Re: Apparently there's a football tournament in Russia

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lowandhard wrote:I’m with Pembs on this. Surely it shouldn’t just be an aid to the referee when he’s unsure about the incident, it should actively draw his attention to an incident that he has entirely missed or misconstrued.
Absolutely. However what if an incident is missed by the referee and the video referee? My view is to allow a team a limited number of appeals. Perhaps two. If the appeal is upheld it's not lost. In those circumstances I doubt many teams would risk appealing a throw in on the halfway line. But for me England should have had two penalties last night.

Lest anyone think that I am biased towards England, I am firmly in the camp of there are 31 teams I can support in this world cup. However I try to call things as I see them.
Nobody arguing that kane was thrown to the floor but VAR did check incident and there is a push by stones that happened first. Why would England get a pen for an incident that happened after a foul they already conceded?

Bush wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lowandhard wrote:I’m with Pembs on this. Surely it shouldn’t just be an aid to the referee when he’s unsure about the incident, it should actively draw his attention to an incident that he has entirely missed or misconstrued.
Absolutely. However what if an incident is missed by the referee and the video referee? My view is to allow a team a limited number of appeals. Perhaps two. If the appeal is upheld it's not lost. In those circumstances I doubt many teams would risk appealing a throw in on the halfway line. But for me England should have had two penalties last night.

Lest anyone think that I am biased towards England, I am firmly in the camp of there are 31 teams I can support in this world cup. However I try to call things as I see them.
Nobody arguing that kane was thrown to the floor but VAR did check incident and there is a push by stones that happened first. Why would England get a pen for an incident that happened after a foul they already conceded?
In which case, VAR worked properly for one incident. My view is use the system and where it is used inform the fans why the decision was made. As in American football.

Bush wrote:People saying the NFL system works obviously don’t watch enough of it. I watch more NFL than football these days and the fans and pundits make more complaints about decisions over there than this World Cup. In both football and NFL it still boils down to one persons opinion. There’s no way a managers challenge would have changed any decision yesterday.
We all saw the game. I disagree with you, everyone else can make their own minds up.

In the last couple of minutes I have agreed with Loyalfoot, agreed in part with AlanBriant and disagreed with you. And still there are those who believe that those of us who have a brain and want to discuss matters are part of a group. 8)

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lowandhard wrote:Will be glad to see the back of teams who try to park the bus ( or in this case, the camel ) for 90 minutes. Roll on the knockout games. England were woeful after such a bright start, though as we found out you can’t afford to let Kane get unmarked in the box.
On what I have seen thus far an average team with one superb player has a chance. England are average and Kane is superb.
He was so poorly marked for his second goal, Shaun Jeffers could have put it in the net.

Cornish Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lowandhard wrote:Will be glad to see the back of teams who try to park the bus ( or in this case, the camel ) for 90 minutes. Roll on the knockout games. England were woeful after such a bright start, though as we found out you can’t afford to let Kane get unmarked in the box.
On what I have seen thus far an average team with one superb player has a chance. England are average and Kane is superb.
He was so poorly marked for his second goal, Shaun Jeffers could have put it in the net.
Agreed. The contrasts in how he was supposedly marked in the 6 yard box were very strange. On two occasions their defender arm wrestled him (via a neck embrace) to the ground, yet for his two goals there was no-one within two yards of him within the 6 yard box. He is either very clever and/or the defenders didn't do their homework.

Remind me, wasn't there another occasion this season wher he scored a 'tap in' in the 6 yard box without a defender anywhere near him?

If IR Iran had someone who could finish they could have got something out of this game. Had loads of good chances. That header over the bar from inside the 6 yard box was piss poor.
They played well though in fairness. Wouldn't surprise me to see them get something from the game against Portugal if they can put in another performance like today. (Although what was that dickhead doing on that throw in)
Spain looked poor defensively and not that much better going forward.