Re: Apparently there's a football tournament in Russia

pembsexile wrote:Morning Brendan. Yes I get that bit. The bookies responding to where the money is being laid, i.e. France. Shortening the odds so they don't take a pummelling.

This is the bit I don't understand. Brazil were really short odds favourites and Belgium beat them fair and square. At that time Belgium were the fourth favourites. In my book that makes 'le chips' the ones to beat in this tournament. I could be wrong of course.

I suspect that the professionals will be lumping it on Belgium and laughing at all the punters who may be helping them along the way. For Belgium to be third favourites out of four is ridiculous. As I say, for the professional punters there is serious money to be made. If you like to bet, us mere mortals will just have to accept it.
Hi Mike,

I used to know a professional gambler. He told me that the trick was to look for the value bet. He said also that in a horserace with three runners the outsider was often at too high a price.

For me France and Belgium are the two best teams left in the competition but clearly one will knock out the other. England will probably pick the sentiment vote. I don't bet myself but if Croatia have odds of more than 5/1 I would suggest that they are good value.

Edit
Just checked. Croatia are 5/1. 8)

excessbee wrote:One for the anoraks. There is still a 25% chance, all things being equal (which they probably aren't) of England playing Belgium in the final.
Have two teams from the same group ever gone on to meet again in the final in any previous World Cup?
Hungary v West Germany in '54.

Edit.

Should read other responses first. :oops:
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on July 8th, 2018, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Morning Brendan. Yes I get that bit. The bookies responding to where the money is being laid, i.e. France. Shortening the odds so they don't take a pummelling.

This is the bit I don't understand. Brazil were really short odds favourites and Belgium beat them fair and square. At that time Belgium were the fourth favourites. In my book that makes 'le chips' the ones to beat in this tournament. I could be wrong of course.

I suspect that the professionals will be lumping it on Belgium and laughing at all the punters who may be helping them along the way. For Belgium to be third favourites out of four is ridiculous. As I say, for the professional punters there is serious money to be made. If you like to bet, us mere mortals will just have to accept it.
Hi Mike,

I used to know a professional gambler. He told me that the trick was to look for the value bet. He said also that in a horserace with three runners the outsider was often at too high a price.

For me France and Belgium are the two best teams left in the competition but clearly one will knock out the other. England will probably pick the sentiment vote. I don't bet myself but if Croatia have odds of more than 5/1 I would suggest that they are good value.

Edit
Just checked. Croatia are 5/1. 8)
Yes, the value bet is where the money to be made is. However, a word of warning to those who may be seeing these games as a three horse race. They aren't. Yes, there will be either a win, defeat or a draw for any team in the last four. That is after 90 mins (when the bookies pay out). Unfortunately, the 90 min result can be skewed by one or both of the teams playing for extra time or pens and that has to be taken in when the bet is placed. That alters things considerably.

If I was a serious better, (only like a flutter really) I would lump it on a Belgium/Croatia final and I suspect that the serious punters are. Unfortunately I had a thought some time ago that it would be a France/England final so after the group stages when it worked out they could not meet until the final I did just that. Got 18/1 as well. Don't think it will happen now though. Belgium too strong. Also put money on Belgium then when they were 14/1. You will not get those odds now.

neilcork68 wrote:
JonD wrote:Just read this.

"Granddad, please can you tell me the story of how England won the World Cup in 2018?".

"Well, lad. It all started when someone bought Sam Allardyce a pint of wine..."

We would have been home already with him in charge, I'm sure.

I cant see us winning it but the feel good factor of the cup run has been good for the country. Long may it last....
If my life depended on it I would go for a France v Croatia final. With France winning.

If I were a betting man I would risk a few bob on Croatia as at 5/1 to me they represent the value bet. Also from the very beginning I have had a suspicion that England would come from nowhere.

Lump it on Belgium lads. 8)

George Street-Bridge wrote:We support a team overwhelmingly made up of English players every Saturday, why support one entirely made up of Croatians on Wednesday?
Well spotted G.S.B
Can't quite understand such Anti English sentiment....the youngsters deserve praise
Let's wish them well..
I'm sure the egg chasers will do well in the World Cup but it's not in my mindset to say I hope they fail,likewise when Wales play a footy match

mad norm wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:We support a team overwhelmingly made up of English players every Saturday, why support one entirely made up of Croatians on Wednesday?
Well spotted G.S.B
Can't quite understand such Anti English sentiment....the youngsters deserve praise
Let's wish them well..
I'm sure the egg chasers will do well in the World Cup but it's not in my mindset to say I hope they fail,likewise when Wales play a footy match

The English players that play for us are representing a Welsh team. I couldn't give a fig what nationality of the players that put on a County shirt are because they're representing the town I was born and grew up in.
Ingerrrrrrrrrrrlund are our nearest rivals and I would not want to see them win the World Cup.....if only for the reason that I don't have to go through the next 42 yrs of my life with them banging on about it like '66. :lol: