Re: Accrington Stanley Are Ace

Accrington are like Bournemouth and even county when we got promoted to the league are great stories on paper but in reality when you read into how much they spent to get where they are its not actually a story at all. The only true football story of modern times is Leicester winning the premier league. Yes they are a wealthy club who spent some money but they were against clubs who spent a lot more than them.

I'm with GSB on this one. Their slogan is (a bit of a) nonsense, truly. Stanley were dead, and well and truly buried, for around 5 years after folding in 1963.

Other clubs that were resuscitated with much shorter time spans (some more than once, and one or two I think just took a couple of hours), and so would probably have more claim to being a "club that wouldn't die", include County, Portsmouth, Huddersfield, Hereford, Norwich (~2 years dead), Swansea, Wimbledon, Doncaster, Leeds, Darlington, Stockport, Bradford PA, Workington, Stockport, Maidstone, Aldershot, Chester, Chelsea, Scarborough...

But good luck to Stanley. Stuck as they are, about 4 or 5 miles equidistant from the once mighty Blackburn Rovers and the now mighty Burnley, they do well to survive and prosper.

NearlyDead wrote:I'm with GSB on this one. Their slogan is (a bit of a) nonsense, truly. Stanley were dead, and well and truly buried, for around 5 years after folding in 1963.

Other clubs that were resuscitated with much shorter time spans (some more than once, and one or two I think just took a couple of hours), and so would probably have more claim to being a "club that wouldn't die", include County, Portsmouth, Huddersfield, Hereford, Norwich (~2 years dead), Swansea, Wimbledon, Doncaster, Leeds, Darlington, Stockport, Bradford PA, Workington, Stockport, Maidstone, Aldershot, Chester, Chelsea, Scarborough...
Rangers

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:How on earth do you make the gigantic leap from what I wrote to what you wrote?

They'd be even more admirable if they didn't make a rod for their own back with a slogan which is bollocks.
Grown men paying good money, and getting into a frenzy of anger, despair, elation over watching twenty two other grown men kicking a ball about a meadow for 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon. The entire bloody thing is bollocks.

If you don't get that you miss the point entirely. But for the young lads and lasses who go to watch Accrington Stanley that suspension of reality, that for a couple of hours their team is the greatest the world has ever seen, is what it's all about.

The team that wouldn't die may be bollocks, but it's happy bollocks. Do you really not understand that dreams and not reality is what it's all about? I suppose that the team from a post industrial Lancashire shithole who will probably come straight back down would be a more accurate slogan. But the team that wouldn't die is a whole lot more fun don't ya think?
My goodness Brendan, I did laugh out loud when I read that. In a bar in Tenerife, my wife asked me what was so funny. She liked the suspension of reality bit and so did I.

Where on earth would we be without that? If football is just a game of stats, logic and tactics then I would just not be interested. Emotion for your club just has to come into it. Says he, writing this with his County top on, 1000 miles from home. Quite sad, they are not even playing for a couple of months. :grin: