - as needed
22....Loan No.2 - as needed
23....Loan No.3 - as needed
24....Loan No.4 - as needed
25....Loan No.5 - as needed

Ideally, no squad numbers higher than 25.....if we get the RIGHT guys in first time, we shouldn't need sky high squad numbers
Anyway, we're a lot more able to field a squad now, than we have been at the same stage in previous years...just needs tweeking.
I think at least three possibly four will go out on loan, one maybe two of the three waiting to resign won't and at least five new additions before the loanies

Would prefer no more than 2 loans and an option for emergency loans for keepers as a standard for all clubs. We should try and develop more home grown players rather filling ourselves with sub standard loanees and sending our players out. Obviously a reserve side would be great but more closed door or open friendlies is still an option. This would enable to management to observe players in match conditions rather reports from clubs using our players

Bush wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:
why would he want to play in the championship or league one at his age now?
My guess would be for the money
There’s a generation of players coming to retirement now who simply don’t need to earn championship especially league one wages. Premier league player, international player. What is there left to achieve? Play for hometown club maybe?
Agreed, and that's a shame. One of the joys of watching games in the seventies was spotting a former great plying his trade for a Division Three/Four side.

I was surprised by Angel Rangel's plan to play on for a season or two. It cannot be about the money, as he's presumably been coining it in for the past few years. Nevertheless I expect he'll find motivation a challenge if he winds up at somewhere like Crewe earning a grand a week.

ajs wrote:Would prefer no more than 2 loans and an option for emergency loans for keepers as a standard for all clubs.
Unless they've changed, last season's rules seemed fair. You can borrow a keeper outside the windows if you are left only with options who are very inexperienced - it's something like six career league games.

Happened to Port Vale last season. They started with two experienced keepers and two youngsters, one of whom they lent out. The main two got crocked and they brought in an emergency loan. He promptly got injured and they brought in another, who had a nightmare debut. They then turned to the original third choice.

It's not a direct parallel as it was before Christmas he suffered the same injury, but I noticed Nicky Adams at Carlisle - who was superb against us up there just before the Great Escape - has joined Bury rather than accept a new deal after recovering.

Can't blame any player in that situation, but we'd have to get Labadie for two years to avoid the risk of the same thing happening.

newgroundrodney wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Is our Youth team keeper up to stepping up to first team duties
I think the boy who went to Leicester was our next best option. No, what we need is a tried and tested keeper, who'll come in, not just to cover, not just as an emergency loan, but to actually CHALLENGE Joe for his starting place.
No reason why we couldn't get that on loan. The 3 England goalkeepers for the World Cup were loaned down to this level at some point and all did very well.

newgroundrodney wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Is our Youth team keeper up to stepping up to first team duties
I think the boy who went to Leicester was our next best option. No, what we need is a tried and tested keeper, who'll come in, not just to cover, not just as an emergency loan, but to actually CHALLENGE Joe for his starting place.
Given his consistency last season, does he really need challenging?