Re: The 18/19 squad...so far

newgroundrodney wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:We definitely need a GK to challenge Joe Day, and this should be our first signing.
In 58 games under Flynn, Day has started virtually every game, and we've let in 75 goals.
I know footy is a team game, but that's not a good record. He has no competition for his place and that's not OK.
There are variables of course but in any analysis the test of a goalkeeper is how many goals he concedes.

Newport County have a defensive record which is average. There are teams who concede more in League Two and teams which concede less.

I have never understood those who claim that Joe Day is the best keeper in League Two. He isn't. However neither is he the worst. He is a competent lower division goalkeeper.
Imagine how fabulous he'll be when he's got someone breathing down his neck for his starting place! :cheers:
Gianluca Buffon is now available :cheers: Doesn't want to play in Italy. Get here pal. :grin:

Bush wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Gregor Zabret,Swansea's Slovenian u23 keeper will be 23 in August so too old.He is effectively fourth choice so unlikely to get new contract there.Would he want to stay in S Wales?.
Talking about wanting to stay in Swansea I wonder if Leon brittan and Angel Rangel are willing to drop way down the leagues just to stay local maybe while doing their badges? Both have been there for so long maybe settled in the area.
They're not going to do it for free, and we probably pay per season what they've been making in a week.

SJG99 wrote:
Bush wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Gregor Zabret,Swansea's Slovenian u23 keeper will be 23 in August so too old.He is effectively fourth choice so unlikely to get new contract there.Would he want to stay in S Wales?.
Talking about wanting to stay in Swansea I wonder if Leon brittan and Angel Rangel are willing to drop way down the leagues just to stay local maybe while doing their badges? Both have been there for so long maybe settled in the area.
They're not going to do it for free, and we probably pay per season what they've been making in a week.
People said the same about Alan Tate and bauza when they left Swansea. Both ended up playing welsh league. If the pull to stay local is there for them then why wouldn’t they accept realistic contracts. I’d be disapointed if the club hasn’t atleast asked the question considering both play in two positions of need for us.

Bush wrote: People said the same about Alan Tate and bauza when they left Swansea. Both ended up playing welsh league. If the pull to stay local is there for them then why wouldn’t they accept realistic contracts. I’d be disapointed if the club hasn’t atleast asked the question considering both play in two positions of need for us.
In which case we're in competition with Bristol Rovers and Forest Green, who both pay more.

SJG99 wrote:
Bush wrote: People said the same about Alan Tate and bauza when they left Swansea. Both ended up playing welsh league. If the pull to stay local is there for them then why wouldn’t they accept realistic contracts. I’d be disapointed if the club hasn’t atleast asked the question considering both play in two positions of need for us.
In which case we're in competition with Bristol Rovers and Forest Green, who both pay more.
what wrong with asking the question though? I would even ask the question to James Collins. My guess is he will find a premier league team but if not why would he want to play in the championship or league one at his age now? surely after everything he has the achieved the final thing is returning home to play for his home town team.

Sgorio made a big thing of it when Tate joined Port Talbot, his weight had ballooned shockingly by then.

HERE ARE HOW MANY I THINK WE NEED:
(the squad numbers need re-assigning, but it's just a guide as to quantity of playing staff)

1......Joe DAY (GK)
2......David PIPE
3......Dan BUTLER
4......Joss LABADIE
5......Mark O'BRIEN
6......Mickey DEMETRIOU
7......Robbie WILLMOTT
8......Matt DOLAN
9......Padraig AMOND
10....Frank NOUBLE
11....Josh SHEEHAN
12....Ben TOZER
13....Lamar REYNOLDS
14....Tom OWEN-EVANS
15....Scott BENNETT
16....Mamadou TOURAY
17....Jay FOULSTON
18.... ***Vacancy *** ....
19.... ***Vacancy *** ....
20 *** 2nd Choice Goalkeeper ***
21....Loan No.1 - as needed
22....Loan No.2 - as needed
23....Loan No.3 - as needed
24....Loan No.4 - as needed
25....Loan No.5 - as needed

Ideally, no squad numbers higher than 25.....if we get the RIGHT guys in first time, we shouldn't need sky high squad numbers
Anyway, we're a lot more able to field a squad now, than we have been at the same stage in previous years...just needs tweeking.

Having a squad number from 1 to 11 doesn't seem to mean much to players these days.

Many of them incorporate their squad number into their social media tags and seem to prefer to stick with the same number season after season.

Gone are the days when you could look at the squad numbers of the opposition and ponder the level of turmoil in the squad since the start of the season.

daftasfxxx wrote:
why would he want to play in the championship or league one at his age now?
My guess would be for the money
There’s a generation of players coming to retirement now who simply don’t need to earn championship especially league one wages. Premier league player, international player. What is there left to achieve? Play for hometown club maybe?

I can actually see him returning to Cardiff for next season then maybe being available for county after that.