Re: Rodney parade regeneration....

This is a great opportunity for the various stakeholders of the City of Newport to show some leadership.

Rodney Parade is currently the only professional sports stadium in the City so its important that all 3 of its major sports teams can succeed at Rodney Parade.

The County board need to recognize that they need to be part of the long term solution. What can they bring to the table to make Rodney Parade work for both them for the Dragons and for the WRU?

The WRU need to recognise that their business case makes more sense with all 3 pro clubs participating for the long term at Rodney Parade. What do they need to do to make the Rodney Parade lease work for Newport County? Kevin Ward has already stated that the current lease isn't viable

Finally the City Council should insist that any expansion of Rodney Parade allows for a viable solution for all 3 clubs. The alternative is either the County playing in another city, an expensive refurbishment of Spytty Park, or the County fold again. None of these are good choices for Newport.

Surely the business case for Rodney Parade makes more sense with all 3 clubs playing there. Lets make that happen

This should be a win win scenario. Lets hope common sense prevails
Last edited by Snowman on May 24th, 2018, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whoareya wrote:This looks like a rework of their previous plan to develop the stadium around student accommodation - would be good if the city council could exert some influence in the process to ensure football is integral to the development.

I wonder to what extent, if any, our remaining as a fan owned club, rather than an entirely commercial entity owned by business people, would help towards this.

As much as the preferred option is to be totally in control of our destiny, I think we have to admit that the paltry sum raised from the Trust model means unless that is increased many fold we will need outside investment, sooner rather than later.
Would hate to be a plaything of a rich individual so careful consideration is needed that allows the Trust a heavy influence.
Rather suspicious about the comments from David Buttress about " a great deal for The County" etc.
Think our card has been marked there.
Our options are limited. Can't see any possibility of finding land or money for our own stadium. Spytty is fecked, so unless Newport City Coucil want to be adventurous and realise what an asset a proper sports stadium is to the city we are struggling.
I think all of us of a certain age will realise that the prospect of NCC getting involved are slim, and Slim has just left town.

I can't see this idea working.The cost of finance will absorb any income and maybe more and it could be loss making. There are already lots of unlet office space in the area as well as empty restaurants.

Newport RFC was brought to bankruptcy by building the Bisley Stand.

BTW I hear that Newport RFC are thinking of quitting RP and building new facilities at Rougemont School.

G Guest wrote:I can't see this idea working.The cost of finance will absorb any income and maybe more and it could be loss making. There are already lots of unlet office space in the area as well as empty restaurants.

Newport RFC was brought to bankruptcy by building the Bisley Stand.

BTW I hear that Newport RFC are thinking of quitting RP and building new facilities at Rougemont School.
No.The Dragons debts were put against NRFCs assets and they got shafted.

rncfc wrote:http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/1 ... t_stadium/

We need in on this. Contribute towards the building costs, and share in the income.
It sounds a great project, but other than a dedicated bar for away football supporters, no consideration seems to be coming County's way. Not for the first time has Newport County AFC been excluded from being mentioned as a "stakeholder" or even an interested party.
My concern is that an away bar, can very quickly be changed over and used for a general bar, or any other purpose, or kept empty. Simply having an away bar, for me, shows no commitment in itself to NCAFC.

My gut feeling: our medium - long term future is not at RP, and we need to address it. We just don't seem to be "in the loop" enough for my liking. I hope things change but not sure they will.

The Dragons and the WRU don't give a flying one for Newport County to almost double payments for a supporters owned club with very limited resources proves that however they try to dress it up.
Just hope the council play hard ball with them over any planning permission if we are not included in their plans for the medium to long term, we brought more exposure to the city in general and added more income to local businesses than either of the rugby teams last season, hope the council realise that having a good fit for purpose stadium for ALL the major sporting teams in Newport with a City centre location is a good thing and not just for the Dragons.

The main interest of the Welsh Rugby Union is with Welsh rugby union clubs. The clue's in the name. The main interest of the CEO/owner/shareholders of the Dragons is the Dragons. Again the clue is in the name. Neither will do anything unless it is their interest to assist Newport County. That is not a criticism of them rather a criticism of any County directors, shareholders or fans who believe it could or should be otherwise.

Three options, work out a business plan which allows us to buy a stake in Rodney Parade. The main difficulty is selling that to the rugby. It really does require a very deft touch, liaison with the City Council, and a lot of fund raising and hard work. If it can be done and a 21st century sports stadium suitable for a city such as Newport materialises then for me that is the best option.

Second option is to develop our own stadium. After 30 years of the various regimes at Newport County faiIing to do this I don't think it is possible to do in the time scale required.

Third option continue to rent. That really worked out well for Newport County Mark 1 didn't it? One bad season and it's back to Spytty, St Alban's and 800 crowds on a good day.

Kevin Ward has a lot of influence in Newport. He's going to need it.