Re: Ownership

Alan G Bryant wrote:
jollysuperstar wrote:Alan appreciate that you are employed by Newport County in what roll I have no idea.
Of course all your contributions will come with rose tinted glasses that's understandable.
IMO the 3 most important employees at any football club are of course the manager, the CEO and thirdly the Commercial manager.
The Chairman and board are unpaid.
Gavin is there to chair and lead the board as agreed by those who elected him to be chairman.
He wasn't appointed to dictate policy on his own, lets hope that was never the case.
It appears Alex cannot make any decisions without asking Gavin first to me that makes his job untenable.
He clearly has seen the opportunity to move on to better things.
I wish him well as I felt he was the only professional person on the County payroll.
Finance is 100% so important to us therefore if they had employed this young lady in the position of assistant or trainee manager I would have no truck with that but they have thrown her in at the deep end unfortunately.
No idea and none of my business but is she maybe off with stress related problems I certainly hope not. Have had that close by in my family
Who was going to train her up to be a competent Commercial manager perhaps Alan could tell us as I do not know anybody on the payroll capable of doing that, if there was somebody wouldn't they have the job anyway.
So many problems off the field and with Alex on his way and as Exile stated to which I 100% agree maybe the bird has flown, sponsors should of been signed up whilst we were having our few hours of Glory against Leeds and Spurs.
If nobody capable applied for the Commercial managers job it should of been re advertised and remained vacant until the suitable candidate was found.
Pay good money to get a good candidate who will more than pay there way for us and generate the finance we require.
It seems we will just soldier on hoping for another transfer fee and a possible cup run
Nothing has changed from the Billy Lucas days when annually he would flog somebody for £7/£10k and keep us going for another season.
The worry is that it is too late to get the sponsorship levels required to move another step forward.
I salute Rob for coming up with his idea that he has stated today but why did the old brigade never think how important sponsorship is for us to be successful in the future.
We have a contributor with 2 advertising boards who has not even had the courtesy of a phone call even.
how poor is that?

From what I recall people were having hissy fits because they did not employ her until January, now you're saying the board should have waited. Can you not recall the hysteria. Unbelievable
You do like the use of the word hysteria don't you. You used it once before and I asked you who was being hysterical. You didn't respond. Once again, please tell us who was hysterical regarding this topic. Do you equate the word hysteria with asking questions or being critical? Maybe you feel that anyone who doesn't toe the County line is hysterical. Please enlighten me, because I would really like to know.

I’m currently a commercial manager looking after international development, and there’s no way we can be judged as a successful business unless we are performing against targets which are set alongside a specific growth strategy (and aspiration). And this should be no different in a football club. As I see it there are 5 (regular) club income streams. Gate/Fans, sponsorship, catering/hospitality, merchandise and finally ad-hoc. That last one likely not applies to NC as the opportunity is constrained by the RFC and WRU.
All of the two top flight leagues, most of league 1 and some of league 2 see sponsorship as so crucial they employ relationship managers specifically to maximise that income reporting through the commercial hierarchy, but I don’t see that at NCFC. So my question is, if we as fans could see how each of those streams have performed against the targets which MUST have been set (I would hope), we’d have a better idea where the expense/income stream is failing. Just a thought.

much too logical mate and also would involve some transparency but totally agree that we cant just muddle along we have to be able to see what has improved what has declined there have to be yardsticks.
Then perhaps resource which I assume is limited can be allocated /targeted on an income stream basis, maybe to increase revenue or improve revenue on under achieving revenue streams .

AmberRundgren. wrote:I’m currently a commercial manager looking after international development, and there’s no way we can be judged as a successful business unless we are performing against targets which are set alongside a specific growth strategy (and aspiration). And this should be no different in a football club. As I see it there are 5 (regular) club income streams. Gate/Fans, sponsorship, catering/hospitality, merchandise and finally ad-hoc. That last one likely not applies to NC as the opportunity is constrained by the RFC and WRU.
All of the two top flight leagues, most of league 1 and some of league 2 see sponsorship as so crucial they employ relationship managers specifically to maximise that income reporting through the commercial hierarchy, but I don’t see that at NCFC. So my question is, if we as fans could see how each of those streams have performed against the targets which MUST have been set (I would hope), we’d have a better idea where the expense/income stream is failing. Just a thought.
Don't forget the other income stream - Football League funding.

That is the big carrot that encourages clubs to speculate to achieve/maintain their league status. I think Man Utd included this income stream as leverage to borrow funds to buy the club in the first place.

Absolutely right and fair point. I guess you could also include any extra tv income from cup runs etc too, but principally the bank account only comes from limited streams. But my only point is before we assess whether current management are achieving successful administration of the bank account, we need to understand their targets first. I’ve got my own opinion, but until I see performance against targets I can’t be fixed in my view.