Our future

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User avatar
User

Bush

Posts

7350

Re: Our future

Postby Bush » June 14th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Risdale would have looked for investors. Since Tan arrived they have been in premier league twice and he is in control of the debt.
no avatar
User

RThomas55

Posts

46

Re: Our future

Postby RThomas55 » June 14th, 2018, 2:19 pm

A couple of things to consider:

The club must be a part of the city, not apart from it.

That means marketing the club properly- from the train and bus stations, to Friars Walk and local media (Nation Radio/Argus/Capital Radio etc.) Also, let's get the fans of tomorrow in today - Primary & Secondary School kids in for a quid, and perhaps money off tickets for those on low incomes?

We can't just rely on a big pay day in the FA Cup, great as the two games v Tottenham Hotspur were, so we will need to build up a solid fan-base that turns up regardless of the weather/what's on TV.

As for a new ground, well I can't really see anywhere else we could go other than Spytty should the WRU boot us out of Rodney Parade. Where else could we play?

Ground-share with Cardiff City - no chance, costs too prohibitive

Caerphilly/Bedwas/Cross Keys Rugby - would cost a LOT to improve these stadias to the required standards.

Hereford FC - possible, as Edgar Street is good enough for the Football League. Would they want us playing there, and would fans really want to make the hour's journey up the Welsh Marches to Hereford/Henffordd?

Kingsholm Stadium, Gloucester - a bit of a weird suggestion, but it is a stadium which would tick the boxes with regards staging Football League games. However, when Gloucester City enquired about using Kingsholm for their home games, they were told '£10,000 rent per game'.

Just have to hope for the best, I guess...
no avatar
User

rncfc

Posts

3173

Location

Caerphilly

Re: Our future

Postby rncfc » June 14th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Bedwas rugby club sounds good to me. I could literally crawl to matches.
no avatar
User

whoareya

Posts

1895

Re: Our future

Postby whoareya » June 14th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Bush wrote:Risdale would have looked for investors. Since Tan arrived they have been in premier league twice and he is in control of the debt.


You ignored the bit about his disqualification as a director.

Risdale asset strips and gambles that he can attract investors before it all goes pop. Cardiff would have gone the same as Leeds if Tan didn't arrive when he did. He's got it wrong more times than he's got it right.

You've slated Les's impact on the club, especially the way he left, but then applauded CB for attracting him and now say you'd have another 'Les'/'Tan' controlling the club.

You say Tan is in control of the debt? Do you mean Tan tolerates the debt and continues to subsidise the club, until he walks away or sells up when they get relegated again next May?
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Posts

6063

Re: Our future

Postby newgroundrodney » June 14th, 2018, 2:45 pm

RThomas55 wrote:A couple of things to consider:

The club must be a part of the city, not apart from it.

That means marketing the club properly- from the train and bus stations, to Friars Walk and local media (Nation Radio/Argus/Capital Radio etc.) Also, let's get the fans of tomorrow in today - Primary & Secondary School kids in for a quid, and perhaps money off tickets for those on low incomes?

We can't just rely on a big pay day in the FA Cup, great as the two games v Tottenham Hotspur were, so we will need to build up a solid fan-base that turns up regardless of the weather/what's on TV.

As for a new ground, well I can't really see anywhere else we could go other than Spytty should the WRU boot us out of Rodney Parade. Where else could we play?

Ground-share with Cardiff City - no chance, costs too prohibitive


Caerphilly/Bedwas/Cross Keys Rugby - would cost a LOT to improve these stadias to the required standards.

Hereford FC - possible, as Edgar Street is good enough for the Football League. Would they want us playing there, and would fans really want to make the hour's journey up the Welsh Marches to Hereford/Henffordd?

Kingsholm Stadium, Gloucester - a bit of a weird suggestion, but it is a stadium which would tick the boxes with regards staging Football League games. However, when Gloucester City enquired about using Kingsholm for their home games, they were told '£10,000 rent per game'.

Just have to hope for the best, I guess...

......................................................................................................................................................................................................
How much would Cardiff City want? I appreciate they wouldn't open all of the stadium, but how much would they want for the very limited bits they would open?... Could we have giant advertising drapes/banners across the seats to partly cover the costs?
no avatar
User

The Newport

Posts

231

Re: Our future

Postby The Newport » June 14th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Buying Newport Stadium and building a new stadium on that site is a possibility.
Buying into Rodney Parade is also a possibility and make Rodney Parade into modern day Football/Rugby ground.

We need to be talking to the Newport City Council about Newport Stadium.
We also need to be talking to The WRU about where we stand with Rodney Parade and whether there's a possibility that they would be willing to allow us to become partners with them in Rodney Parade.

As Stan said many times on here we should have been thinking about this along time ago. But unfortunately we can't go back and change the past. So let's look to the future and start planning now for the future of all sports in the Newport area. Newport is an up and coming and it has a future to become a major City in Wales and Gwent. There's a population of over 145,700 and an urban population of 306,844. The city forms part of the Cardiff-Newport metropolitan area with a population of 1,097,000.
no avatar
User

faerun exile

Posts

732

Re: Our future

Postby faerun exile » June 14th, 2018, 2:54 pm

whoareya wrote:
Bush wrote:Risdale would have looked for investors. Since Tan arrived they have been in premier league twice and he is in control of the debt.


You ignored the bit about his disqualification as a director.

Risdale asset strips and gambles that he can attract investors before it all goes pop. Cardiff would have gone the same as Leeds if Tan didn't arrive when he did. He's got it wrong more times than he's got it right.

You've slated Les's impact on the club, especially the way he left, but then applauded CB for attracting him and now say you'd have another 'Les'/'Tan' controlling the club.

You say Tan is in control of the debt? Do you mean Tan tolerates the debt and continues to subsidise the club, until he walks away or sells up when they get relegated again next May?


Last accounts submitted by Cardiff 2016-17 shows they are £115m in debt and lost £21m in the year 2016/17.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Posts

6063

Re: Our future

Postby newgroundrodney » June 14th, 2018, 2:58 pm

The Newport wrote:Buying Newport Stadium and building a new stadium on that site is a possibility.
Buying into Rodney Parade is also a possibility and make Rodney Parade into modern day Football/Rugby ground.

We need to be talking to the Newport City Council about Newport Stadium.
We also need to be talking to The WRU about where we stand with Rodney Parade and whether there's a possibility that they would be willing to allow us to become partners with them in Rodney Parade.

As Stan said many times on here we should have been thinking about this along time ago. But unfortunately we can't go back and change the past. So let's look to the future and start planning now for the future of all sports in the Newport area. Newport is an up and coming and it has a future to become a major City in Wales and Gwent. There's a population of over 145,700 and an urban population of 306,844. The city forms part of the Cardiff-Newport metropolitan area with a population of 1,097,000.


....................................................................................................................................................................................................
As I've wondered in the past, would they let us GRADUALLY buy it off them, or GRADUALLY buy a share of it?
The odd cup run here, a player sale there, and before we know it we'd partly / mostly own the place.
It's only a thought / hope / wish though.
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

1769

Re: Our future

Postby Willthiswork » June 14th, 2018, 3:09 pm

newgroundrodney wrote:As I've wondered in the past, would they let us GRADUALLY buy it off them, or GRADUALLY buy a share of it?
The odd cup run here, a player sale there, and before we know it we'd partly / mostly own the place.
It's only a thought / hope / wish though.


Put that money in a Stadium fund account to gain interest until we get an opportunity to buy?
no avatar
User

RThomas55

Posts

46

Re: Our future

Postby RThomas55 » June 14th, 2018, 3:12 pm

newgroundrodney wrote:
RThomas55 wrote:A couple of things to consider:

The club must be a part of the city, not apart from it.

That means marketing the club properly- from the train and bus stations, to Friars Walk and local media (Nation Radio/Argus/Capital Radio etc.) Also, let's get the fans of tomorrow in today - Primary & Secondary School kids in for a quid, and perhaps money off tickets for those on low incomes?

We can't just rely on a big pay day in the FA Cup, great as the two games v Tottenham Hotspur were, so we will need to build up a solid fan-base that turns up regardless of the weather/what's on TV.

As for a new ground, well I can't really see anywhere else we could go other than Spytty should the WRU boot us out of Rodney Parade. Where else could we play?

Ground-share with Cardiff City - no chance, costs too prohibitive


Caerphilly/Bedwas/Cross Keys Rugby - would cost a LOT to improve these stadias to the required standards.

Hereford FC - possible, as Edgar Street is good enough for the Football League. Would they want us playing there, and would fans really want to make the hour's journey up the Welsh Marches to Hereford/Henffordd?

Kingsholm Stadium, Gloucester - a bit of a weird suggestion, but it is a stadium which would tick the boxes with regards staging Football League games. However, when Gloucester City enquired about using Kingsholm for their home games, they were told '£10,000 rent per game'.

Just have to hope for the best, I guess...

......................................................................................................................................................................................................
How much would Cardiff City want? I appreciate they wouldn't open all of the stadium, but how much would they want for the very limited bits they would open?... Could we have giant advertising drapes/banners across the seats to partly cover the costs?


The directors of Gloucester RUFC wanted Gloucester City to cough up £10,000 per game, so I would say possibly double that.

Would not be cheap, in any case.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Posts

6063

Re: Our future

Postby newgroundrodney » June 14th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Willthiswork wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:As I've wondered in the past, would they let us GRADUALLY buy it off them, or GRADUALLY buy a share of it?
The odd cup run here, a player sale there, and before we know it we'd partly / mostly own the place.
It's only a thought / hope / wish though.


Put that money in a Stadium fund account to gain interest until we get an opportunity to buy?


Yeah, maybe. I'm thinking of us buying in 10 / 15 % lumps according to the then current valuation.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Posts

6063

Re: Our future

Postby newgroundrodney » June 14th, 2018, 3:24 pm

RThomas55 wrote:

"The directors of Gloucester RUFC wanted Gloucester City to cough up £10,000 per game, so I would say possibly double that.

Would not be cheap, in any case. "

....................................................................................................................................................................................................

If they're asking lowly Gloucester City to pay £10k a game, what they're really saying is they don't want football there at all.
I'm talking about Cardiff City. Could we, with sponsorship, advertising & donations, get the cost of renting CCS, down to the same level as we're currently paying on RP, but with no rush to leave?..... see, what we REALLY need, first and foremost, is to meet with RP and find out whether we can stay there or not. We need to have that conversation, and not leave it 'til 2022 to do it.
no avatar
User

The Newport

Posts

231

Re: Our future

Postby The Newport » June 14th, 2018, 3:27 pm

newgroundrodney wrote:
The Newport wrote:Buying Newport Stadium and building a new stadium on that site is a possibility.
Buying into Rodney Parade is also a possibility and make Rodney Parade into modern day Football/Rugby ground.

We need to be talking to the Newport City Council about Newport Stadium.
We also need to be talking to The WRU about where we stand with Rodney Parade and whether there's a possibility that they would be willing to allow us to become partners with them in Rodney Parade.

As Stan said many times on here we should have been thinking about this along time ago. But unfortunately we can't go back and change the past. So let's look to the future and start planning now for the future of all sports in the Newport area. Newport is an up and coming and it has a future to become a major City in Wales and Gwent. There's a population of over 145,700 and an urban population of 306,844. The city forms part of the Cardiff-Newport metropolitan area with a population of 1,097,000.


....................................................................................................................................................................................................
As I've wondered in the past, would they let us GRADUALLY buy it off them, or GRADUALLY buy a share of it?
The odd cup run here, a player sale there, and before we know it we'd partly / mostly own the place.
It's only a thought / hope / wish though.


If and I mean if The WRU do allow us to buy into Rodney Parade. I have a few ideas of my own.
If The WRU says no chance then the sooner the better we have those talks with the WRU at least we will know where we stand. And then we can start talking to Newport City Council about Newport Stadium. And what will help us and I'm sure that's one of reasons why Kevin Ward is on the Board of Directors because of his involvement with Newport Live. Who ever had that idea to ask Kevin Ward to put himself forward well done them.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

14015

Location

MT

Re: Our future

Postby Exile 1976 » June 14th, 2018, 3:34 pm

I would not set foot in c***iff city stadium to watch Newport County play it's home games .
Also, people moan about the lack of signage for is down Rodders, i simply cannot believe we would get anywhere near as much down 'their' stadium. Horrible idea Imo NGR.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Posts

6063

Re: Our future

Postby newgroundrodney » June 14th, 2018, 3:41 pm

Exile 1976 wrote:I would not set foot in c***iff city stadium to watch Newport County play it's home games .
Also, people moan about the lack of signage for is down Rodders, i simply cannot believe we would get anywhere near as much down 'their' stadium. Horrible idea Imo NGR.


It's 14 minutes by train, 20-30 mins by car, and 45-60 mins by bus..... a slight inconvenience,but surely better than: Edgar Street, Forest Green, Cheltenham, Bristol, and the like?....
I hope we don't have to leave RP, but we need to look at alternatives. Not to include Cardiff in those options, would be completely irresponsible in view of its closer proximity to Newport than any other realistic option.

I ask again, has anyone even ASKED whether we could go back to Newport Stadium to play?....who knows, they mightn't even want us there again.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Powered by phpBB ®