Accrington Stanley Are Ace

I've been reading a lot about them recently (for a project I'm working on). They have been getting a lot of positive press, and rightly so. It's staggering, given the size of the town, that they have a league side at all, never mind one that has just won the title. (Wealthy) chairman Andy Holt sounds like a top guy too.

But anyway, I read this and it made me smile. It's about manager John Coleman's ice-breaker for new players.
When players sign, Coleman offers them a race to the halfway line, with £50 at stake. “The new lads will look at the gaffer and think: ‘He must be 50-odd, I fancy myself here,’” McConville says, laughing. “He will put his money down and say: ‘The only stipulation is you have got to drink a cup of water halfway through.’ The new lads will think: ‘Well, yeah, I can drink a cup of water and still beat him.’ Then the assistant comes out with the water that has just been boiled from the kettle. It’s on the marks, get set, go and the new lads get to the water and they just can’t physically do it. He’s then just running past them as they are trying to drink boiling hot water. It’s just a little thing but he makes it a fun environment to come into.”

Re: Accrington Stanley Are Ace

George Street-Bridge wrote:How on earth do you make the gigantic leap from what I wrote to what you wrote?

They'd be even more admirable if they didn't make a rod for their own back with a slogan which is bollocks.
Grown men paying good money, and getting into a frenzy of anger, despair, elation over watching twenty two other grown men kicking a ball about a meadow for 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon. The entire bloody thing is bollocks.

If you don't get that you miss the point entirely. But for the young lads and lasses who go to watch Accrington Stanley that suspension of reality, that for a couple of hours their team is the greatest the world has ever seen, is what it's all about.

The team that wouldn't die may be bollocks, but it's happy bollocks. Do you really not understand that dreams and not reality is what it's all about? I suppose that the team from a post industrial Lancashire shithole who will probably come straight back down would be a more accurate slogan. But the team that wouldn't die is a whole lot more fun don't ya think?

George Street-Bridge wrote:"Accrington Stanley, the club that died" works better on all levels. "This happened and look where we are now."
Accrington Stanley 'The club that wouldn't die'.
I have heard better slogans but I have heard worse.

Accrington Stanley 'The club that died. This happened but look where we are now'.

Undoubtedly the worst slogan I have ever heard. And if they are bottom of League One at Christmas it's going to sound a whole lot worse!!

I really didn't like it a few seasons back when John Coleman spoke out against Carlisle United who were allowed to switch their matches to a nearby ground as their ground had been entirely flooded. I think that showed a distinct lack of class of empathy - the whole area had mass floods - it was all over the news. I'm sure he'd had been grateful for help if Accrington had been flooded.
Last edited by Ado on June 8th, 2018, 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Coleman’s issue was that Accy had five games postponed due to flooding but weren’t afforded the same courtesy.

EDIT: Having said that (based on something I read only this morning) I've just read a contradictory statement. Gawd knows...

"I don't think it's fair on the rest of the 23 teams who have to go to Carlisle when some teams won't have to go there.

"I just don't think it's anywhere near any shape or form fair.

"I've got nothing against Carlisle, I wish them all the best in their ventures and what they do, but it's shifting the rules.

"I've got every sympathy for the people that have lost belongings and homes, I'm not decrying any of that - I'm just saying strictly from a football point of view it's an unfair advantage to play at another ground."