Re: Player announcement at 5pm

jollysuperstar wrote:
County Exile wrote:Last season at Stevenage He was named Season Ticket Holders Player of the Year, BoroChat Player of the Year and Players' Player of the Year at the club's end-of-season presentation night.
Few points

Firstly I wish Fraser all the best at county.
But
It was the previous season that he won the accolades.
Unfortunately he was not offered a contract by Stevenage at end of season, surplus to requirements.
He had lost his place in an inferior team to us possibly.
The last quarter he was mostly on the bench.
We hope to progress this season

Ben White - Fraser Franks!

Appreciate we were lucky to get Ben.

One out TOE one in Fraser who I am sure will do okay but improve things?
Correct decision with TOE like Marlon nice chap but not up to league 2 standard.
My view as stated above is that he is a replacement for Ben White and that is the standard he must be measured against.

In fairness to everyone concerned that can only be judged on how he plays for us. It matters not that he was the player of the season, it matters not that he was given a free transfer. There are plenty of players who produce one year and are useless thereafter. By the same token there are plenty of players who have been released who go on to have spectacular careers elsewhere.

jollysuperstar wrote:
County Exile wrote:Last season at Stevenage He was named Season Ticket Holders Player of the Year, BoroChat Player of the Year and Players' Player of the Year at the club's end-of-season presentation night.
Few points

But
Unfortunately he was not offered a contract by Stevenage at end of season, surplus to requirements.

Correct decision with TOE like Marlon nice chap but not up to league 2 standard.
Wasn't David Pipe in a similar position when he rejoined from Eastleigh? There are a multitude of reasons why he may have been on the bench. Simple fact is we are unlikley to get the cream signings here who are first teamers- when are folk going to be realistic! I personally think it is a solid signing - let Flynny mould his team and hopefully get a team spirit.

jollysuperstar wrote:
Few points

But

A couple of points, he made 32apps last season which isn't too shabby, and he turned down a new deal with Stevenage and was not released as 'surplus to requirements'.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on June 19th, 2018, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Street-Bridge wrote:The trouble is White was arguably the best young defender in the division last season, he set the bar very high for anyone coming in permanently or on loan. I like the fact Franks has been promoted and has captained England C.
Again you fail to understand the point.

If I am right that Franks is a direct replacement for White then if he is not as good a player as White then Newport County are a weaker team than they were last season. It really is that simple. I have no doubt that replacements will be brought in for the players who left the club last season. Where such a player was a first team regular that will effect the quality of the team.

It may be that although White was exceptionally talented that he made mistakes that the more experienced Franks won't. The only thing to do is to see how it goes.

My view is that last season we had two players who will be difficult to replace. White is one Labadie is the other. I further believe that Labadie needs to be replaced. He is not going to be available for a good part of the season in any event.

Until however those replacements are found and playing then it is unfair to judge. It is also true it may be any loss is compensated for by better players being brought in to replace/challenge current first team regulars.

Last season we were mid-table. Two or three very good signings and we might challenge. Two or three poor signings and it could be a struggle. For many teams in League Two it was ever thus.

Exile 1976 wrote:
jollysuperstar wrote:
Few points

But

A couple of points, he made 32apps last season which isn't too shabby, and he turned down a new deal with Stevenage and was not released as 'surplus to requirements'.
Definitely not offered a contract. He was released. https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2018/m ... -20172018/

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:The trouble is White was arguably the best young defender in the division last season, he set the bar very high for anyone coming in permanently or on loan. I like the fact Franks has been promoted and has captained England C.
Again you fail to understand the point.
What point? I'm just offering my view on Franks as a signing. You need to stop thinking debate here revolves around your contributions, that's only inside your own head.

Bush wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
jollysuperstar wrote: Few points

But

Definitely not offered a contract. He was released. https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2018/m ... -20172018/

That just says he was one of those players out of contract and or released.

This article and tweet from him suggests he was definitely offered a new deal.

https://staceywest.net/2018/05/09/lets- ... n-at-city/

George Street-Bridge wrote:
What point? I'm just offering my view on Franks as a signing. You need to stop thinking debate here revolves around your contributions, that's only inside your own head.
The point George is that if Franks is not as good as White then Newport County will all other things being equal not be as good next season as they were last season.

That White was an exceptionally gifted player is neither here nor there.

I am though grateful that you can reply to Corkie by saying that people can express their opinions on here and that he is talking 'nonsense' to suggest otherwise whilst on the same morning tell me how I need to stop thinking.

You are and endless supply of mirth George, you should enter one of those TV talent shows, you really should. :grin:

Alan G Bryant wrote:The Stevenage released list states clearly players either out of contract or released.

Franks was offered a contract but turned them down.
No the list says 7 players have been released after speaking to the manager. When we released our list it said contracts have been offered to tozer, nouble and labadie. Looks like when new manager came in he didn’t fancy him. He only made 22 starts all season.

Alan G Bryant wrote:The Stevenage released list states clearly players either out of contract in June and/or released. Franks was offered a contract but turned them down.
He may have been Alan. From what I have seen both sides of this debate have not convinced me either way. Franks may have been offered a contract he turned down or he may have been released.

If you are sure that you are correct perhaps you could tell us why.