Re: April's Meeting - Minutes

Fourthousand wrote:
County#9 wrote:Out of interest Alan g Bryant is any of chesterfield debt due to the stadium/ wages they were paying when league 1 ?

We lost 350k last season and almost got relegated . This season we've made 900k plus and havnt got a pot to p*** in .

Something clearly isn't right and hasn't been for a long time but time and again we get the wool pulled over our eyes .

Best kit deal ever and we had 4 tenders but we've lost money on it and chose the worst possible one that is a million miles from us .
I don't know all the figs. and details but just look at the top line figs. being bandied about and it is no surprise to me that we have no cash. You say we lost 350k last year - take that away (it has to be paid) from the reported 700k extra this year leaves 350k - then if this year we were running similar to last then thete goes another 350k leaving zero. There were other bits and pieces but it doesn't amount to huge teserves and we still have to deal with cashflow (the barren summer months). Why is everyone thinking differently and so my premise remains - if we are are over gearing then what are we doing to address it? What project need to go on the back burner?
If the financial position does turn out to be as you suggest, then that means the people elected to run our club have prepared a budget in the hope of securing an unlikely profitable cup run.

If that does prove to be the case I hope to god that people will then realise supporter ownership for a club of our size is a disaster waiting to happen. It would prove that we are not sustainable at this level and that we need external investment to even stand still. It would also prove that supporters make equally stupid financial decisions as private owners.

Hopefully your suggestion proves to be wide of the mark because it would result in a huge vote of no confidence from me.

Just to add a bit more substance to my comment above;

Surely the obvious main advantage of being fan owned is that you will never have to worry about not having a club to support?

If that isn’t a given under trust ownership either then give me the rollercoaster of shit and bust every day of the week.

County#9 wrote:Alan g Bryant . He can ask the board and say he'd like Hayes but then it's upto the board or whoever to do the rest and especially check whether he'd signed for another club or whether he can play straight away .

This is what Paul Hayes said in the Argus after the Leeds game in January.

“When they found out that I couldn’t play for a while they could have terminated the contract, but they stood by me"

That indicates to me the club were not entirely at fault and had good grounds to sack him, all they did was back MF and PH, which incidental is exactly what LL was to later say in the board meeting what they should do. If Hayes had performed like Amond in the second half of the season it would not be a topic, it is only a topic because it is a stick to beat the club with to suit an agenda. Very sad.

Alan G Bryant wrote:My view is that we are no different to any other league 2 team in terms of plugging the gap. There is a period every year between May and July where we have major outgoings and no incomings. Anyone who takes an interest in other football clubs will know that every Chairman bemoans the same issue and most clubs lose money each season. As an example , look at Chesterfield's debt, Accrington's debt to Andy Holt or Notts County's to Alan Hardy. The latter clubs have had significant cup runs and still their owners have had to shelve out hundreds of thousands of pounds. Incredibly Chesterfield's debt is an estimated £10m, yet In comparison we contribute just £40k (maybe less) through the rewards and benefits scheme. We have no other tangible revenue streams, unless people are stupid enough to share Redwood's assumption that we are owed hundreds of thousands of pounds for the copious amounts of beer the County faithful have consumed.

Despite the hysteria from a minority the meeting will probably say that short term we are stable, long term we are not unless investment is sought and found, but who does not honestly know that? Even if there is significant investment there are still no guarantees of success as Chesterfield will testify.
Other than suggesting that financial stability and security should be one of the aspirations of this club, I do not have much of an idea of how we go about attaining it. Sometimes I wish I was a financial expert, but unfortunately I am not. My financial expertise runs to being the Treasurer of our local darts league.

In this league I have to compile monthly financial reports for the committee, I have to present an end of year statement where I am grilled about the financial predicament at our AGM. This questioning comes from our 'shareholders' namely the players.

Not once in ten years have I deemed this questioning to be hysterical. In fact, I welcome it because it means that the players have an emotional connection with our finances, i.e. they care. In relation to your comment, could you please explain who the hysterical minority are? Is the hysteria related to this mb, or does this mysterious hysteria happen at the club meetings? You have used a strong word and I would like you to explain it.

rncfc wrote:Just to add a bit more substance to my comment above;

Surely the obvious main advantage of being fan owned is that you will never have to worry about not having a club to support?

If that isn’t a given under trust ownership either then give me the rollercoaster of shit and bust every day of the week.
Be interesting to find out how many fans are signed up for the rewards and benefits scheme. If we have less than 500 it’s simply not viable for this club to be trust owned.

Developing Mike's point above there is one thing I'd add. When it comes to managing finances or anything else mistakes are inevitable. Anyone who expects perfection is being utterly unrealistic.

However if we are open to being questioned and being accountable then it is possible to learn from those errors. That is why I believe so much in transparency and frankly in my experience confidentiality is usually used as an excuse to hide embarrassment.

Ask yourselves this. When was the last time anyone involved with the administration ever admitted making a mistake? Alan G Bryant and Jimmy Exile are absolutely entitled to their points of view but when have they ever said that they didn't agree with something Newport County had done?

Very easy to simply accuse critics of being hysterical. I can't speak for anyone but myself but I would hope that any sensible person on this board would agree with me that wanting accountability is not the same as expecting perfection.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Developing Mike's point above there is one thing I'd add. When it comes to managing finances or anything else mistakes are inevitable. Anyone who expects perfection is being utterly unrealistic.

However if we are open to being questioned and being accountable then it is possible to learn from those errors. That is why I believe so much in transparency and frankly in my experience confidentiality is usually used as an excuse to hide embarrassment.

Ask yourselves this. When was the last time anyone involved with the administration ever admitted making a mistake? Alan G Bryant and Jimmy Exile are absolutely entitled to their points of view but when have they ever said that they didn't agree with something Newport County had done?

Very easy to simply accuse critics of being hysterical. I can't speak for anyone but myself but I would hope that any sensible person on this board would agree with me that wanting accountability is not the same as expecting perfection.
Of course the converse argument is when do you ever praise the football club.

For the avoidance of doubt , I did not agree with the Hayes signing, I did not see the point when we were almost safe and he was only ever going to be a stop gap, but the reality is that any supporter of any club can highlight a mistake a board or a manger has made in any given season and use it to accentuate a point or an agenda, that's the sad part.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Developing Mike's point above there is one thing I'd add. When it comes to managing finances or anything else mistakes are inevitable. Anyone who expects perfection is being utterly unrealistic.

I applauded the efforts to reduce prices for the Morecambe and Crewe games. I said I thought that the idea of only allowing ratified tickets from the Crawley game was a superb idea. I completely agreed with early season ticket policy. I said that I was pleased that minutes were being made available from board meetings. I was further delighted and said so that where matters were redacted that the fact that they had been redacted was not hidden. I was very clear that I would not have fired Westley as I thought it would do no good, and I clearly stated I was wrong and the board were right. Whilst I bought shares in the Trust it was more in hope than expectation, I thought it would fail to raise the money and not only was I wrong I said so.

There are many more, try reading my posts. :grin:

hi. Your paranoia is working overtime stan. also I disagree with loads the club do - try reading my posts.

Regularly pointing out you making yourself look daft doesn't make me a happy clapper. to confirm that my opinion is that the trust model doesn't work and we need an owner with deep pockets. think the board have done a great job though

Threadbare wrote:Think Bush's point is spot on.
The Rewards & Benefit scheme was announced with big fanfare but has not been cultivated in a way to be of much benefit at all.
Which means that one of two scenario are possible. Firstly as Bush believes, assuming I have understood him correctly, that the scheme is flawed and should be dumped, and secondly that the implementation of the scheme is flawed. By that I mean that the scheme could work if it were managed and marketed properly.

I don't have a view on which is correct however one would hope that the new marketing manager does.

Alan G Bryant wrote:

For the avoidance of doubt , I did not agree with the Hayes signing, I did not see the point when we were almost safe and he was only ever going to be a stop gap, but the reality is that any supporter of any club can highlight a mistake a board or a manger has made in any given season and use it to accentuate a point or an agenda, that's the sad part.
I see that you are quick to jump in and answer Stan's point. Agenda there perhaps? I did ask you a question earlier. Could you please enlighten us as to where you feel this hysteria that you mentioned is coming from.