Re: NCAFC Supporters' Survey - Please take part !

whoareya wrote:You only have to look at the pathetic response to this forum's player sponsorship to see that even gently encouraging people to part with as little as a tenner is tortuous. With the amount of busy ******* on here, we should have kitted out the entire squad by now.
You want people to part with their hard earned. Do you believe that your foul mouthed rant is likely to encourage supporters to do that?

This was previously posted in this topic

“Rather than trying to squeeze £20 a month more out of the same old people, why aren't we trying to get 1500 new fans to come to a game once a month? That'd raise the same amount, improve the atmosphere and make”

Bravo. This appears to be the ideal foundation/starting point for discussing the commercial vision of the club which to my mind as a commercial director in the financial services sector is still not clear.

On the issue of the survey, the last time I voted for something without availability of clear and concise contextual clarity of what exactly I was voting for by those asking was June 2016.

whoareya wrote:You only have to look at the pathetic response to this forum's player sponsorship to see that even gently encouraging people to part with as little as a tenner is tortuous. With the amount of busy ******* on here, we should have kitted out the entire squad by now.
Totally unhelpful comment.
Why would anybody want to chip in with a comment like that.
Sure we all chip in but that's the reason I will put my contributions elsewhere towards the funds

AmberRundgren. wrote:I have a problem with the survey in that the fundamental question of ownership is presented as a simplistic choice. The facts are that all three choices have their merits depending on the current and future vision and aspirations of the club. They are also presented with absolutely NO detailed breakdown of how each choice would impact upon the club, so we are effectively being asked to give an opinion on something without any context or background data, strategy or vision. I really don’t know given no supporting information on how each choice impacts upon the club now or in the medium term, how anyone can cast a vote. PLEASE give us your strategy and vision under each category, and then I can vote based upon my considered response to each scenario. You can’t survive in business like this....

The purpose of the survey is to understand why after the initial money was raised by over 2k of people why we have lost members and whether going forward in the longer term Newport can sustain a fan owned club. It’s fair to say that since the Trust took over there has not been an concentration on promoting regular donations to increase the income.

The focus of the survey isn’t around the different options of ownership but how the Board can improve its relationship with the members, if there is more money available and what (if anything) do people want in return for their money. Improving this gives us the best chance of maintaining the current model, but we also need to know members thoughts around the options available.

If the results come back with people saying they want a change or that we cannot raise around £100k a season then that consultation starts and the strategy would be outlined from that.

AmberRundgren. wrote:This was previously posted in this topic

“Rather than trying to squeeze £20 a month more out of the same old people, why aren't we trying to get 1500 new fans to come to a game once a month? That'd raise the same amount, improve the atmosphere and make”

Bravo. This appears to be the ideal foundation/starting point for discussing the commercial vision of the club which to my mind as a commercial director in the financial services sector is still not clear.

On the issue of the survey, the last time I voted for something without availability of clear and concise contextual clarity of what exactly I was voting for by those asking was June 2016.

..... "we're selling to a Far Eastern business man. We have no idea what his plans are because he won't say"..... are you in favour, yes or no?
I'm not sure in reality we can expect too much info on every option to be honest.
On a separate point, "Commercial Director in the Financial Services sector"..... you sound like someone the Club could make use of to me!

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Good to see the survey - arguably, the Trust should've been engaging in this sort of dialogue more regularly!

My response focussed on two things:

1) That I prefer the Trust model to being at the mercy of private owners whose interests may not always align with those of the club. The problem as I see it is that we're victims of our own success, and our support cannot sustain the Trust model at league level. If that means dropping a level or two in order to make the club fan-owned and sustainable, that's something I could tolerate (sad though it would be). I suspect I'm in a minority on that - but a sustainable, fan-owned club playing good football in a ground with decent atmosphere near the city centre is far more important to me than over-reaching ourselves or ending up at the mercy of a private owner with malign motives.

2) The existing split between Trust Board and Club Board is deeply unsatisfactory. If fans vote their fellow fans onto the Trust Board, it stands to reason that we want those people to run the club - not to be sidelined so that cliques can co-opt other people onto the Club Board keep elected Trustees in the dark about things.
The idea of the two groups is that the Trust Group (referred to as the Community group) concentrate on the members and a strategy to ensure we have the money coming in as needed to make us sustainable and a competitive League 2 side (at present). Unfortunately this has not happened but now the Board is at full strength in numbers there can be a concentration on this area; the survey is one step for this aswell as strategy being discussed for Membership, R&B’s along with Corporate membership and fundraising (the money doesn’t just have to come from us members). When these have been finalised they will be communicated but it’s also important to include the members in these discussions and being open, I think last night was a good step in this direction.

Any ideas you have feel free to message us personally on here if that’s your preference and We’d be happy to meet up for a chat.

This was previously posted in this topic

jollysuperstar wrote:
Totally unhelpful comment.
Why would anybody want to chip in with a comment like that.
Sure we all chip in but that's the reason I will put my contributions elsewhere towards the funds
Harps, try and grasp the context of the comment before crashing in.

This is the only forum outside of Facebook and to be struggling to raise enough donations to cover one away kit is a depressing benchmark of people's interest or commitment to funding initiatives. We've already had several posters offering to top up the fund by putting additional money in. What possible reason could there be for not wanting to sponsor a kit - a direct contribution to the operating budget. You'll have to excuse me now - im off to renew my season ticket.

Colin Faulkner wrote:

The purpose of the survey is to understand why after the initial money was raised by over 2k of people why we have lost members and whether going forward in the longer term Newport can sustain a fan owned club. It’s fair to say that since the Trust took over there has not been an concentration on promoting regular donations to increase the income.

The focus of the survey isn’t around the different options of ownership but how the Board can improve its relationship with the members, if there is more money available and what (if anything) do people want in return for their money. Improving this gives us the best chance of maintaining the current model, but we also need to know members thoughts around the options available.
The key to attracting people is to make it as easy as possible to take up the offers.

Two examples of where people could have or might be lost :

A couple of years ago the Trust renewal wanted people to sign up to auto renew that sent you down a convoluted process to do so.

Secondly, look at the current GDPR data protection process - I got two or three separate emails for my Trust and Season Ticket details. Once I accepted them I got sent down another convoluted process of adding all my personal details again. We've all been bombarded with GDPR emails recently from lots of organisations but the County's is the only one I've had that needed me to spend time loading personal data.

I just closed both emails and probably won't bother to complete them. So effectively the club will not have received my 'opt in' response so won't be able to hold my details or make contact with me for further fundraising initiatives.

Whoever has been tasked with increasing supporter fund raising needs to get on top of these things once and for all.
Last edited by whoareya on May 24th, 2018, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Faulkner wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:Good to see the survey - arguably, the Trust should've been engaging in this sort of dialogue more regularly!

My response focussed on two things:

1) That I prefer the Trust model to being at the mercy of private owners whose interests may not always align with those of the club. The problem as I see it is that we're victims of our own success, and our support cannot sustain the Trust model at league level. If that means dropping a level or two in order to make the club fan-owned and sustainable, that's something I could tolerate (sad though it would be). I suspect I'm in a minority on that - but a sustainable, fan-owned club playing good football in a ground with decent atmosphere near the city centre is far more important to me than over-reaching ourselves or ending up at the mercy of a private owner with malign motives.

2) The existing split between Trust Board and Club Board is deeply unsatisfactory. If fans vote their fellow fans onto the Trust Board, it stands to reason that we want those people to run the club - not to be sidelined so that cliques can co-opt other people onto the Club Board keep elected Trustees in the dark about things.
The idea of the two groups is that the Trust Group (referred to as the Community group) concentrate on the members and a strategy to ensure we have the money coming in as needed to make us sustainable and a competitive League 2 side (at present). Unfortunately this has not happened but now the Board is at full strength in numbers there can be a concentration on this area; the survey is one step for this aswell as strategy being discussed for Membership, R&B’s along with Corporate membership and fundraising (the money doesn’t just have to come from us members). When these have been finalised they will be communicated but it’s also important to include the members in these discussions and being open, I think last night was a good step in this direction.

Any ideas you have feel free to message us personally on here if that’s your preference and We’d be happy to meet up for a chat.
Thanks for the response, Colin - helpful as always. From the outside, it doesn't look like a good structure, and I do feel as an elector that I'm voting for people to run the club who may end up being given no power at all, which is a shame. There may be good reasons for that, or it may not be an accurate portrayal, but I don't think I'm alone. Your post is helpful though in clarifying the rationale behind the split (even if I don't agree with it!).

Good to read about the plans for further fan engagement. Well done to those behind it; more power to your elbow.

Don't agree there. It is very difficult to get people to fork out more of their 'hard earned' when they may already have been paying on a regular basis to support the County in more normal ways. I think more emphasis should be put on fans who are not able to financially support the club via normal means.

I agree with the poster who said that we need to concentrate on new revenue streams, getting money into the club from people who don't commit other than pay at the turnstile. Pay attention to getting the casuals to join the Trust etc.

Colin Faulkner wrote:
AmberRundgren. wrote:I have a problem with the survey in that the fundamental question of ownership is presented as a simplistic choice. The facts are that all three choices have their merits depending on the current and future vision and aspirations of the club. They are also presented with absolutely NO detailed breakdown of how each choice would impact upon the club, so we are effectively being asked to give an opinion on something without any context or background data, strategy or vision. I really don’t know given no supporting information on how each choice impacts upon the club now or in the medium term, how anyone can cast a vote. PLEASE give us your strategy and vision under each category, and then I can vote based upon my considered response to each scenario. You can’t survive in business like this....

If the results come back with people saying they want a change or that we cannot raise around £100k a season then that consultation starts and the strategy would be outlined from that.
Hi Colin,

I can answer the first point. The reason is that people were under the impression that they were "saving" the club. Plenty of people donated who aren't regular fans of the club but wouldn't want to see us go to the wall again. After it was "saved" the donations stopped because the vast majority of ordinary people don't view voluntary, regular donations to a football club in exchange for nothing as a good use of their money.

Bottom line is trust ownership on its own will never work for Newport County. It couldn't even work for Portsmouth so what chance do we have? No fault of the elected people who all do a good job, it's just the world we live in.

I think the trust will be surprised at the results of this survey, and it may very well make continued ownership untenable but we'll have to wait and see on that front I guess.