EFL Summer Conference

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9254

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 11th, 2018, 12:14 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:Well, yes. If I said colossal I think it would be colossal.

And the word "ordinarily" qualifies the thing about more than one sport anyway.


Let's examine this. It appears that the objection the EFL have is not about other sports being engaged by the various stadia but rather the amount of times the stadium is used for a sport other than football. And that makes perfect sense. And that would logically suggest that they would have greater objection to three teams rather than three sports.

Now as a matter of fact I agree that words should be given their normal meaning and if that is the case you are right. But by the logical criteria of why the pronouncement was made there is the possibility that it is not the case. I just think that it is a legitimate question to ask and whilst I think you are right and Collars' concern is probably no more than that, your arrogance in dismissing his or hers question with 'it's not really a pertinent question' speaks volumes.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

5617

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby George Street-Bridge » June 11th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Let's examine this. It appears that the objection the EFL have is not about other sports being engaged by the various stadia but rather the amount of times the stadium is used for a sport other than football.


No, it doesn't "appear" to be anything. The objection is to the number of sports potentially using a shared stadium. It says so in black and white.

And that makes perfect sense. And that would logically suggest that they would have greater objection to three teams rather than three sports.


No, because only a few days ago they had the opportunity to say exactly that in addition to or instead of what they did say, but they didn't. Fairly obvious point is that it gets far more complicated if three sports all want primacy of fixtures or to horse-trade when dates are being drawn up.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9254

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 11th, 2018, 4:28 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: Let's examine this. It appears that the objection the EFL have is not about other sports being engaged by the various stadia but rather the amount of times the stadium is used for a sport other than football.


No, it doesn't "appear" to be anything. The objection is to the number of sports potentially using a shared stadium. It says so in black and white.

And that makes perfect sense. And that would logically suggest that they would have greater objection to three teams rather than three sports.


No, because only a few days ago they had the opportunity to say exactly that in addition to or instead of what they did say, but they didn't. Fairly obvious point is that it gets far more complicated if three sports all want primacy of fixtures or to horse-trade when dates are being drawn up.


Sorry to have to point out an obvious flaw in your argument but it assumes there will never be a clash of League fixtures between Newport RFC and Dragons. Not to mention of course that both Newport RFC and Dragons are involved in Cup competitions.

That's a lie, I'm not sorry in the slightest. :grin:
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

5617

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby George Street-Bridge » June 11th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Possibly the most obvious point I've ever made here but the rugby clubs are at different levels in a hierarchy and one is a feeder to the other. They are under the same governing body, which even owns one of them and which would have the final say on rugby fixtures.
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Posts

5355

Location

Sheffield

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby Amberexile » June 11th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Just been in touch with someone who tells me that we were pushing for these changes.

Personally I thought we'd be pushing for plastic pitches
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9254

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 11th, 2018, 6:49 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:Possibly the most obvious point I've ever made here but the rugby clubs are at different levels in a hierarchy and one is a feeder to the other. They are under the same governing body, which even owns one of them and which would have the final say on rugby fixtures.


And if Newport RFC and Dragons have a home cup game over the same weekend that County are at home there will be chaos. In those circumstances one can see why firstly it would explain why the ELF would not want three teams in the same stadium. As I've said I think your analysis is right but for those reasons I am not sure.. And I certainly don't accuse people of being dogs sniffing turds in the park who simply disagree with me.

Now George moving, as you have said, Rodney Parade is the only show in town. If the WRU pull the plug, and for the same reasons as the EFL not wanting the chaos of three teams at the one venue, what do you suggest we do? Because if the WRU do pull that plug, I think we are history again. You are very good at telling people what won't work, what do you think will work?
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on June 11th, 2018, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

5617

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby George Street-Bridge » June 11th, 2018, 6:50 pm

One change I'd never be surprised to see on the agenda - although I don't think it ever has been - is a straightforward "No sharing with athletics".
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9254

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 11th, 2018, 7:09 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:One change I'd never be surprised to see on the agenda - although I don't think it ever has been - is a straightforward "No sharing with athletics".


And with Newport Harriers or whatever they call themselves these days having a 99 year contract on the Newport Athletics Stadium/International Sports Village/Spytty Park, if we had to return to Spytty how exactly do you see us avoiding sharing with the Athletics?
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

5617

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby George Street-Bridge » June 12th, 2018, 7:25 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:One change I'd never be surprised to see on the agenda - although I don't think it ever has been - is a straightforward "No sharing with athletics".


And with Newport Harriers or whatever they call themselves these days having a 99 year contract on the Newport Athletics Stadium/International Sports Village/Spytty Park, if we had to return to Spytty how exactly do you see us avoiding sharing with the Athletics?


Well, we're debating hypotheticals and all I've said is it wouldn't surprise me. If the EFL did decree that, plainly we couldn't play at Spytty in the EFL without removing the track. And maybe not in National Premier either, if we didn't have a ground which could be upgraded.

So maybe if that did happen the best course would be to join the Welsh pyramid. Forum members who only want to pay less than a tenner would get their way and the car park could cope. But as I say, wildly hypothetical.
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

1326

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby Willthiswork » June 12th, 2018, 7:44 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
And if Newport RFC and Dragons have a home cup game over the same weekend that County are at home there will be chaos.


Not at all, it has been done over the past few season where one team plays on a Friday, one on a Saturday and one on a Sunday - no chaos at all. Remember the last game of the Great Escape season? The Dragons moved their game to Caerphilly - no chaos! None at all!
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

5617

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby George Street-Bridge » June 12th, 2018, 7:48 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote: And if Newport RFC and Dragons have a home cup game over the same weekend that County are at home there will be chaos. In those circumstances one can see why firstly it would explain why the ELF would not want three teams in the same stadium.


All we know about the attitude of the EFL to having three teams sharing is that
- they approved our groundshare, and the experience may explain decreeing hybrid pitches from now on.
- they had an opportunity only days ago to rule against three teams, but they didn't.
- we also know they don't want three sports as opposed to three teams.

And I certainly don't accuse people of being dogs sniffing turds in the park who simply disagree with me.


It's my considered view of your general conduct here over many years with multiple users.

Now George moving, as you have said, Rodney Parade is the only show in town. If the WRU pull the plug, and for the same reasons as the EFL not wanting the chaos of three teams at the one venue, what do you suggest we do? Because if the WRU do pull that plug, I think we are history again. You are very good at telling people what won't work, what do you think will work?


Again, the "three teams = chaos" thing is something you are inserting into the debate as a fact when it isn't. The groundshare provides the WRU with a revenue stream from a tenant they can't replace and which is a potential buyer of a stake in the ground if they decide they don't want full ownership in perpetuity.

"What will work" is all parties recognising that if the WRU shove us out they'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face, and the same applies if we up sticks.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9254

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 12th, 2018, 8:15 am

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:One change I'd never be surprised to see on the agenda - although I don't think it ever has been - is a straightforward "No sharing with athletics".


And with Newport Harriers or whatever they call themselves these days having a 99 year contract on the Newport Athletics Stadium/International Sports Village/Spytty Park, if we had to return to Spytty how exactly do you see us avoiding sharing with the Athletics?


Well, we're debating hypotheticals and all I've said is it wouldn't surprise me. If the EFL did decree that, plainly we couldn't play at Spytty in the EFL without removing the track. And maybe not in National Premier either, if we didn't have a ground which could be upgraded.

So maybe if that did happen the best course would be to join the Welsh pyramid. Forum members who only want to pay less than a tenner would get their way and the car park could cope. But as I say, wildly hypothetical.
"


Okay let's develop this this.

Firstly and this is not hypothetical, the WFU control our destiny. If they pull the plug and they may do your belief is that our best bet would be to join the League of Wales.

Everything, the irate eight, the court case, the trips to Margate, Basingstoke, infinity and beyond, a complete waste of time and effort. As for club slogans 'football with a future' far bigger bollocks than 'the club that wouldn't die'.

Fifteen years on this board and my overwhelming view was that we needed to develop a stadium. We didn't and every one of us needs to apologize for that. Our collective failure. We failed to build a club and that means future generations of County fans will rightly think we failed them.

We can't change the past we might be able to change the future. For me your analysis is correct. Notwithstanding what Willthiswork thinks three games a weekend on one pitch is chaos. The WRU I think won't particularly want to be bounced into playing at Caerphilly. If Dragons were to be successful and have a European tie against the likes of Leinster or Racing they are not going to be happy to switch such a game to Caerphilly.

So for me there are only two options. We either persuade Newport City Council to invest in Rodney Parade as a stadium fit for purpose in Newport. Or be at the mercy of the WRU.
User avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Posts

5610

Location

Cardiff, UK

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby newgroundrodney » June 12th, 2018, 8:27 am

I'll ask this question again, because I'm sure I'm in some sort of matrix glitch or getting Mandela Effect, but was it not stated at the outset, that it was an EFL requirement, to (words to this effect) : " have a 24 hr rest period for the pitch prior to any football game taking place"...... was that NOT stated clearly? Because I'll tell you now, I'm going to start taking notes at meetings because people need to be pulled on what they've stated as fact.
As far as I was concerned the "24 hr rule" is in force, and has never NOT been in force, unless as I say, we were told wrong info at the time. Not dishonest, just wrong.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

5617

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby George Street-Bridge » June 12th, 2018, 8:35 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Firstly and this is not hypothetical, the WFU control our destiny. If they pull the plug and they may do your belief is that our best bet would be to join the League of Wales.


No, that isn't what I said. Read it again, a bit more carefully. If we found ourselves outside the League at a ground sharing with athletics at a point when the League decreed no more tracks, maybe it would be a solution. And it would satisfy one thing some forum users crave which is cheap football. But that's piling supposition on supposition.

Fifteen years on this board and my overwhelming view was that we needed to develop a stadium. We didn't and every one of us needs to apologize for that. Our collective failure. We failed to build a club and that means future generations of County fans will rightly think we failed them.


Silly histrionics. What's this ridiculous obsession throughout society with apologies?
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

5617

Re: EFL Summer Conference

Postby George Street-Bridge » June 12th, 2018, 8:44 am

The only timing thing I'm aware of is a rule that football can insist on calling off any other fixture on a shared ground in the 48 hours before an EFL game if it's feared that will jeopardise the football going ahead. But I've never heard of it being invoked.

One thing much less likely to happen now is the rugby cheerily ruining their own pitch, now they've spent a fortune it. Like they did when the ref let the Dragons and Newcastle have a say in a game going ahead which then couldn't finish.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Amberexile, Exile 1976, KALS, Stan A. Einstein and 55 guests

Powered by phpBB ®