Tweet from Flynn

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Posts

5530

Location

Sheffield

Tweet from Flynn

Postby Amberexile » June 11th, 2018, 12:20 pm

"Just to stop some rumours gathering the club has not had any bids for @padraigamond21 I’m trying to sign good players not let them go"
User avatar
User

JonD

Posts

1634

Location

Corridor of Uncertainty

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby JonD » June 11th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Nice
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9677

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 11th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Amberexile wrote:"Just to stop some rumours gathering the club has not had any bids for @padraigamond21 I’m trying to sign good players not let them go"


This will upset a lot of people.

Michael Flynn's quote that the club hasn't received any offers for Padraig. Not the same as Newport County will not sell Amond. Not the same as Newport County are unaware of any interest in Amond. It also begs the question why this particular message board rumour is worthy of comment when others aren't?

In fact if you wanted to fuel speculation you really couldn't have done a better job. As per Sir Humphrey Appleton's famous dictum 'never believe a rumour until it is officially denied'. By the way, every single player we have is for sale. That is true of every player in the UK.

For me there are two possibilities. Firstly Flynn is trying to keep Amond and this is a coded message to the board of directors. Secondly Flynn has let his mouth run away with him, the rumour was dead, it isn't now.
User avatar
User

Skate Exile

Posts

256

Location

Portsmouth

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Skate Exile » June 11th, 2018, 12:52 pm

I cannot say I am comfortable with our manager talking on social media about transfers.
User avatar
User

Mr Figo

Posts

684

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Mr Figo » June 11th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:"Just to stop some rumours gathering the club has not had any bids for @padraigamond21 I’m trying to sign good players not let them go"


This will upset a lot of people.

Michael Flynn's quote that the club hasn't received any offers for Padraig. Not the same as Newport County will not sell Amond. Not the same as Newport County are unaware of any interest in Amond. It also begs the question why this particular message board rumour is worthy of comment when others aren't?

In fact if you wanted to fuel speculation you really couldn't have done a better job. As per Sir Humphrey Appleton's famous dictum 'never believe a rumour until it is officially denied'. By the way, every single player we have is for sale. That is true of every player in the UK.

For me there are two possibilities. Firstly Flynn is trying to keep Amond and this is a coded message to the board of directors. Secondly Flynn has let his mouth run away with him, the rumour was dead, it isn't now.


Or he is trying to put to bed an unsubstantiated quote that appears to have have been circulated. We don't know the facts so why speculate.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9677

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 11th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Mr Figo wrote:
Or he is trying to put to bed an unsubstantiated quote that appears to have have been circulated. We don't know the facts so why speculate.


Forgive me for not being more clear. He may well be trying to put to bed an unsubstantiated rumour. If he is, he's gone the wrong way about it. That's what I meant by his mouth running away with him. Remember Justin Edinburgh has not spoken to Gillingham, Jonjo Sheridan is not going to.........
User avatar
User

Mr Figo

Posts

684

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Mr Figo » June 11th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:
Or he is trying to put to bed an unsubstantiated quote that appears to have have been circulated. We don't know the facts so why speculate.


Forgive me for not being more clear. He may well be trying to put to bed an unsubstantiated rumour. If he is, he's gone the wrong way about it. That's what I meant by his mouth running away with him. Remember Justin Edinburgh has not spoken to Gillingham, Jonjo Sheridan is not going to.........


Stan - I don't use Twitter for various reasons but one of which is that things can be taken out of context by those reading it. Now, I'm not saying that it was the right way to communicate it but the fact you have now generated various scenarios is fuelling a rumour that Flynn has countered upon. This is the danger of social media - simple fact is you know just about as much as everyone else and those scenarios have been generated in your head and not based on any fact - you are a lawyer and know we deal in facts not conjecture. All you are doing is simply tipping more social media lighter fluid on it!
Last edited by Mr Figo on June 11th, 2018, 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
User

JonD

Posts

1634

Location

Corridor of Uncertainty

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby JonD » June 11th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Indeed.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9677

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 11th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Mr Figo wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:
Or he is trying to put to bed an unsubstantiated quote that appears to have have been circulated. We don't know the facts so why speculate.


Forgive me for not being more clear. He may well be trying to put to bed an unsubstantiated rumour. If he is, he's gone the wrong way about it. That's what I meant by his mouth running away with him. Remember Justin Edinburgh has not spoken to Gillingham, Jonjo Sheridan is not going to.........


Stan - I don't use Twitter for various reasons but one of which is that things can be taken out of context by those reading it. Now, I'm not saying that it was the right way to communicate it but the fact you have now generated various scenarios is fuelling a rumour that Flynn has countered upon. This is the danger of social media - simple fact is you know just about as much as everyone else and those scenarios have been generated in your head and not based on any fact - you are a lawyer and know we deal in facts not conjecture. All you are doing is simply tipping more social media lighter fluid on it!


I think you're missing my point.

I did not comment on the Port Vale/Amond rumour. There may or may not be any truth in it, in any event no matter what anyone thinks players are tapped up all the time. As in Michael Flynn telling Amond that if he signed for Newport he would be playing every week. And I make no comment on the truth or otherwise now of the rumour.

My point is that Michael Flynn is responsible for the topic re-opening. My question therefore is whether Flynn would be better advised to keep his own counsel rather than spouting off on twitter? Don't believe me, let me show you. I don't want you to think about a white horse.

Leave it 10 seconds and what are you thinking about?
User avatar
User

Mr Figo

Posts

684

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Mr Figo » June 11th, 2018, 1:36 pm

I don't think the topic was ever closed - someone certainly reported it on this forum - and maybe other social forums. All Flynn has done is countered it - you are continuing its life with Yes Minister quotes and possible scenarios. I think you are trying to read too much into things myself - take a day off. I do, however, agree with you about keeping your own counsel in these situations. I'm just waiting for the next rumour to start and to see what you come up with next. I think we'll agree to differ on this one.

And it's Appleby by the way.....
no avatar
User

Justanordinaryfan

Posts

602

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Justanordinaryfan » June 11th, 2018, 1:41 pm

I can assure you that Flynny won’t need Twitter or any other form of social media to get his point over to the board.

I do agree though that he shouldn’t have tweeted it, I thought that the vey moment I read it.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9677

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 11th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Mr Figo wrote:I don't think the topic was ever closed - someone certainly reported it on this forum - and maybe other social forums. All Flynn has done is countered it - you are continuing its life with Yes Minister quotes and possible scenarios. I think you are trying to read too much into things myself - take a day off. I do, however, agree with you about keeping your own counsel in these situations. I'm just waiting for the next rumour to start and to see what you come up with next. I think we'll agree to differ on this one.

And it's Appleby by the way.....


Bet you're still thinking of a white horse though. :grin:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

9677

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 11th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Justanordinaryfan wrote:I can assure you that Flynny won’t need Twitter or any other form of social media to get his point over to the board.



Again mea culpa, I should be more clear.

The other scenario is that Flynn is firing a shot across the bows. The message he might, I stress might, be sending is. I don't want Amond to go. If he is sold it's you and not me who will be accountable.
no avatar
User

Justanordinaryfan

Posts

602

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby Justanordinaryfan » June 11th, 2018, 2:27 pm

I do agree on that, but I know him - he will have have told them all straight, and to their faces. - I do get your point in that it’s his way of us letting us Supporters, know that - sorry don’t know how to translate that to Latin / Greek or Croatian.
User avatar
User

JonD

Posts

1634

Location

Corridor of Uncertainty

Re: Tweet from Flynn

Postby JonD » June 11th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:For me there are two possibilities. Firstly Flynn is trying to keep Amond and this is a coded message to the board of directors. Secondly Flynn has let his mouth run away with him, the rumour was dead, it isn't now.


There are some who interpret no statement from the club on transfer speculation as equally unsettling.

I’d read a rumour (albeit seemingly initiated by someone I don’t have much respect for in terms of his gob) and this had been picked up and was being circulated. So personally I was very happy to read Flynn’s comment.

Things have, for better or worse, moved on since 1984 with regard to communication. Fending off an Argus journalist a couple of times a week isn’t going to cut the mustard in these overexposed times.

We all know transfer chitter will be going on between players/managers/agents backs. Any of our players could move on at any time. But Flynn’s statement should put minds at rest regarding the Port Vale rumour - at least until tomorrow :)
Last edited by JonD on June 11th, 2018, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Powered by phpBB ®