Re: Apparently there's a football tournament in Russia

If you read this thread I said that in a World Cup if England were in it there were 31 teams I could support. Anyone who seriously wants to know why I am so often right needs only to recognize two things.

One after Tunisia I said England had a chance. Two after Tunisia I said that England knew how to grind out a result. That's the first thing, I see the world as it is, not as I would like it to be.

Secondly I have the ability to recognize that as the facts change one should change ones mind. I said England were an average side but with one superb player. I was wrong. England are a good team. Not great, but good.

8)

There is some serious madness going on in the betting world for this World Cup. I think the professional punters will have a field day with the semi's.

France are the favourites over Belgium, 6/4 against 2/1. Really? England are favourites over Croatia as well, 13/10 against 5/2.

What I don't understand is that before the quarters with 8 teams left England were joint second favourites beside France and behind Brazil. Now we are in the semi's, with Brazil gone England are still second favourites behind France now. How do they work that one out? All I can think is that they are responding to the serious money which is going on France.

pembsexile wrote:There is some serious madness going on in the betting world for this World Cup. I think the professional punters will have a field day with the semi's.

France are the favourites over Belgium, 6/4 against 2/1. Really? England are favourites over Croatia as well, 13/10 against 5/2.

What I don't understand is that before the quarters with 8 teams left England were joint second favourites beside France and behind Brazil. Now we are in the semi's, with Brazil gone England are still second favourites behind France now. How do they work that one out? All I can think is that they are responding to the serious money which is going on France.
Exactly. Bookmakers respond to where the money is being laid. If people bet on France their odds will shorten. Why people place money varies. Professional gamblers try to find a value bet. However on big events people tend to vote on sentiment. Hence England always being amongst the favourites to win tournaments notwithstanding only ever winning one tournament, at home, over fifty years ago.

For what it's worth my view is that England have a chance in this World Cup. As do the other three.

Morning Brendan. Yes I get that bit. The bookies responding to where the money is being laid, i.e. France. Shortening the odds so they don't take a pummelling.

This is the bit I don't understand. Brazil were really short odds favourites and Belgium beat them fair and square. At that time Belgium were the fourth favourites. In my book that makes 'le chips' the ones to beat in this tournament. I could be wrong of course.

I suspect that the professionals will be lumping it on Belgium and laughing at all the punters who may be helping them along the way. For Belgium to be third favourites out of four is ridiculous. As I say, for the professional punters there is serious money to be made. If you like to bet, us mere mortals will just have to accept it.