Re: Our future

whoareya wrote:
Bush wrote:
Risdale raised the funds to build the new stadium!
Whilst being dragged through the courts by creditors and HMRC

Yes he build up significant debts to a wide range of businesses and other creditors who were later given legal claims over the club’s property.

old ironside wrote:They just use it to train on so why do they need a seven lane track ? .Point is the track would put off a lot of fans who are use t to RP and the Council would be the one to negotiate.
Point actually is that the Harriers have ( or at least had ) a long term lease there :?
That’s why it’s always been fairly useless for a development project.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
whoareya wrote:
Bush wrote:
Risdale raised the funds to build the new stadium!
Whilst being dragged through the courts by creditors and HMRC

Yes he build up significant debts to a wide range of businesses and other creditors who were later given legal claims over the club’s property.
Either way, Bush has laid a classic bit of bait there which you've chomped all over. Great way of outing you as a Director.

pembsexile wrote:
RThomas55 wrote:Perhaps a future site for a new stadium for us?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/slow ... g-14777816

Caerleon Campus could possibly house young players coming into a future Newport County Academy.

The old Sainsbury's site by the Usk would be worth looking at, if still available.
Ffs don't mention the old Sainsbury's site. You can tell you are a new poster on here with only 30 odd hits! :grin:
Either that or a fantastically subtle troll!!

Can I ask a question, though not being from Newport it's maybe not my place to ask, but does Newport City Council do nothing at all to attract people to the city?.... are they happy to just let the place die, with potentially no university, no league football, no senior rugby, no real nightlife to speak of?...Will they only be happy when the remaining two theatres are gone, and every shop is a charity shop?
Seriously, it strikes me, that having a fit for purpose, jointly-owned stadium for three senior teams, right down by the river, within walking distance of the shops and university, to at least go some way towards attracting business and young students into the city, is an ABSOLUTE MUST for Newport......so let's get it done please!

I only troll silly people, so I guess that people on here are pretty safe ;)

To answer newgroundrodney, it could be a number of things:

* Apathy - 'nothing will change, even if we do try, so why even bother'

* Do people believe in the Council? If you were a Councillor, and constantly hounded online or in real life why should you care? Personally, I have little time for Councillors or Politicians of any colour or persuasion, but I do think that sometime the abuse they get is beyond the pale.

* The Council may actually want to make changes but money is short, so maybe businesses should start to get involved where the Council can't/won't. Perhaps businesses who invest in the community could be rewarded with taking a certain % off their tax?

* It might actually be a conspiracy to purposely run the City down into the ground - in which case, please watch for Illuminati Lizards coming out of the River Usk.

I still remain convinced that if we can find a site, find the right construction company, we could have a stadium built at cost price, in exchange for handing over certain commercial considerations in perpetuity to the construction firm: e.g, rental income from retail units, naming rights for the stadium (or the income from such naming) and one stand inside the ground, car park fees, income from events/concerts etc...
What would County get?..... a ground that they own outright, all the bar sales, all the food sales, hospitality bookings, conferences, wedding receptions, funeral wakes. Basically all the stuff we'd have if we owned RP. No lease, no license, ours forever. Yes, we'd have to forfeit some of the family silver I realise that. So when they sell the naming to Admiral, they get the money, not us.

It can be done. I spoke to someone in the industry at a trade event some few years ago, who said she felt sure it could be done. "There's no reason at all, why in theory a football stadium couldn't be financed that way", were her exact words. Just a passing conversation, but it was enough for me to believe it can be done.

So we'd get a £12M stadium for £5M-ish + probably the cost of the land.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My view remains that our only viable option remains to convince the local authority that Newport needs both it's football and rugby teams. That the best way forward is a shared future at a revamped Rodney Parade. A partnership between Newport City Council, Dragons and County could be in all our interests. For those of you living in Newport letters to your local councillors asking for their views and reminding them that you have a vote might not be a bad idea. Charlton Athletic did that very successfully twenty years ago.

All the other solutions seem to me to require a vast influx of cash. My preferred option of development of a stadium is not now viable as it will take too long to grow.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Thanks for your thoughts.

My view remains that our only viable option remains to convince the local authority that Newport needs both it's football and rugby teams. That the best way forward is a shared future at a revamped Rodney Parade. A partnership between Newport City Council, Dragons and County could be in all our interests. For those of you living in Newport letters to your local councillors asking for their views and reminding them that you have a vote might not be a bad idea. Charlton Athletic did that very successfully twenty years ago.

All the other solutions seem to me to require a vast influx of cash. My preferred option of development of a stadium is not now viable as it will take too long to grow.
It's a shame that the Council didn't buy RP, or provide a 'development loan' of £9m (as they are prepared to do for the Market) to help Newport RFC, Newport County AFC, the Dragons and themselves.

Willthiswork. That was my immediate thought when I read the proposal. I have no objection at all in trying to develop the market site, but just wonder the long term benefit. Help towards a mulit-use staduim in the centre of Newport would bring untold benefits to the city, not just sporting ones

Willthiswork wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Thanks for your thoughts.

It's a shame that the Council didn't buy RP, or provide a 'development loan' of £9m (as they are prepared to do for the Market) to help Newport RFC, Newport County AFC, the Dragons and themselves.
Perhaps that's what is coming, perhaps that's why all parties involved have remained silent?