Re: Ownership

Skate Exile wrote:Last summer this message board was full of posters telling us that Pete Madigan was going to change the world because he had more money than Les Scadding.

He got co-opted and then what??

We are still waiting Pete.
Who knows? Something to ask at the meeting I suppose.

Having £x in the bank doesn't mean people are going to part with it without thought. I imagine any benefactor will want something in return - it's the nature of the beast. Donating it to the trust for a group to decide on how it's used would cause all sorts of issues - awkwardness for a start.

Looking from afar and not really being in the know with anyone, I think what we have is our only option at this point in time. There just isn't anyone willing to part with big money for a stake in ......... nothing. There are no assets, and no future assets.

It is plain to see that we need the best people available that are willing to put their hands up to develop a plethora of income streams that will cover the 350K gap.

Some of these income streams (B&R, Club Shop, 50/50, Amber Army etc etc) are already in place but need to be run better and more profitably. This can also be done by reducing the playing budget, selling players, or having a decent cup run BUT the quicker we all realise that NCFC runs at a loss, and the quicker we realise that as owners, we need to fund this gap, then we all can move forward with supporting the team on the park.

To me, it's now pretty simple. The board is in place. The supporters are in place. We just need to create the 350K club now......

Beefy

newgroundrodney wrote:Until we sort out a stadium of our own, or a proper share in RP, I can't see what any business man would see in the club, certainly not in terms of completely taking over and ditching the supporter funded model.
We have no ground, no land, no retail units to let out, no car park to collect fees from, no function room to rent out, little to no share of beer / food sales. We exist little more than "on paper".
So for now, the status quo is probably the best way forward unless some single individual with lots of money can buy out RP, and use its potential extra income streams to get some returns.
What he said.

rncfc wrote:
Skate Exile wrote:Last summer this message board was full of posters telling us that Pete Madigan was going to change the world because he had more money than Les Scadding.

He got co-opted and then what??

We are still waiting Pete.
Who knows? Something to ask at the meeting I suppose.

Having £x in the bank doesn't mean people are going to part with it without thought. I imagine any benefactor will want something in return - it's the nature of the beast. Donating it to the trust for a group to decide on how it's used would cause all sorts of issues - awkwardness for a start.
I hazard a guess any director putting in money will do so when it suits them..Why give the County money for nought - the weaker we are then the stronger the individual becomes (if and when he/she chooses to play his/her hand). If money is put in then they will want the Chair/ to pick a team around him/her and probably buy up the other privately owed shares now in a take it or leave all wrapped up deal (thats what I would be looking for if I was in such a position.).

Unrelated to the above and a general view of other posters comments:

I don't believe what posters say about us having no assets etc - that is a very short term view. Once Chairman of the club, the next step could be getting overall control ('accept this or admin is inevitable' - I've heard many times similar at other clubs). Should the WRU walk away from the Dragons in a few yeats time then a stadium is potentially up for sale at a 'cover our investment costs' price. The owner of NC then could then bag himself a City Centre asset - either then speculate and develop the Club and postion it for takeover or if that goes bad then sell out for development. This is how it works - look 5+ years out - once you get control of the club you can do what the fxxk you want as opportunities present themselves.

A couple of observations firstly we didn’t have to but the shares from Les for £300k
He was willing to walk away for £50k
It was the trust that upped the anti because they thought it would be better to own the club and get the supporters to stump up the cash ??
Well that worked out well didn’t it
The group of ex directors were putting in money to build the infrastructure training base and had a very successful academy,
The trust have taken on the mantle and done sweet FA with the windfalls
Not easy running a football club
They are now looking for investors and business men
Well I think they had that in abundance with the old board,
The Trust way can work
You just need the right people
And as can be seen from one disaster to the next we have a board of complete ameteurs
Don’t have proper board meetings don’t turn up to supporters meetings
The list goes on and on just like my post
When are the people of newport who care for this club going to see what’s so blatantly obvious?????????

PMG wrote:A couple of observations firstly we didn’t have to but the shares from Les for £300k
He was willing to walk away for £50k
It was the trust that upped the anti because they thought it would be better to own the club and get the supporters to stump up the cash ??
Well that worked out well didn’t it
The group of ex directors were putting in money to build the infrastructure training base and had a very successful academy,
The trust have taken on the mantle and done sweet FA with the windfalls
Not easy running a football club
They are now looking for investors and business men
Well I think they had that in abundance with the old board,
The Trust way can work
You just need the right people
And as can be seen from one disaster to the next we have a board of complete ameteurs
Don’t have proper board meetings don’t turn up to supporters meetings
The list goes on and on just like my post
When are the people of newport who care for this club going to see what’s so blatantly obvious?????????
The list of directors is here:

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/club/staff-index/

So which of them do you consider to be complete amateurs, and conversely, which do you think have allowed the club to deteriorate to the extent that many people are assuming, having read the summarised minutes of April's Board meeting?

Might never be a right answer for this argument if we show a loss it’s where has the money gone if it’s a profit it will be why isn’t it bigger.im no expert accountant or know best way to run a football club but I have had some insight in to what it takes/ costs to run a club behind the scenes for a cpl of years.if we had owners who put money in that plugged gaps is that not the same as supporters who say we own the club putting money in. Both ways face the same problems.i take the view that many many supporters acquired shares at the time in the knowledge they would do so as a one off and not contribute outside of their normal match day expenses and I have no problem.their are also shareholders/owners who do contribute outside of normal expenditure how many and how much I have no idea.all of these people elected a board of people who were prepared to run the club on a day to day basis arguments for how well or bad this has been done will go on for eternity but they have that responsibility so until elections or another millionaire come along that is what we shareholders/owners asked for.not getting arguments about regularity of board or supporters meeting that for another time but I have one question when has there ever been a meeting of shareholders/owners who contribute outside as well doesn’t have to involve the board direct just to establish how much and how many are actually putting.if I bought a car I own it my responsibility for daily running costs and every now and again I know I will have an unexpected payment when something goes wrong no one fault it happens.so where I don’t think every share holder or supporter needs to know detail of every penny spent I do think the group who do contribute should be given a greater understanding of costs not personal details of whose on what but a breakdown of total playing staff,background staff and running costs etc.this group could then decide between themselves if and how much more they could or would be willing to increase contributions maybe this is where outside investment may look to be part of rather than feel the pressure of actually taking some control of the club at a director level

phil crump wrote:Might never be a right answer for this argument if we show a loss it’s where has the money gone if it’s a profit it will be why isn’t it bigger.im no expert accountant or know best way to run a football club but I have had some insight in to what it takes/ costs to run a club behind the scenes for a cpl of years.if we had owners who put money in that plugged gaps is that not the same as supporters who say we own the club putting money in. Both ways face the same problems.i take the view that many many supporters acquired shares at the time in the knowledge they would do so as a one off and not contribute outside of their normal match day expenses and I have no problem.their are also shareholders/owners who do contribute outside of normal expenditure how many and how much I have no idea.all of these people elected a board of people who were prepared to run the club on a day to day basis arguments for how well or bad this has been done will go on for eternity but they have that responsibility so until elections or another millionaire come along that is what we shareholders/owners asked for.not getting arguments about regularity of board or supporters meeting that for another time but I have one question when has there ever been a meeting of shareholders/owners who contribute outside as well doesn’t have to involve the board direct just to establish how much and how many are actually putting.if I bought a car I own it my responsibility for daily running costs and every now and again I know I will have an unexpected payment when something goes wrong no one fault it happens.so where I don’t think every share holder or supporter needs to know detail of every penny spent I do think the group who do contribute should be given a greater understanding of costs not personal details of whose on what but a breakdown of total playing staff,background staff and running costs etc.this group could then decide between themselves if and how much more they could or would be willing to increase contributions maybe this is where outside investment may look to be part of rather than feel the pressure of actually taking some control of the club at a director level

Any monies donated (there's the crucial word) via the B&R Scheme are done so as an OUTRIGHT GIFT, never as an investment. In exchange the Club has tried to offer certain rewards as a "thank you", some more attractive than others.
No outside business man is going to donate as an OUTRIGHT GIFT, unless he is a real County fan who doesn't want his money back. The chances of that happening are slim.
So what needs to happen is this:
(a) The Club asks fans' opinions by polling them on what the B&R Scheme should be used for.
(b) The Club then makes a big recruitment drive to get people involved in the scheme, once they are assured as to what it'll be spent on.
(c) The Club revamps the kind of rewards offered, perhaps with better rewards to attract business people, donating a much higher amount - which will involve some sort of free advertising for their business, squad visits to their place of business, sponsored Club car, etc. etc, but all in return for an APPROPRIATE level of donation........but no seat on the board, it's donation, not investment.

So for those posters who don't think the Trust model can work what would you expect/ need from a different model?
Can you say what level of additional investment you would expect/require each season going forward. What level of guarantees of this investment would you expect if any. What level of communications would you expect from the club and what in particular e.g. financial/minutes and what pressure would you put in place for more 'transparity' : would you expect the change just to happen as a fait accompli or would you expect our current Board to put it to Trust members for a vote. How would you expect to get your opinions heard/communicate internally with the owner? How many fans open meetings would you need/expect. How much effort /time would you expect the owner to put in. How would you like him to communicate the ending of his relationship with the club and communicate with fans on any financial difficulties:.If there was a windfall would you expect 100% to go to the manager for the playing side or to cover debts or back to the owner. What pressure would you put on the owner if he didn't make good his offers/plans/guarantees of investment.How would you expect the owner to work with the Trust/other fund raising arms. Should the Trust have a role on this Board.What level of confidentiality should they sign/ what would you expect if the Trust leaked Club information.?????????
Just like to know a little bit more detail.

Willthiswork wrote:OK, another thread 'tidied up'. I've also merged it with the 'tidied' original thread too. Keep this one on track please - I think this is an important thread that doesn't need immature comments spoiling it.
Threads develop.

My post makes no sense thanks to your tidying up. My view is that you are becoming a little too precious.