Re: Project 3700

A lot of it depends on away fans and how many they bring. We can't really legislate for that.
I think we should be focusing on increasing the number of HOME fans, from its present level, an average of 3162 last season, which was up from 2531 the previous year,an increase of 25% for LEAGUE GAMES ONLY.
Yes, some of the increase was due to having to attend one game to get tickets for the big game. One of our special offers (the £5 one I think) added some 1246 to the average up to that point.
Looking at the attendance figures in front of me, if they are just run of the mill matches, then Cheltenham, Colchester & Port Vale are the three games we should make £5, one price fits all.... all ages, all areas, sit or stand, away fans included. Over the three games, I estimate this would attract some extra 3929 fans in total, which over the season would increase the overall average by 170 per game..... so , last seasons average 3490 + 170 = 3660...... very close to the figure you give.
So three special offer games at £5 per person, should do the trick, or thereabouts.

** EDIT: Lost revenue is a consideration though.

excessbee wrote:Cheltenham are the last team we should ever offer a cut price deal to.
The number of COUNTY fans at home games against Cheltenham:

Season 2016-17...... 2234..... 11.7% down on the season's eventual average
Season 2017-18.......2685..... 15.1% down on the season's eventual average.

So it seems in terms of attracting County fans to RP , games involving Cheltenham are not that attractive a proposition.
It may not be the price, but I think the price is a factor. Lower the price and I think we'll add 50% to the gate, perhaps with more away fans too. I think 231 away fans from a team an hour's drive away is crap.

So rather, I think Cheltenham are EXACTLY the type of team we should involve in special offer deals.

newgroundrodney wrote:
excessbee wrote:Cheltenham are the last team we should ever offer a cut price deal to.
The number of COUNTY fans at home games against Cheltenham:

Season 2016-17...... 2234..... 11.7% down on the season's eventual average
Season 2017-18.......2685..... 15.1% down on the season's eventual average.

So it seems in terms of attracting County fans to RP , games involving Cheltenham are not that attractive a proposition.
It may not be the price, but I think the price is a factor. Lower the price and I think we'll add 50% to the gate, perhaps with more away fans too. I think 231 away fans from a team an hour's drive away is crap.

So rather, I think Cheltenham are EXACTLY the type of team we should involve in special offer deals.
Last season was midweek and it was chucking it down all night so that may have had a bearing on the gate your right about their away following though.

Bush wrote:There is a simple way and it’s how newport rugby got so many fans late 90’s. Everyone brought their wives and kids. It was a family day/evening out.
Naive comment. A couple of beer tents, bouncy castle and a rodeo bull didn’t pull the punters in. Tony Brown’s investment did. He paid for a quality squad - Teichmann, Raiwalui, Garvey, Marinos, Howarth, Montgomery etc etc. Won silverware and competed with the best in Europe. People support winning teams.

Port Vale actually have a good away following. But if we leave it late to switch the game to a Friday night after fans have made travel arrangements then we can expect to lose a few off the gate.

Not that we’d ever be so daft......

faerun exile wrote:
Bush wrote:There is a simple way and it’s how newport rugby got so many fans late 90’s. Everyone brought their wives and kids. It was a family day/evening out.
Naive comment. A couple of beer tents, bouncy castle and a rodeo bull didn’t pull the punters in. Tony Brown’s investment did. He paid for a quality squad - Teichmann, Raiwalui, Garvey, Marinos, Howarth, Montgomery etc etc. Won silverware and competed with the best in Europe. People support winning teams.
I think you both have a point. I used to go down to watch the Harlequins at the Stoop once a season and, while the quality was there in terms of the rugby, the post-match entertainment was second to none as well. They had bands playing after the game, multiple bars open and a friendly open atmosphere. The one thing I really liked was that they would let the kids play on the pitch after the game. What a way to integrate children into supporting a club, letting them emulate their heros on the ground they watch them play on. I realise that there are limitations with regard to Rodney Parade but I marvelled at what Harlequins were able to deliver.

George Street-Bridge wrote:To be fair, the Luton game was switched the other way which would have balanced this out.
I’m lost, George. How do Luton fit into the “fiver a ticket” equation? We’re not even playing them.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I mean the Vale game was switched from Saturday to Friday and it must have meant fewer away supporters.The Luton game was switched from Friday to Saturday and it must have meant more away supporters.
Last season Luton brought 589 on a Saturday. The season before, they brought 311 on a Tuesday night.