Re: Winter break

I can't see the point of this at all. The reason given by the FA is to help avoid player fatigue at the end of the season. Logically, if that's the reason, then the size of the divisions should be reduced to reduce the number of matches played. All this proposal will do is cram the same number of matches into a season that is 2 weeks shorter than now.

G Guest wrote:I can't see the point of this at all. The reason given by the FA is to help avoid player fatigue at the end of the season. Logically, if that's the reason, then the size of the divisions should be reduced to reduce the number of matches played. All this proposal will do is cram the same number of matches into a season that is 2 weeks shorter than now.
A lot of talk has been around the winter break fixing mental fatigue rather than physical. Players are so fit nowadays that they could probably physically play all year round if they needed to, but I'd imagine the mentality needed would be massively draining.

I'm with you on the division sizes. Have thought they should look to develop 5 leagues of 20 in the football league for a while.

G Guest, that may be so but years ago some clubs played up to 60 games a season (including FA Cup, League Cup and European competitions). I think that it was Billy Bremner who said that the extra games didn't matter as the momentum carried the team (Leeds United, in his case).

If Leeds United/Liverpool/Manchester United/Nottingham Forest etc. could play about 60 games a season years ago, why can't they do so nowadays?

Cornish Exile wrote:It will be interesting to see whether any clubs take advantage of the break by travelling abroad to play friendlies.
This thought had crossed my mind - a 39th game by another means?

#scuadmoresrevenge