The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Posts

5616

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby neilcork68 » June 3rd, 2018, 9:56 pm

With competition in the buses in Newport now surely if we were to move to Newport Stadium either Newport Bus or NAT would see it as a viable option to run several buses from the city centre to the stadium on match days ???
fans are still judging the service when we may have had 100/200 using the buses when we played there previously. Now with crowds of 3500 they may expect up to 1000 to use buses rather than drive ?
User avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Posts

5736

Location

Cardiff, UK

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby newgroundrodney » June 3rd, 2018, 10:25 pm

neilcork68 wrote:With competition in the buses in Newport now surely if we were to move to Newport Stadium either Newport Bus or NAT would see it as a viable option to run several buses from the city centre to the stadium on match days ???
fans are still judging the service when we may have had 100/200 using the buses when we played there previously. Now with crowds of 3500 they may expect up to 1000 to use buses rather than drive ?




What I'd like to see is a string of dedicated shuttle buses. Pick up at one place and no stopping. The problem we had is the service buses ran the same number of buses regardless of the time of day, or antipated attendance. Then you had to cross the central reservation.
We'd need a dedicated shuttle bus that comes right into the stadium footprint.
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Posts

5616

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby neilcork68 » June 4th, 2018, 12:04 am

newgroundrodney wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:With competition in the buses in Newport now surely if we were to move to Newport Stadium either Newport Bus or NAT would see it as a viable option to run several buses from the city centre to the stadium on match days ???
fans are still judging the service when we may have had 100/200 using the buses when we played there previously. Now with crowds of 3500 they may expect up to 1000 to use buses rather than drive ?




What I'd like to see is a string of dedicated shuttle buses. Pick up at one place and no stopping. The problem we had is the service buses ran the same number of buses regardless of the time of day, or antipated attendance. Then you had to cross the central reservation.
We'd need a dedicated shuttle bus that comes right into the stadium footprint.


If it were to happen then the buses should not be allowed near the stadium car park until 15 minutes after the match because its like the wacky races trying to leave the stadium after the game. The Car park either needs another exit straight onto the SDR or stewards to Marshall the flow of traffic . Its supposed to be a one way system around the car park. Yeah thats until everyone trys to leave by the shortest way
no avatar
User

westsider

Posts

115

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby westsider » June 4th, 2018, 8:53 am

Which would severely compromise those who have to get another bus from town to home - particularly following an evening ko, with most buses leaving before 10.30 pm at the latest. I can just about make my bus by walking very quickly from RP into town - would have no chance from Spytty. Would we continue to attract 3500 I wonder - somehow I doubt it - there isn't the attraction of a centrally placed ground with other amenities in close proximity.
no avatar
User

North London Exile

Posts

309

Location

Hornsey Rise

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby North London Exile » June 4th, 2018, 12:17 pm

westsider wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
westsider wrote:And for those of us that bus, Spytty would be a no-no. Someone said on one thread or another that Spytty isn't that far out of town - it's a decent way when you come from the other side of town and would have to get 2 buses - one into town and another back out (if there even is one that goes near the ground). There are a number who bus from further out - Risca and higher up the valley. The return journey would be even worse and evening or Sunday games would be completely out of the question.

Pre and post match would be compromised - loved breakfasting in the Queens with loads of Leeds fans - couldn't have done that with a Sunday bus service trying to get to Spytty.



Its 50/5 isnt it some would find SP closer

And why not walk from town!! When we played at Somerton Park I would get the bus from Risca to town and walk over and back


In SP days we used to walk from the Handpost to SP and back. But then I wasn't a 63 year old with a dodgy knee. Can't see me doing that walk in good weather never mind 9.45/10.00 pm on a winter's night. So, that's why not!!


I know what you mean. I managed it at 62 on a night in March 2010 but there were rather special circumstances that evening as I was walking on air, having just witnessed automatic promotion to the Conference along with, IIRC, 4420 other fanatical souls; my first-ever overnight stay in Newport in a B&B at the top of Stow Hill. I remember the Argus billboards stating "All Roads lead to Spytty." No instructions on how to get back, though.

This year I'm just focusing on getting to Hereford, as I'm intrigued by reports of previous encounters. 'Twill be my first.
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

1390

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby Willthiswork » June 11th, 2018, 11:41 am

no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

1390

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby Willthiswork » June 11th, 2018, 11:42 am

Michael Flynn’s side start their preparations against Championship side Bristol City in Newport on Wednesday, July 11 (kick-off 7.30pm) in a clash that is highly likely to be at Spytty Park.

They travel to Undy AFC on Friday, July 13 (kick-off 7pm), Chippenham Town on Saturday, July 14 (kick-off 3pm), Penybont FC on Wednesday, July 18 (kick-off 7pm), and Hereford FC on Saturday, July 21 (kick-off 3pm).
no avatar
User

paleale

Posts

3

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby paleale » June 11th, 2018, 11:46 am

Willthiswork wrote:Stoke U23s

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/ ... _friendly/

#underwhelmed


gavin has a lot to answer for here. sack the board before the seagulls take over and we are all flipping burgers at dominos.
no avatar
User

DT1892

Posts

661

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby DT1892 » June 11th, 2018, 11:56 am

Willthiswork wrote:Michael Flynn’s side start their preparations against Championship side Bristol City in Newport on Wednesday, July 11 (kick-off 7.30pm) in a clash that is highly likely to be at Spytty Park.

They travel to Undy AFC on Friday, July 13 (kick-off 7pm), Chippenham Town on Saturday, July 14 (kick-off 3pm), Penybont FC on Wednesday, July 18 (kick-off 7pm), and Hereford FC on Saturday, July 21 (kick-off 3pm).


Undy's pitch looking good ahead of the new season.

https://twitter.com/UndyAFC/status/1006095420379095040
no avatar
User

Moretonman

Posts

1379

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby Moretonman » June 11th, 2018, 11:59 am

I don't understand the view that parking is difficult at RP but not at Spytty.

Plentiful parking in town, then walk over footbridge. As close, if not closer, certainly to the Hazell side, as just about any on-street parking. Not free, sure, but only £2.

At Spytty, the stadium car park was a nightmare even in Conference South (took ages to leave, unless you won the Le Mans dash to your motor after the game; never stewarded, so people were allowed to get away with parking randomly). With average gates three times what they were then, where would people park? Not sensible for the stadium car park to be free of charge, either, in my opinion. Most other clubs would charge at least a fiver - a handy earner.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

5735

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby George Street-Bridge » June 11th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Moretonman wrote: At Spytty, the stadium car park was a nightmare even in Conference South (took ages to leave, unless you won the Le Mans dash to your motor after the game; never stewarded, so people were allowed to get away with parking randomly). With average gates three times what they were then, where would people park?


I suspect the answer is they just wouldn't go.
User avatar
User

Marky

Posts

2744

Location

Mazeglaas

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby Marky » June 11th, 2018, 5:08 pm

Willthiswork wrote:Stoke U23s

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/ ... _friendly/

#underwhelmed


So for the second year running we weren't even attractive enough opposition for a National League club. :roll:
User avatar
User

daftasfxxx

Posts

4782

Location

Newport

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby daftasfxxx » June 11th, 2018, 5:34 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Moretonman wrote: At Spytty, the stadium car park was a nightmare even in Conference South (took ages to leave, unless you won the Le Mans dash to your motor after the game; never stewarded, so people were allowed to get away with parking randomly). With average gates three times what they were then, where would people park?


I suspect the answer is they just wouldn't go.

I also believe this to be the case, i think corkys 3500 over spytty to be about 1500 too many
no avatar
User

RThomas55

Posts

46

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby RThomas55 » June 11th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Would have been nice to have had a pre-season re-match with Tottenham Hotspur, but there we go.

Winnable games and hopefully they will set us up for the season ahead.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5277

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Postby pembsexile » July 9th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Apparently the County are due to play Haverfordwest County away on Sunday 5 August. 2.30 pm kick off. I can't find anything on the County website about this. It is on their website though. Anyone know anything about this.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Powered by phpBB ®