Re: Shall we give him a trial?

Percy plunkett wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:Didn't Darren Campbell turn out for us once, I'm sure i remember seeing him play
We had a reserve side for one season in 91/92 and he had a few games.I seem to remember him scoring at Birmingham.I think he played for Cwmbran and Albion before or after us.
That could be it though i thought it was a bit later,i used to watch the reserve games, i remember a keeper saving three penalties in one game once, can't remember the opposition but the keepers name was Tom Johansen
Last edited by daftasfxxx on May 31st, 2018, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Tom Johansen might have been the first Newport AFC player to get called up by his country - it was reported he had a call-up to do national service in Norway.
Anyone else remember that Scandanavian goalkeeper that played against Newport AFC for Ruislip Park, I think we scored about 8 and he still won MotM!

George Street-Bridge wrote:Johan Gunst. He was a Dutch navy chef working at a NATO base in London, we could have doubled the score without him. The game featured in a programme recently.
D'oh - which programme, need a catch up! That was a great game, Did he play in the other game, we only managed two in that one I think.

daftasfxxx wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:Didn't Darren Campbell turn out for us once, I'm sure i remember seeing him play
We had a reserve side for one season in 91/92 and he had a few games.I seem to remember him scoring at Birmingham.I think he played for Cwmbran and Albion before or after us.
That could be it though i thought it was a bit later,i used to watch the reserve games, i remember a keeper saving three penalties in one game once, can't remember the opposition but the keepers name was Tom Johansen
It does seem too long ago I agree but it was 91/92.It was our second and last season at Somerton.I was kitman for the AFC years and had three sides to kit out that season,all unpaid while working full time for myself.Looking back,I was either a superstar or an idiot considering it is now a paid full time role.Good memories though.

Willthiswork wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Tom Johansen might have been the first Newport AFC player to get called up by his country - it was reported he had a call-up to do national service in Norway.
Anyone else remember that Scandanavian goalkeeper that played against Newport AFC for Ruislip Park, I think we scored about 8 and he still won MotM!
Wasn't that the game in which the late great Brian Preece scored one of the best goals I have seen.

Cornish Exile wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
Wasn't that the game in which the late great Brian Preece scored one of the best goals I have seen.
P.Mallender, D.Herritty, D.Jarvis 3, B.Preece 2, OG

Cornish Exile wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
Yes! It was indeed amazing.