Re: Our future

Mr Figo wrote:What about Coronation park? Where Newport Corinthians used to play - played there a couple of times. Plenty of potential -what's the current situation with ownership? A great background being the transporter bridge as well :grin:
The Travelling Community have "ownership" for about 4 months of the year .... would never happen !

whoareya wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Thanks for your thoughts.

My view remains that our only viable option remains to convince the local authority that Newport needs both it's football and rugby teams. That the best way forward is a shared future at a revamped Rodney Parade. A partnership between Newport City Council, Dragons and County could be in all our interests. For those of you living in Newport letters to your local councillors asking for their views and reminding them that you have a vote might not be a bad idea. Charlton Athletic did that very successfully twenty years ago.

All the other solutions seem to me to require a vast influx of cash. My preferred option of development of a stadium is not now viable as it will take too long to grow.
It's a shame that the Council didn't buy RP, or provide a 'development loan' of £9m (as they are prepared to do for the Market) to help Newport RFC, Newport County AFC, the Dragons and themselves.
Perhaps that's what is coming, perhaps that's why all parties involved have remained silent?
There is no way the Council can afford to offer two development loans of that amount!

Threadbare wrote:Willthiswork. That was my immediate thought when I read the proposal. I have no objection at all in trying to develop the market site, but just wonder the long term benefit. Help towards a mulit-use staduim in the centre of Newport would bring untold benefits to the city, not just sporting ones
Totally agree - no issues with the development of the market but surely RP was a better option.

A new stand on the south end could also of housed a (living) museum and library allowing the Council to sell the current one in John Frost Square which is PRIME estate for offices/retail.

It would of allowed the Council to have a good footprint just over the river to to host their many events like the BigSplash and Bonfire Night etc.

And not forgetting giving a more stable home to the likes of Newport RFC and Newport County AFC, especially as the Dragons are at the whim and curse of the WRU and could move or close at any time.

I said a long long time ago that Newport should bid for a Commonwealth Games - there is a lot of funding for new and diverse sporting venues that they could get, a pool, improve Spytty, the velodrome, rowing in the docks!