Wales v Russia at Spytty Park

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Re: Wales v Russia at Spytty Park

Postby Exile 1976 » June 12th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Good performance from Wales. Should be a good game against England.
no avatar
User

somerton moss

Postby somerton moss » June 12th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Totally agree mate women's football has improved greatly over the last 5 years. Wales do not concede so bodes well.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » June 12th, 2018, 9:00 pm

somerton moss wrote:Totally agree mate women's football has improved greatly over the last 5 years. Wales do not concede so bodes well.

Let's hope this is the start of a bright future for women's football in Wales.
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » June 12th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Blackandamber wrote:The women's world cup match at Spytty Park has sold out. Anyone know what the capacity is?

It's rather strange that Spytty is suitable for an international world cup match but isn't suitable for league 2 football. :o

it was 2000 according to the BBC
no avatar
User

Triangle

With the Panthers

Postby Triangle » June 12th, 2018, 9:12 pm

well dome Wales !!!!

Attacking the ball, not backing off along with great supporting play providing options.
no avatar
User

Justanordinaryfan

Postby Justanordinaryfan » June 12th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Loads of teenage girls in the crowd who look like they idolise these girls. Future looks rosey.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » June 12th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Memorable night for Welsh Woman's football and a memorable night for me and my mate.We arrived at about 6.45 expecting there to be loads of tickets left and surprised to be told it was sold out.We made our way around the ground outside and found a good vantage point in front of the velodrome standing on two concrete blocks on a ridge.We thought we may as well watch some of it from there.30 minutes of poor entertainment followed before two stewards came to the edge of the terrace at our end and informed us that we had been seen on security cameras and we would have to leave.We said that we would love to pay to come in and there was plenty of room for us on that terrace.They said that UEFA rules meant that there was no standing allowed inside the ground to which I said "but we are not inside the ground".They walked away but then two more security with walkietalkies came from the Shed direction saying we posed a security risk and could we leave.I stated the obvious that we were merely watching the game but was told that as we were on Newport Live property,we had to go.Not wanting to split hairs and argue that it wasn't Newport Live ground,we left.So we got thrown out even though we were never in so to speak.We missed all the goals that would have been down our end as well.Maybe our dark glasses made us look like spies or something.
no avatar
User

Dogger

Sunny Spain

Postby Dogger » June 12th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Didn’t see tonight’s game, but I did see some of the Bosnia game last Thursday. Jess Fishlock aside, the quality was awful. Some of the players literally couldn’t trap a bag of cement. I’m pleased Wales won obviously, but it’s a totally different sport to men’s professional football.
no avatar
User

The Newport

Postby The Newport » June 13th, 2018, 2:03 am

G Guest wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Apparently derived from the welsh word for hospital i.e ysbyty. Allegedly a isolation hospital was located in the area in the middle ages by monks. Plague sufferers, Lepers perhaps ?

You're right. The name comes from the Latin word for hospital which is very similar to the Welsh word "ysbyty" which is derived from the Latin original. But the word was applied to a place of rest for travellers rather than a place for people who are ill. A place of hospitality if you like. Spytty is near the medieval Ridgeway which pilgrims travelling to St David's used. The monastery was at Goldcliff. Virtually no trace of it remains.

Hospitality in Welsh is "lletygarwch"

An isolation Hospital in Welsh is "ysbyty arwahanu"

A place of rest for travellers in Welsh is "lle i orffwys teithwyr"

Goldcliff was originally owned by the native princes of Wales, but was taken from Owain ap Caradog (also known as Owain Wan) son of the last king of Gwent, Caradog ap Gruffydd, by the Norman nobleman Robert de Chandos who, shortly before 1113, founded a priory there.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

TrefGruffydd

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » June 13th, 2018, 6:40 am

The Newport wrote:
G Guest wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Apparently derived from the welsh word for hospital i.e ysbyty. Allegedly a isolation hospital was located in the area in the middle ages by monks. Plague sufferers, Lepers perhaps ?

You're right. The name comes from the Latin word for hospital which is very similar to the Welsh word "ysbyty" which is derived from the Latin original. But the word was applied to a place of rest for travellers rather than a place for people who are ill. A place of hospitality if you like. Spytty is near the medieval Ridgeway which pilgrims travelling to St David's used. The monastery was at Goldcliff. Virtually no trace of it remains.

Hospitality in Welsh is "lletygarwch"

An isolation Hospital in Welsh is "ysbyty arwahanu"

A place of rest for travellers in Welsh is "lle i orffwys teithwyr"

Goldcliff was originally owned by the native princes of Wales, but was taken from Owain ap Caradog (also known as Owain Wan) son of the last king of Gwent, Caradog ap Gruffydd, by the Norman nobleman Robert de Chandos who, shortly before 1113, founded a priory there.

Wow, very impressed with forums members knowledge of the welsh language and local history, and all this triggered by Jason mohammed pronunciation of spytty ? I understand why he did, because as a fellow adult trying to learn the language he probably would have been told to pronounce the first 'y' in a multi syllabled welsh word as the 'o' in the English word honey?

Nevertheless all this distracts from the original purpose of the thread.
An excellent win by the women to raise the profile of their game.
Anyone know where the game against England will take place now? Will certainly need a larger stadium than spytty?
no avatar
User

whoareya

Postby whoareya » June 13th, 2018, 8:13 am

I recognised a county fan on the Wales coaching staff sat on the right of the bench, the fella with grey hair. He probably posts on here.
no avatar
User

Justanordinaryfan

Postby Justanordinaryfan » June 13th, 2018, 8:43 am

That’s Murph ... part of the kit team, for the WFA. Does it for both Men’s and Women’s , surprised you didn’t seem in the Euros in France.
no avatar
User

whoareya

Postby whoareya » June 13th, 2018, 8:46 am

Justanordinaryfan wrote:That’s Murph ... part of the kit team, for the WFA. Does it for both Men’s and Women’s , surprised you didn’t seem in the Euros in France.

Ah, recognise the name now - seen him home and away for years.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » June 13th, 2018, 12:55 pm

They say the England game could be at RP now
User

Bush

Postby Bush » June 13th, 2018, 1:02 pm

What a shame they had to play the game there. The ground looked awful and the pitch even worse. Glad the players didn't damage their ankles running in those channels. People really want us to move back there? simply awful. Why don't they play the game at the scarlets ground? atleast it would look more professional.
PreviousNext