Re: Wales v Russia at Spytty Park

Memorable night for Welsh Woman's football and a memorable night for me and my mate.We arrived at about 6.45 expecting there to be loads of tickets left and surprised to be told it was sold out.We made our way around the ground outside and found a good vantage point in front of the velodrome standing on two concrete blocks on a ridge.We thought we may as well watch some of it from there.30 minutes of poor entertainment followed before two stewards came to the edge of the terrace at our end and informed us that we had been seen on security cameras and we would have to leave.We said that we would love to pay to come in and there was plenty of room for us on that terrace.They said that UEFA rules meant that there was no standing allowed inside the ground to which I said "but we are not inside the ground".They walked away but then two more security with walkietalkies came from the Shed direction saying we posed a security risk and could we leave.I stated the obvious that we were merely watching the game but was told that as we were on Newport Live property,we had to go.Not wanting to split hairs and argue that it wasn't Newport Live ground,we left.So we got thrown out even though we were never in so to speak.We missed all the goals that would have been down our end as well.Maybe our dark glasses made us look like spies or something.

G Guest wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Apparently derived from the welsh word for hospital i.e ysbyty. Allegedly a isolation hospital was located in the area in the middle ages by monks. Plague sufferers, Lepers perhaps ?
You're right. The name comes from the Latin word for hospital which is very similar to the Welsh word "ysbyty" which is derived from the Latin original. But the word was applied to a place of rest for travellers rather than a place for people who are ill. A place of hospitality if you like. Spytty is near the medieval Ridgeway which pilgrims travelling to St David's used. The monastery was at Goldcliff. Virtually no trace of it remains.

Hospitality in Welsh is "lletygarwch"

An isolation Hospital in Welsh is "ysbyty arwahanu"

A place of rest for travellers in Welsh is "lle i orffwys teithwyr"

Goldcliff was originally owned by the native princes of Wales, but was taken from Owain ap Caradog (also known as Owain Wan) son of the last king of Gwent, Caradog ap Gruffydd, by the Norman nobleman Robert de Chandos who, shortly before 1113, founded a priory there.

The Newport wrote:
G Guest wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Apparently derived from the welsh word for hospital i.e ysbyty. Allegedly a isolation hospital was located in the area in the middle ages by monks. Plague sufferers, Lepers perhaps ?
You're right. The name comes from the Latin word for hospital which is very similar to the Welsh word "ysbyty" which is derived from the Latin original. But the word was applied to a place of rest for travellers rather than a place for people who are ill. A place of hospitality if you like. Spytty is near the medieval Ridgeway which pilgrims travelling to St David's used. The monastery was at Goldcliff. Virtually no trace of it remains.

Hospitality in Welsh is "lletygarwch"

An isolation Hospital in Welsh is "ysbyty arwahanu"

A place of rest for travellers in Welsh is "lle i orffwys teithwyr"

Goldcliff was originally owned by the native princes of Wales, but was taken from Owain ap Caradog (also known as Owain Wan) son of the last king of Gwent, Caradog ap Gruffydd, by the Norman nobleman Robert de Chandos who, shortly before 1113, founded a priory there.
Wow, very impressed with forums members knowledge of the welsh language and local history, and all this triggered by Jason mohammed pronunciation of spytty ? I understand why he did, because as a fellow adult trying to learn the language he probably would have been told to pronounce the first 'y' in a multi syllabled welsh word as the 'o' in the English word honey?

Nevertheless all this distracts from the original purpose of the thread.
An excellent win by the women to raise the profile of their game.
Anyone know where the game against England will take place now? Will certainly need a larger stadium than spytty?

What a shame they had to play the game there. The ground looked awful and the pitch even worse. Glad the players didn't damage their ankles running in those channels. People really want us to move back there? simply awful. Why don't they play the game at the scarlets ground? atleast it would look more professional.